MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

I'm embarrased to admit I've spilled coffee on my new MPV. I've tried McGuire's carpet cleaner, Target brand, Blue Coral, and even that pink stuff from TV (I think it's the Magic). But the stain has only been lightened a couple of shades.

I drink very strong coffee, but I thought a new carpet would have the highest degree of protection still in it.

Please, someone steer me towards some miracle cure/product! Cry

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

Hmm, I think Java should be able to help you with this one poke
Scott
'03 MPV LX/GFX Midnight Blue
'98 Volvo V70 T5
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

Baaad, Beach. Cheeky today, eh?

You can try some Tide laundry detergent and a stiff-bristled brush. I've also had good results w/ Resolve High Traffic cleaner, in the powder form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
footdoc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

I have found th TUFF STUFF brand to work very well. If all else fails a very dilute solution of clorox will help.
2002 shimmering sand lx, fog lights, roof rack
swiftturtle
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

How about that Oxyclean stuff. It really doesn't work as advertised but for organic stains it seems to work pretty good.
2003 ES Coastal Blue Metallic
Medicineman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

I find that the liquid resolve for pet stains works well if you use a really stiff brush and brush it back and forth. We follow this up by putting hot water into our steam cleaner along with some resolve steam cleaner solution. Our steam cleaner has an upholstery attachment that we use for the cars.

I find that this method, although time consuming, gets out almost anything except for red Koolaid stains. (That'd be why red Koolaid has gotten the ban hammer in my house). I got some stains out of my Altima when I traded it that I never dreamed would come out.

Garrick

2004 Silver ES

2000 Red Nissan Frontier XE w/sport package
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Art

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

swiftturtle wrote:

How about that Oxyclean stuff. It really doesn't work as advertised but for organic stains it seems to work pretty good.

I would test Oxyclean first in a small area, but I have definetely found it will work where other things failed.
Art
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

Cheeky? Usually Razz Hope I don't offend, just like to have fun Big Laugh You guys are all great sports!

More to the topic: I know DMC recommends the Bissell Little Green Machine carpet cleaner. One of these days when I have some spare change laying around, I'm going to go get myself one, although I don't think they're that expensive iirc. Resolve, while good for many surface stains, would have trouble cleaning the deep-down stains. It seems like you would need like a steam cleaner to put down, dissolve, and pull back up.

Scott
'03 MPV LX/GFX Midnight Blue
'98 Volvo V70 T5
j2kbarlow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

I found two products at Lowe's hardware this past weekend that I'd recommend. First try Spot Shot. I used it on our house carpet this weekend to remove ground in lipstick - all gone! Neither the "Capture" brand dry powder or Oxyclean made the lipstick budge.

The other product is for red stains - Johnson Wax Professional Red Stain Remover. We have a 9-month-old red fruit punch stain in the MPV that nothing has been able to touch and the JWPRSR is working on it. It's not completely gone yet, but a few more attacks and some elbow grease should take care of it.

I've gotten good results from "Capture" brand powder, but for those really tough stains, give one of these products a try.

1993 Miata - 'A' Package - White - 159k miles and counting
2001 MPV - LX Security Package - Rainforest Green - 84K miles and counting
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

Here is a site with info on removing all sorts of stains from carpets, including coffee. Hope it helps.
Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:38 am    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

Beachnut wrote:

I know DMC recommends the Bissell Little Green Machine carpet cleaner. One of these days when I have some spare change laying around, I'm going to go get myself one, although I don't think they're that expensive iirc.

I checked them out and they are $70 at K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc. Sale prices might be better.

We haven't used one yet, but will borrow one from my wife's work to try it out. I checked Consumer Reports and they tested them a few years back, but didn't regard them very highly. But I think Dean and the maintenance guy where my wife works both swear by them. If it works for you and does the job, who cares what CR says.

I believe the Little Green squirts some detergent solution on the stain, and then there is a brush on the end of (motor powered brush or human powered brush???) that 'scrubs' the stain, and then the vacuum draws the solution (and presumably the dirt as well Wink out of the upholstery.

I have read that you can accomplish the same thing by applying some cleaner to a stain, then using a small handheld brush on the stain, and then using a shop vac to pull the detergent and dirt out of the upholstery. May not be as convenient as a Little Green, but may save the $70 and be one less thing taking up room in the house.

I think we will try the Little Green from my wife's work, and try the ShopVac method I described above before deciding whether or not to invest in a Little Green.

Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I've tried the oxyclean and it didn't do anything for me. I've had the bissel machines before and couldn't get coffee stains off the house rug and after only about a year of cleaning the whole house about once every 3months. It broke ( I have a small four bedroom).

I will try a diluted solution of Tide and look into getting the Lowes SPOT SHOT. If that doesn't work I'll try to rent one of those rug doctors with the upholstery attachment and some resolve. I've never used the powder carpet cleaners before. Are they suppose to be both absorbing the liquids and breaking them up? What if the stain has dried completely?

I can't wait til my son turns into a toddler, than I can at least blame him for any new stains! Grin

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

This reminds me that I need to thoroughly clean MochaVan. My D.W. told me tonight that the van is a "Sty," and that I should clean it. So, I guess I'll try the steamer on it this time around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Medicineman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

Java,

I guess it's your van when it's dirty and hers after you clean it?

Kind of like how they are your kids when they are acting up and hers when they do something good? Grin

Garrick

That's how it works at my house, anyways shuffle

2004 Silver ES

2000 Red Nissan Frontier XE w/sport package
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ZIGZAG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re:Coffee stain Removal on tan carpet Reply with quote

papabear,

I spilled coffee all over the first week I had my 2002 with tan interior. Tried everything, (oxyclean, Resolve, etc.) I found out that you need a pet stain spot remover because of the acid base. I used Rug Doctor pet stain remover and it cleaned it right up. Usually sold at supermarkets with the rental rug cleaning machines.
Good Luck!

2002 ES, Black Mica
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Detailing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: