MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Here is a thread that should probably be given a bump to the top based on the weather many of us have been having!
[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

As mentioned in another thready, I was late putting the AA's on the MPV this year. We got dumped with snow on 12/1 and then it got cold, then more snow etc. Finally just took the tires to the local tire shop to have 'em put on for $12. And I got rid of the locking lugs finally.

You really have to jam on the brakes to get them to slide or kick in the ABS with the AA's on. Of course, that helps steering as well. Saw several people trying to stop for a turn and ended up sliding halfway through the intersection instead.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
initial_d2k
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

i guess we need sum crazy off road tires for the peevee this week in montreal -_- ...

expecting 40cm of snow =(

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2418929/
'03 MPV LX
f1drivr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Wondering what to do about winter weather driving and tires.

I have Mich Hydroedges with about 35,000 miles on them. They are great in the dry, pretty good in the wet, starting to slip on acceleration in the wet. Have had them for 2 yrs 4 months.

Very tricky over the weekend with about 1 inch of snow. Driveway is up a hill, not too bad, but I could barely get up the slight hill with just a bit of snow and ice. Tires were spinning, traction control lit up. Disappointed that I can't trust my tires this winter.

Wondering if I should get a set of dedicated winter tires and wheels or just swap out tires. Any suggestions on which is the best route? I'm not worried about protecting my bling OEM MPV 16 inch wheels from road salt or anything.

Any recent reviews or recommendations on winter tires?

2004 Mazda MPV LX - Silver
2007 Mazda 6i, 5 door - Stormfront Gray
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Really depends on personal preference (and annual snowfall) if you want to get a set of dedicated snows. How much snow do you get? Maybe a set of all weather Nokian's instead would fit the bill.

The Hydro's should last another summer or so. How much tread left?

-Brian

f1drivr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Not sure how much tread left, I'll measure in a bit.

I agree that the Hydros would last at least another summer. That is why I am leaning toward dedicated winter tires, but if I can get better all season tires, I might make the switch. Anyone else think their Hydros aren't panning out in the long run?

Use new all season for winter of 07-08
Swap back on the Hydros for summer of 08
Swap to the newer all seasons for winter 08 and beyond (unless I can get another summer on them for 09).

Amount of snow?? In Cincinnati, we don't usually get much, but when we do, it can get bad because they don't clear roads well, we have lots of hills in Northern Kentucky. I also drive further South in the winters (trips to the in-laws), sometimes trips to Wisconsin (birthplace and location of relatives).

Don't get the snow like in upstate NY (lived in Syracuse for 3 years). Lots of snow, loved it.

I've seen the Nokian references and should re-read them now. Tirerack does not have that brand, so I should do more research.

subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

I usually swap on the snows (Artic Alpins) in early December and swap them off in March. You certainly could swap 'em on/off as needed with the small amount of snow.

If I didn't come across the snows I found (on this board btw, they were slightly used), I would have probably looked into some Nokians.

-Brian

Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

f1drivr wrote:
Don't get the snow like in upstate NY (lived in Syracuse for 3 years). Lots of snow, loved it.

Grew up in Syracuse - moved to NC 13 years ago - don't miss the snow yet Wink [Note: Wouldn't mind one or two nice white blankets of now a year - but several months of it? No thanks!]

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo! - SOLD 04/2016
'13 BMW 328i
f1drivr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Grew up in Syracuse - but several months of it? No thanks!][/quote]

It was a pain sometimes, but I was there for grad school and it forced me to stay indoors and study, except when we skiing and hit the lodge parties, and partied around the Orange when football and basketball was in the Dome. Snow in the mid NY state and mountain ranges was very pretty, but a bit of a pain. Driving, shoveling and walking became huge tasks.

Syracuse international airport had (at least 7 yrs ago), the largest snow plow (think width) in the US at least, clear the runways. Lake effect snow, gotta love it.

The thing is, I could get around in my 1990 Chev Cavalier and 97 Nissan Sentra 5 speed better in Syracuse with lots of snow than I can in Cincinnati with my new cars with only a dusting or few inches. Road treatment, driver capabilities, reaction and hills really do screw things up.

Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

f1drivr wrote:
It was a pain sometimes, but I was there for grad school and it forced me to stay indoors and study, except when we skiing and hit the lodge parties, and partied around the Orange when football and basketball was in the Dome. Snow in the mid NY state and mountain ranges was very pretty, but a bit of a pain. Driving, shoveling and walking became huge tasks.

Syracuse international airport had (at least 7 yrs ago), the largest snow plow (think width) in the US at least, clear the runways. Lake effect snow, gotta love it.

The thing is, I could get around in my 1990 Chev Cavalier and 97 Nissan Sentra 5 speed better in Syracuse with lots of snow than I can in Cincinnati with my new cars with only a dusting or few inches. Road treatment, driver capabilities, reaction and hills really do screw things up.

No doubt - my buddy's dad drove a plow for Onodaga County - and boy, those are some massive snow removal machines - when the get going with the big wing plows working.... you're right - easier to drive up there after a foot of snow then it is in NC after 1"!!!

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'13 BMW 328i

Snow? No problem
plow.jpg

plow.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 246 time(s)

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

f1drivr wrote:
Wondering what to do about winter weather driving and tires.

I have Mich Hydroedges with about 35,000 miles on them. They are great in the dry, pretty good in the wet, starting to slip on acceleration in the wet. Have had them for 2 yrs 4 months.

Very tricky over the weekend with about 1 inch of snow. Driveway is up a hill, not too bad, but I could barely get up the slight hill with just a bit of snow and ice. Tires were spinning, traction control lit up. Disappointed that I can't trust my tires this winter.

Wondering if I should get a set of dedicated winter tires and wheels or just swap out tires. Any suggestions on which is the best route? I'm not worried about protecting my bling OEM MPV 16 inch wheels from road salt or anything.

Any recent reviews or recommendations on winter tires?

I remember reading one review of Michelin HydroEdge tires that stated they were NOT a four season tire. Fine in spring, summer, and fall, but not intended for use in winter weather conditions. That could explain part of the problem you are having with them--along with reduced tread efficiency after 35,000 miles of use. I might have very well ended up purchasing HydroEdges except for the winter issue. I ended up with Michelin Harmony tires instead. All season tire and $20 less per tire at TireRack.

Getting dedicated winter tires also means four more wheels/tires to store and care for. Maybe that isn't an issue for you, but perhaps it is.

I would think that the amount of snow you get in your area would suggest that you don't need dedicated winter tires. A good set of all season tires may do better for you, even though all season tires aren't as good in the snow as winter tires.

Winter tires won't work as well in non-winter conditions as your HydroEdges (or all seasons) will. My guess is that if you have winter tires on, most of your driving with them on will be in decent conditions so you'll have noisy tires, poorer performance, and you will wear them out much faster for most of your winter driving.

If you have the ability to swap out tires easily (i.e. there is a storm coming, put on the winter tires and drive them for two or three days, and then remove them and go back to your regular tires once the storm is gone and the weather is clear) winter tires may make sense, but I just have a feeling that winter tires may be more bother than they are worth for you.

Just my $0.02 worth.

[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
f1drivr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Great points. I think all-seasons are the way to go. I'll just have to use caution with the Hydroedges during any winter weather for now. May have to pick up a Gen1 MPV with 4x4 and good tires.
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

f1drivr wrote:
Great points. I think all-seasons are the way to go. I'll just have to use caution with the Hydroedges during any winter weather for now. May have to pick up a Gen1 MPV with 4x4 and good tires.

That's the spirit!

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'13 BMW 328i
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: