MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Check engine light is on
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neb Mpver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Check engine light is on Reply with quote

Hi everybody! I just purchased a 2003 MPV LX with 27k miles on it. It was not purchased at a Mazda dealer. The dealer I bought this from thought it was an inferior model compared to the vans that they sell, but I had my mind made up that this is what I wanted. I've had it for a week and all of the sudden the check engine light comes on. I called Mazda of North America to see about a warranty, and they informed me that the original warranty is still good till Nov of 2007.

I love my van, my kids and I use it for our paper route.
The roll dow windows for the 2nd row of seats works well for my kids to throw papers out of, and the fold down 3rd row seats lets me get a lot of Sunday papers in the back.

So anyway, does any one have any idea why the check engine light would come on? Has anyone had this problem themselves? I want to take it to a Mazda dealer to be fixed, instead of the dealership I bought it from. I've also heard something about a transmission jolt on the '03 models. Is this a common thing with all models of that year? Should I go ahead and get that fixed also before it starts to do it?

Thanks for any input on this.

Mike

2003 MPV midnight Blue Mica
2000 Subaru Outback
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Check engine light is on Reply with quote

Congrats on your purchse. I wonder what minivans he sells that the MPV is "inferior" to them. I take it he doesn't sell any American minivans. The other Japanese minivans are only "superior" in size, and in features and power if they are much newer than 2000. Certainly not in quality or reliability. All Japanese minivans have their problem areas. For me the smaller dimentions make the MPV superior. It just depends on your needs.

The PCM turns on the CEL whenever one of the ten billion sensors in the van either dies or senses something is wrong. Literally hundreds of things can turn that light on. Got to any shop to plug in a diagnostic tester. Since all vehicles since 1996 have the same diagnosic system, OBDII, they just plug it into the port under the dash and instantly know which component needs attention. You can even get your own, but make sure it's sophisticated enough. The simpler ones miss alot of stuff on the MPV. Sadly there are different protocols of OBDII.
The 02+ models have an electronically controlled 5 speed tranaxle that needs a reflash of its software. A Mazda dealer can check the VIN to see if it or any recalls have been done on yours.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
owr084

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Check engine light is on Reply with quote

The recalls and TSBs can be found elsewhere on this board and is searchable. The CEL can be turned on by something as simple as not tightening down the gas cap two or three clicks.

Autozone will read the CEL codes for free. Many other parts stores do the same. Call around. When you get the codes, post them here.

RBB
2007 Volkswagen Eos 2.0T
2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Diesel
2002 Mazda MPV ES
Neb Mpver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Check engine light is on Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will call Autozone and have them read the CEL codes.

The dealership I was at was selling Japanese vans. The sales man was touting his used vans, and couldn't understand why I would want a "smaller minivan" I told him I needed somethinf smaller for my paper route, and I liked the 2nd row roll down windows, that his van didn't have. I think that the dealerships attitude helped me to get a decent deal on my MPV, and I'm glad to have it. I love the styling, and the color, Mica Blue.

Mike

2003 MPV midnight Blue Mica
2000 Subaru Outback
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Check engine light is on Reply with quote

Neb Mpver wrote:
The sales man was touting his used vans, and couldn't understand why I would want a "smaller minivan"
Rolling Eyes Now bigger is better, isn't it?

You're under warranty so the CEL should be addressed by the dealer. OBDII was a killer for some manufacturers - the Europeans had a rough time at it especially when it was first enforced.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
pnllev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Check engine light is on Reply with quote

We just purchased an 06 just about a month ago... the "CEL" Mad went on on the 3rd day we had it. Stayed on for 3 days & was on my way to the dealership where I bought it, got gas on the way & when I pulled into the dealership noticed that the light went off. They plugged in there tester & told me that it was something to do with the gas cap sensor. I had checked that twice before bringing into to have it looked it, (as stated in the owners manually)
Long story short, it's now happend 2 more times since then, the 2nd time it happend the dealership at it for 5 days & couldn't find a problem with it, passed all the tests the claimed. Still don't really know why it finally went off. As of yesterday 8/1 it came back on for the 3rd time! I had driven 20 miles one morning & went to start it back up & you guessed it the CEL came on. I'm so PO'd now I want a new van. I am bringing it into the dealership for the 3rd time tomorrow 8/3. Will let you know what results I get!
If you can tell me any info/solution to your CEL issues, please advise.
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Check engine light is on Reply with quote

Could be a malfunctioning cap. Another question I gotta ask is do you turn your engine off when you fill up? A lot of folks keep the engine running while at the pump in the summer to keep the a/c running and in the winter to keep the vehicle warm. This could also potentially trigger a CEL.

If you're doing all the right things, you should ask if it possible for you to get a new cap.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
pnllev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Check engine light is on Reply with quote

ALWAYS always turn off the engine when filling up... Ironically I've only put gas in it 4 times since we bought it a little over a month ago.
When I dropped it off last night, I asked if they have tried replacing the gas cap the last time they had it for 5 days. The service guy said they have not. Common sense to me says to take the 2 mins it would take to eliminate that as a possible reason. If this does end up being as simple as a new gas cap, I'm going to be some BS bout this whole ordeal!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: