MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swkleiman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

The question came up in an earlier discussion on whether or not to buy a set of wheels along with the snow tires. Definately yes. I used snow tires on my previous car but I didn't buy an extra set of wheels. The constant taking off and putting on the tire destroyed the sidewall. After 5 years, the tread on my snow tires was still good but the sidewall was destroyed. The sides of my summer tire don't look to good either. Most of the tire installers use crowbars to release the air and this causes cuts in the sides of the tire. (I complained once to the installer on why they are so brutal with the crowbar and he said they all use crowbars to quick release the air). I plan to buy snow tires and wheels for my new MPV. ( We get lots of Lake Effect snow here in South Bend--about 80-100 inches a year)
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Superb point, and I'm glad you mentioned it. It saves the tires and the rims to have two sets of wheels. The same crow-bar wielding monkey will probably not take proper care of your decidedly expensive alloy rims when it comes time to swap tires in the spring or fall.

Steel rims generally cost a small fraction of your factory rims anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jintegra
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

javadoc wrote:
Steel rims generally cost a small fraction of your factory rims anyway.

For 15" rims, they're about $50 Cdn each in Toronto. Also I would consult the tire guys regarding the appropriate width for the snow tires. In the past, I've always gone with narrower, higher profile tires for winter, & wider, lower profile for summer.

Jae
02 Silver MPV LX + rear a/c + bumper step plate + convex mirror + Yak rack + bug deflector + rustproofing + 15 hp decals!
04 Green Accord EX-L 5MT
95 Red Integra LS 5MT ... SOLD! ... but not forgotten
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:49 am    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

I called one of the dealers who isn't too far away, and he quoted me a price of $97/tire for Nokian Hakka "Q"s (better traction, particularly on ice) and $95/tire for Hakka "1"s (more furability). This is for 205/65/R15 94Q. They have a max psi of 44, so there is no issue there.

Total price with mounting, balancing, and tax (5.1%) is $428 for the "1"s and $437 for the "Q"s. So mounting and balancing is $7 per tire, which isn't too bad.

I checked a number of online tire places for Hakkas but no luck. Nokian may just wish to avoid selling that way.

Java--You mentioned a major tire dealer around you was now carrying them. Is that a local dealer, or some kind of a chain that may have a wide geographic presence?

[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

I did some more checking and found Nokians are sold by etires, but it looked pretty pricey ($118 per) compared with what I can get locally for my size. Click here. Plus shipping would be $7.00 per tire and then there is mounting and balancing. But in other sizes it might still work out to be a good deal for someone, or worthwhile for an individual with no local dealers.
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

I've been running the Hakka' 1s on my sedans (these are on their third car, oddly enough) and I can say that they're noisier than the Hakka 10s or Qs, but are better in the snow. The MPV has the 10s and they're better on the ice, but the studs are less worn as well. I'm not even sure they're importing the Hakka 10 tire anymore.

$430 isn't a bad deal, imho. The dealership here , Johnsons Tire, is a local (just Alaska) operation I think. I wish we had a Discount Tire, but we don't. I don't really like Johnsons (pronounced Scheisters...) but they do carry the tire I want, so it's a mixed bag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

I also noticed that Hakka 1s can take studs, while Hakka Qs cannot. Which is probably why you (Java) use the 1s.

Stumbled onto this in the owner's manual (page 4-9). It says to use snow tires on all four wheels (not just on two) which is pretty standard advice. But it also says not to drive them at speeds over 75 mph (maybe not a bad idea if you are on snow Grin ) AND to inflate them 4 psi more than recommended on the door jam label (but not more than the cold tire max pressure shown on the tires). That would mean snow tires are inflated to 39 psi if the tire is rated for it.

dixonL2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:15 am    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

DEFINITELY on all 4 wheels - using snows on only 2 places means 1/2 of the vehicls will be in control and the other, well, either the tail wags the dog or the dog plows straight forward with the wheels turned...

Putting one on the front and one on the rear is, well, silly.

2002 MPVes silver "GTI", Mazda hitch, fogs
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, black mica "ping" on msprotege.com
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

See my post (reply # 22) on this thread for a link to Tirerack's website for info on why four snow tires needed (instead of two) and results of tests they performed.
ssokolov

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Folks:
based on a range of personal experience and advice of others, I would recommend Gilsaved Nord Frost II (OEM snow tires on Volvos) or Vredestein Snowtrack if they come in suitable sizes. Both have very good snow traction as well as very good dry road handling, which cannot not be said for most of the other tire brands. Hakka's are excellent, too, but I have not driven on those.
When I get a set for myself I will post the source.
YMMV.
Sergei
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Gilsaved tires are excellent as well. I haven't tried them before, but their reputation is stellar.
schmaeher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

On the topic the original topic anyway...does anybody know the recomended snow tire size? I mean I have the 17 inch wheels, it is very unlikely I will put 17 inch low profile snows on...I believe that the theory on snows is taller and narrower is better than shorter and flater. This means that I will likely drop to 15 or 16 inch wheels and tires...but which combination of tire size/profile and wheel size that is optimal is beyond me...I may just call this shop here in Toronto that specializes in "refitting" snows on cars...but I thought that I would get your ideas first.

Also does anybody know what the oem wheel size is? I know the 15, 16 17 thing but I used to have wheels that were 14j or some such nonsense on my VW so I know what size I would have to get.

How you all been doing, Alex your site has so much activity on it now I can't keep up any more.

Cheers guys

Ken
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

ssokolov wrote:

Folks:
based on a range of personal experience and advice of others, I would recommend Gilsaved Nord Frost II (OEM snow tires on Volvos) or Vredestein Snowtrack if they come in suitable sizes. Both have very good snow traction as well as very good dry road handling, which cannot not be said for most of the other tire brands. Hakka's are excellent, too, but I have not driven on those.
When I get a set for myself I will post the source.
YMMV.
Sergei

Why do all the best tires cost so much (reason is obvious), are so hard to find, and have names that are hard to spell and pronounce?

javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

That's why we just say Hakka or Gils (Gislaved... some other really good, hard to find, expensive snow tires), Dan. Wink

I just got my new Hakka 1s today. LET THE WHITE CRUD FLY, BABY!!!!!
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re:SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

PREDICTION--Anchorage has first snowless winter in recorded history 2002-2003! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: