MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sea&xc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Snow tires all the way. I had the pleasure to drive in every snowstorm (Me, NH, Vt) the past 3 seasons and would pick a FWD with fresh snows over any 4wd/Awd car on 4 seasons everytime. The advantage is you can easily test available traction with FWD by dropping down a gear or two, flooring it, to see how easy the tires spin. Try that on AWD and its hard to spin all 4 in motion unless its an EVO or WRX at boost. Acceleration does you no good if you can't steer or stop.

Yokohama Graspics on steel 16" rims. Solid, No complaints. It helps that I usually run with 400 lbs of gear in place of seats. Black Van with Black steel rims (NO hubcaps), my type of bling. Same numerical size as stock but physical is much wider which actually hurts performance in snow due to the larger contact patch.

Now put snow tires on AWD and that's fun but still way too easy to go fast and not be able to stop.

But can anyone tell why Mazda was stupid enough to make you unable to use 1st gear to try and maintain a slow descent on steep icy hills. 2nd is way too fast in some tricky situations. I'd at least like some option like putting the gearshift in 2nd and then Turning OD off to select 1st gear.

LET IT SNOW

03 Black LX 4Seasons, Roof Rack, Pdoors, Hitch
98 v70 AWD
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

sea&xc wrote:
Black Van with Black steel rims (NO hubcaps), my type of bling.

Black Steelies are hawt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

sea&xc wrote:

Yokohama Graspics on steel 16" rims.

IIRC, Dunlop has a Graspics model. I don't think Yoko does.

Sorry, Java. This is getting back on topic! Out of character for me, I know.

[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

FWIW...

Yokohama winter tire selection (for we Yanks): Geolander (SUV), AVS Winter (high performance), iceGUARD IG10 and iceGUARD IG721.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sea&xc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

My bad, they've been stashed in the garage for 5 months. In any case, strong bang for my buck even though this winter will be their last. Approx 40k on them now.

DS-2 is the model from what I can remember. I got them as Tire/Wheel deal from TireRack after I bought the van.

03 Black LX 4Seasons, Roof Rack, Pdoors, Hitch
98 v70 AWD
James Linn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Think he might have meant Guardex....

The Guardex used to be the top of the lines Yokohomas.

I saw an internet add for some "slightly used" ones, that had one season of wear. When I went there it was clear there were aligniment issues and uneven wear, so I declined.

James
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

javadoc wrote:
FWIW...

Yokohama winter tire selection (for we Yanks): Geolander (SUV), AVS Winter (high performance), iceGUARD IG10 and iceGUARD IG721.

Love the avatar Java....lol

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

cpapashley wrote:
javadoc wrote:
FWIW...

Love the avatar Java....lol

All Hail, the turbo-snail!!!
Blueprint
MPVClub Addict
Still MPVClubbin'
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

javadoc wrote:
sea&xc wrote:
Black Van with Black steel rims (NO hubcaps), my type of bling.

Black Steelies are hawt.

Don't forget the chrome lugnuts on them black steelies...redneck alloys Laughing

'Was my look anyway 1st winter, before I had the Mz3 covers. Little black-on-chrome Mazda center caps would have been nice, too.

2012 Honda Odyssey EX, Crystal Black Pearl, Truffle interior, oem acc: mudflaps, side mouldings, cargo net, cargo tray, steel wheels+tpms+LX covers for snow duty with Blizzaks WS70

2017 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron, black on black

Dearly departed : 2015 VW Golf TDI, 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S, 2003 Odyssey EX, 2004 Mazda MPV GS+GFX, 1999 CR-V, 2001.5 Passat, 1995 Civic, 1994 Tercel, 1986 Celica, 1986 Alliance, 1982 GLC, 1978 LeSabre, 1980 Corolla SR-5.
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Blueprint wrote:
'Was my look anyway 1st winter, before I had the Mz3 covers. Little black-on-chrome Mazda center caps would have been nice, too.
The '70s era Civics were steel rims painted silver. They had the chrome lugs and the Honda logo on a huge center cap that went over the exposed hub. Not bad looking imo.

But I do like the look of the black steels in the winter. Nice touch when the rest of the vehicle turns white from all the road grime/salt.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Blueprint
MPVClub Addict
Still MPVClubbin'
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

vkc wrote:
Blueprint wrote:
The '70s era Civics were steel rims painted silver. They had the chrome lugs and the Honda logo on a huge center cap that went over the exposed hub. Not bad looking imo.

But I do like the look of the black steels in the winter. Nice touch when the rest of the vehicle turns white from all the road grime/salt.

I had the silver steelies / chrome nuts / Mazda hub cover look in my first winter beater, my 225 $ 1982 Mazda GLC 5-door automatic (all dipped in rust, of course). Kept that rustbucket for 4 winters, and the heater barely worked.

2012 Honda Odyssey EX, Crystal Black Pearl, Truffle interior, oem acc: mudflaps, side mouldings, cargo net, cargo tray, steel wheels+tpms+LX covers for snow duty with Blizzaks WS70

Dearly departed : 2015 VW Golf TDI, 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S, 2003 Odyssey EX, 2004 Mazda MPV GS+GFX, 1999 CR-V, 2001.5 Passat, 1995 Civic, 1994 Tercel, 1986 Celica, 1986 Alliance, 1982 GLC, 1978 LeSabre, 1980 Corolla SR-5.
Alex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Just put two sets of brand new Michelin X-Ice tires on both the MPV and Mazda3... A lot of money, but I can't think of driving on the bald all-seasons one more winter... Last winter was brutal for my MZ3's worn tires. I couldn't just get around. I'm sure this winter will be different. The MPV's winter tires didn't do their job properly after 5 seasons, so it was time to replace them too...

I was thinking of getting Blizzak REVO1s instead but couldn't beat the Costco's price on Michelins... According to the reviews I read, both tires are almost equal overall, so can't go wrong with either one...
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
Just put two sets of brand new Michelin X-Ice tires on both the MPV and Mazda3
Nice choice thumbsup I'm going on my 3rd season with X-Ice on the MPV. Good tire for the $$$ imo.

Which reminds me, if you're going on winters now, my swap can't be too far.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
AIRBUS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experince or comments on the Goodyear ultra-ice grips on 2001 mpv
AIRBUS
MONTREAL,QUEBEC
CANADA
Blueprint
MPVClub Addict
Still MPVClubbin'
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: SNOW TIRES (pretty white stuff) Reply with quote

AIRBUS wrote:
Does anyone have any experince or comments on the Goodyear ultra-ice grips on 2001 mpv

That would be "Ultra-Grip Ice" Wink , and welcome to the club fellow Montrealer !

Check-out the "pneus et roues" section on www.lespac.com. There are some MPV wheels / tires in there (that's were I found my Mz3 covers for my winter kit).

I got Blizzak WS50's at OK Tire in Varennes back in '04, and they are fantastic in snow. Highly recommended, were only 104$ in 205/70R15. You can check-out their website at www.oktire.com for prices / fitments.

I had a set of 1st-gen Ultra-Grips back in the early '90s on a fwd Celica, and didn't think much of them. Look for tests / owner reviews on www.tirerack.com.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next  
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: