MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Tire recommendations? (Canada)
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

Looks like winter has finally loosened its grip, so it is now time to replace our winter tires (17 ''). I would like to get a tire that can handle "spirited" driving and that is fairly quiet. I would only use them for Spring, Summer and Fall. Any recommendations?
So far Costco is suggesting the Michelin MXV4, but reviews on tirerack.com don't seem to be very positive.

15 Town and Country
08 Town and Country Limited 180 000 km - Sold
02 MPV ES Midnight Blue 125 000 km - Sold
05 Kia Amanti - aka Old Man Car 68 000 km
96 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed Dark Green 105000 km - Sold

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Bob and Doug McKenzie
DRAMIS
Black Sleeper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

If you like all of the above Yokohama AVID H4s/V4s real grip and better treadwear ratio

Black 2005 GX, Touring Package, K/N Filtercharger, Sylvania Silverstars, Weathertech Visors, TEIN S-Tech, Rear Spoiler, Mesh Grills, 17" Milano Wheels, Yokohama Avid V4S, 215/50/17 (Goodyear Ultragrip ICE on factory wheels for winter).
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2889621
http://gallery.mpvclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4218
mpvcrazy
My MPV drives me CRAZY!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

Very Happy Hey "Gebco" I've had the pleasure of testing all kinds of tires from high end to low end when I use to race. My choice for performance and price is always with Kumho.
1998 Mazda MPV ES AWD

MEAN GREEN LOWERED 4x4
ONE RARE HUGE SUNROOF
Tan Leather
L Lumar Window Tint
Custom Sun Roof Deflector
6000k HID with High Beams
Nokya Yellow H3 Fog Light Bulbs
All LED Interior and Rear Plate Lights
K&N Fliter
Front KYB Struts with Mazdaspeeed Eibach Springs
Rear Rancho Shocks with Non ALL Springs Vibrant Black Chrome Muffler
Chrome Bull Bar with Skid Plate
16" Black Ford Mesh Rims 225/60/16 Firestone Firehawks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

Isn't the MXV4 a touring tire? I'd envision nice, quiet highway ride but not much for the twisties. Just something that comes to mind when I hear touring.

I've had HydroEdges for the last 3 seasons as spring/summer/fall tires but I wouldn't exactly call them spirited. They do corner well when dry and are outstanding in the wet. But they do (feel like they) have high rolling resistance. Ride is comfortable and, imo, quiet even after 3 seasons. They are used at 40psi cold.

Kumho Esctas I've had on the VeeDub and they were very good but only lasted 2 season.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

With my new 16" summer wheels, I could do with a summer only tire, once thse Dunlop SP Sport 4000s wear out. My expertise in this area is about 18 years old, so I don't know where to begin when checking out the products out there.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
DaddyinKC
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

I had Michelin MXV4 OEM on my Acura TL. They will last FOREVER, however they are not considered a sporty tire.
Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far.

DaddyinKC, how was the drivability of those Michelins, specifically in the rain? We do a lot of driving on the highway and I hate hydroplaning.

Anyone have experience with the triple tread type tires?

15 Town and Country

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Bob and Doug McKenzie
gagles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

Hi Gebco,

I had the Goodyear Assurance Tripletread on the CRV I had before and I really like them, they were great in the rain. Now I got the Pirelli P4 FOUR SEASON since friday, they have a good tread, but I dont know yet how they compare to the Triple tread.
Here is some pics of my tires:

André

2003 MPV LX Silver

side view
DSCF0054.JPG

DSCF0054.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 839 time(s)

tread view
DSCF0056.JPG

DSCF0056.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 830 time(s)

DaddyinKC
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

Gebco wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far.

DaddyinKC, how was the drivability of those Michelins, specifically in the rain? We do a lot of driving on the highway and I hate hydroplaning.

Anyone have experience with the triple tread type tires?

Gebco,

I would rate them as 'average'. They would hydroplane occasionally. Of course I drove the TL more aggressive than I do the MPV.
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

Gebco, Have you considered the HydroEdges? I'm going on 4 years with these and they've been very good. Not exactly what I'd call performance tires but they do what they say in the wet.

gagles, If memory doesn't fail me, I believe I had the P4 on one of my prior VeeDubs. They were literally used for 4 seasons since I didn't do dedicated snow tires back then. They were very good tires - very smooth through their life.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
James Linn

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

I have had the Triple Treds for almost a year, I replaced the OE Dunlops with them.

A little noisier than the Dunlops on some uneven surfaces, but quiet on others.

Much more grip than the Dunlops - going round a ramp at high speed, and no squeal at all, where the Dunlops would howl.

I think the lack of parrallel grooves diminishes tracking a bit.

Outstanding in the wet.

Wearing very well, almost like new after 20,000 kms.

They were pretty darn good in snow, good on ice, though I suspect some will prefer a winter tire.

James
lengo lad

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

No one is recommending the Nokian i3?! Simply an amazing tire. Check it out here: http://www.nokiantyres.com/passengercars_product_en?product=1170571&name=NOKIAN+i3#

I bought mine at KalTire (western Canada) for $110 per. You could pay more, but you don't need to! Wink

2001 MPV DX
2005 MPV LX
Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

Well, thanks everyone for the feedback. I went with the Goodyear TripleTreads. First impressions (after 20 km): they grip and corner well, but they are not the quietest tire out there.

Both the Goodyear and the Michelin Hydro Edge get good reviews. I think either would have been fine, but I went with the Goodyear as my local garage was able to take me in yesterday at the last minute when I found one of those rare moments when I actually had some time to do something besides work, errands and ferry the kids around!

15 Town and Country

James Linn

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

Not sure whether they got quieter after a little wear or whether I just got used to it, btu the triple tred noise doesn't bother me anymore unless I am on some unusual surfaces.

James
initial_d2k
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tire recommendations? (Canada) Reply with quote

hi, i wanna know if anyone have tried Kumho ESCTA SPT before?

i m goin to buy a set of 225/45/18 for my upcoming 18's ...
i just wnana know if there any tires out there that r *overall* better than the SPT?

Also .. i m only willin to pay aroun 150$/tires tho (US)

Thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2418929/
'03 MPV LX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: