MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Road trip reports
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

subearu wrote:
I typically have to touch up the photos with Photoshop or something, as they're usually a bit off color or tint-wise. Nothing that Photoshop can't take care of, but I think next year I'll be searching for a Canon 4mp, since the photos I've seen from a co-workers look just fine untouched.
That's the SONY, neighbor has one too and they make nice clean pictures, but they just always look a bit washed out, so they need a bit more saturation.

Hey those pics remind me of the river in my town back in CZ. Wink

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Road trip reports are going to have photos so talking about the cameras can't be Off-Topic huh? So I will add a little - I have been very pleased with the color definition and spread even into the morning sun with the Olympus C750 but I believe it is selling for around $550 in US. Its 4Mpxl, has sound, and mpeg movie mode, metallic body and a wonderful 10X optical zoom. The cheaper brother the C740, is 3MPxl, has been well recommended as top under $500 camera, has mpeg video but no sound and plastic base body but is lighter and still has the fabulous 10x Optical lens. They both have 4 x digital on top. PM me for any more info - there are one or two detractors but depend on type of shooting... Plugs into TV, acts as another Hard drive to USB & XP PC's so can talk to any PC except for my two other old W95 ones at home... Can get a 500MB card for them both.

Catch photos on my website...

Cheers...

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

We left on a trip (from the Milwaukee, WI area to Pensacola, FL) to see DW's Dad, leaving Good Friday (4/9) and getting back home this past Saturday (4/17) just a few minutes before midnight.

We stopped at Abraham Lincoln's birthplace on the way down, and stayed overnight in Huntsville, Alabama to see the Space and Rocket Museum. That was a neat place and I wish we could have spent more time there. Also wish that our normally studious 7yo hadn't turned into a little wild man while we were there, but that goes with the age. Rolling Eyes

On the way back, went through Atlanta to see Stone Mountain and the big relief sculpture on it. We also found out that we could hike up the mountain top, so of course we did that too. Then back up through Tennessee to see a friend of mine (and avoided a ticket climbing the mountain--unlike somebody else Laughing ) near Monteagle, TN.

Coming through Louisville, we got caught in heavy slow traffic for "Thunder over Louisville". I had the smart idea of getting off the freeway and taking another bridge across the Ohio River to speed us up. Plan worked real well right up until I saw that the other bridge was blocked off for TOL, so we got back on I-65. But it was worth the wait, since as we crept over the river we kept getting buzzed by a military jet (fast, loud, and flying low) that was doing all sorts of tricks as part of the show. That was pretty neat!!

When we got back home to 80 degree weather (warmer than Tampa--sorry it's so cold down there Beach! j/k) we wondered why we even left. But we did have a good trip.

Mileage:
Best two tankfuls were 25.94 and 25.33 mpg*
Worst two tankfuls were 22.46 and 22.79 mpg
Overall average was 23.53 mpg (2525 miles on 107.297 gallons)

Gasoline cost:
Most expensive fuel $1.869 at home.
Least expensive fuel $1.619 in Franklin, KY
Average cost of fuel was $1.703

*These are the first and third best mileage readings I ever got with our MPV.

[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
RedWingsGuy
MPVClub Addict
Ex-Hockey Taxi Driver
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Is this the trip where you photographed the JGC with the cooler on the bike rack? Which state?

Did you go to Huntsville via US72? If so, did you see the School Speed Limit 45 MPH? I've been fixin to get a picture of that, but keep forgetting to keep the camera handy.

2003 LX Coastal Blue - Rear Air - 195,000 Miles. Sold 9/27/2013.

1990 Lumina Rust Bucket - 125K miles and rusted out Scrapped 8/05

2008 Scion xB Silver - Just automatic transmission - 60K Miles goaliegirl's ride

2011 Scion xB Crimson - Automatic transmission and Alpine Audio - 25K Miles My ride

2007 Passat Wagon from the in-laws - DW's ride.

Been there, done that.
Went somewhere else, did it again.
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

RedWingsGuy wrote:
Is this the trip where you photographed the JGC with the cooler on the bike rack? Which state?

Yes. This is the trip. We saw the JGC in Indiana, northbound on I-65 approximately halfway between Indianapolis and Chicago.

RedWingsGuy wrote:
Did you go to Huntsville via US72? If so, did you see the School Speed Limit 45 MPH? I've been fixin to get a picture of that, but keep forgetting to keep the camera handy.

Looking at the map, we should have taken US72, but it was getting late and I was tired and in my "let's just keep it simple" mode so we took I-565. Then it took us about an hour to find the motel we wanted--partly because once we realized we had missed it we were dumped back on a freeway and just turning around and going back was no longer an option. Then I deliberately missed the exit in hopes of finding another motel. Then it required two stops for directions, which is two more than I normally allow myself. But I will try to remember the 45mph school zone sign for the next time we go back--that sounds like a classic!

We decided that Huntsville is layed out the way it is as part of the rocket scientist interview process. Wink If the job candidate can't find the interview location, s/he is automatically disqualified for consideration for the position.

2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Good job on the MPG Dan. Sounds like it was a good trip. Any pics other than the 'smart' JGC owner? Wink

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Well done Dan - great when you achieve a best ever! And the lowest wasn't bad either, explained by the 85mph driving huh? j/k Wink 2525mls is round trip of NZ!! wow

Did you hit much wet weather on the east there?

Back to hosing the car and road grime off, and finding a warm Saturday to give it a good wash. And back to work... Glad to see you did some more hiking up the hills for a view - well now you have to organise some more photos! Good to have you all back safe and sound Very Happy

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

We went from Milwaukee to the Twin Cities the weekend of June 12 and 13, for my nephew's HS graduation party. Had a good time visiting with relatives, and good weather.

Took our son to the Minnesota Museum of Science. It is an excellent hands on museum, and I recommend it to anyone who likes museums. They even had exhibits in the bathrooms.

We also visited the Caddie Woodlawn house/historical site since our son had just read the book. It was a neat place, and hard to imagine all those people living in such a small cabin--especially when compared to the homes of today.

My only complaint was that the price of gas in the Twin Cities was as low as $1.75 per gallon, while back in the Milwaukee area it is still around $2 per gallon. Mileage for the trip was 22.0 and 23.8 for the two tanks full we had.

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Another trip to the Pensacola area and back. I think this is the tenth time we have taken the MPV on this trip in the 35 months we have owned it.

We left Saturday, July 31 and spent most of the day in Chicago at the Museum of Science and Industry. It is a neat place, but it seems to be more of an Industrial History Museum than a Science Museum. We did not get to see the coal mine (lines too long, time too short) and a few other things, so we will probably try to get back again sometime this year.

We left Chicago late in the afternoon and drove to Elizabethtown, KY where we spent the night, before driving the rest of the way down on Sunday. We stopped at the McWane Center (Science Museum) in Birmingham for a couple of hours just as an activity to do to get us out of the car for a while. Actually, we saw a billboard for the museum advertising Titanic artifacts. It turned out they had forgotten to take the billboard down after the artifact exhibit had left, but it is a very good museum (we will probably visit again) and we enjoyed the hands on science displays.

We spent most of the week visiting my fil, but did get away to the beach one day and had a good time walking, swimming, and playing in the sand. I also saw a school of porpoises swimming, and that was pretty neat.

We left to come back on Friday and drove up to Horse Cave, Kentucky. We spent all of Saturday at Mammoth Cave National Park, going on an underground tour and an above ground tour, along with some hikes, kidcrafts, and a picnic lunch. It was a great day and we look forward to visiting again. We finished coming back on Sunday, stopping in Bloomington, Indiana just to walk around a bit and to visit the Wonderlab Science Museum. (We have a pass that gets us into museums at no charge, so it is fun to visit museums when we are passing through a town. The pass is a great deal!)

Going north on I-65 from Indianapolis there were too many "challenged drivers" (I'm being polite here) so we got off I-65 at West Lafayette and took U.S. 52 and 41 up toward Chicago. Since there were a number of freeway jammups entering the Chicago area, we took backroads to get to the Tri-State Tollway. We didn't get on any gravel roads, but we were about as close as possible to gravel without being on them. Basically, we were out in the farmland driving unmarked roads, just keeping the van pointed in either a north or west direction, figuring we would run into a recognizable road sooner or later. And we did.

All in all, we had a good trip. No photos yet to show, and dw has the mileage book so I can't post mpg splits, but I'll get those on later.

Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Just about every time you/we go somewhere you have to go back again to see something you ran out of time for. Its great to take time to browse and feel the culture in different places. Museums are great! Even our eldest boy at 16 had the patience to stay with us when browsing... he adores the outside more Wink
Cool

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Came back from our trip from Long Beach-Palm Springs-Las Vegas. I didn't bother checking my mpg since I was speeding most of the way (80mph avg I'd say). Plus, I was convoying for half the trip with my BIL who drives like a wild man.

We finally got a portable DVD player for the trip (Mintek 8" unit from Costco in Long Beach. Came with case, car adapter, AC and Battery pack $249). Of course, we only wanted it for the trip so when we got back to the Bay Area, we returned it at Costco with no problems. The Mintek was very good, but it was sort of an impulse buy so I didn't want to keep it and I don't want my kids to get used to always watching video anytime they're in a vehicle. They do enough of that at home.

Next long trip we may get a permanent player. The 8" screen seemed fine but the player had up-firing speakers and it was hard to hear from the third row where my son was during the drive. I would have gotten an FM-transmitter or even an adapter, but I knew I was returning the unit. I will probably get some kind of an adaptor to hook it up to the car speakers since we shut the radio/cd off whenever using the player.

First trip with the '04 and with both kids. The van was superb as was the '02. Only complaint is that the bra has come loose around the headlight area. Otherwise, the bra did a good job of protecting the front dam and even deflected bugs off the windshield somewhat.

There was one incident where a construction truck was in front of me full of gravel and road debris. Before I could change lanes, some of the rocks hit me and I could see the dents they left in the bra during a gas stop. I'm glad they didn't hit my windshield or any other protected area.

Also, I passed by a few MPV's. Unfortunately, they were usually on my right and the club sticker is on the left side of the van!

Palm Springs is a great relaxing place and it was our 4th or 5th trip to Vegas. We didn't do much but lounge around the pool and catch-up with the relatives. All-in-all, very relaxing and very needed. Now, I need to catch-up with what's-what around here!

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

papabear wrote:
Also, I passed by a few MPV's. Unfortunately, they were usually on my right and the club sticker is on the left side of the van!
Well mine is on the rear window, so I'm "butting" people. Whenever I see MPV in front t of me, I try to get in front of them. Whenever there is one behind me, I try to position myself so they can catch up behind me.

And I thought I'm not such a nerd as my DW says I'm. Laughing

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

papabear wrote:
Otherwise, the bra did a good job of protecting the front dam and even deflected bugs off the windshield somewhat.

There was one incident where a construction truck was in front of me full of gravel and road debris. Before I could change lanes, some of the rocks hit me and I could see the dents they left in the bra during a gas stop. I'm glad they didn't hit my windshield or any other protected area.

Nice trial use of the DVD, and looks like the bra did a great job! It must have a rear turn-up to deflect the bugs - very useful, and stones, gravel anything from off a vehicle or the road can put a permanent chip in the paint, so it has already paid for itself Smile Nice one Papabear! Cool

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Kiwimpv wrote:

Nice trial use of the DVD, and looks like the bra did a great job! It must have a rear turn-up to deflect the bugs - very useful, and stones, gravel anything from off a vehicle or the road can put a permanent chip in the paint, so it has already paid for itself Smile Nice one Papabear! Cool

Well, I got the bra for free so it was well worth it indeed! It does have a small lip on the rear but not as big as others. After cleaning the vehicle I noticed soot got caught around the openings of the fog lamps. Otherwise, it did quite well at keeping things off the paint and the vinyl is pretty thick and cleans up easily.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
passnby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Well I'm just back from a two week trip to Newfoundland (Port aux basques to St Johns, back to Terra Nova, Gross Moran and then Port aux Basques) and Nova Scotia (Sydney to Halifax to New Ross back to Toronto). I travelled 8300 kilometres in 16 days, including a 20 hour stretch from New Ross N.S. to Toronto. Most of the trip included pulling a Jayco Popup trailer (1500 lbs empty). I was thoroughly impressed with the performance of my MPV. Having enough speed & power, including in the hills of NFLD was never an issue. I travelled mostly at 100 -105 k an hour and averaged 25 MPG. In the flat stretches (Toronto to Riviere de Loop) I averaged 27.5 MPG. The van was fun to drive all of the time. The big hit though was the average of $.92 a litre Sad - paid as much as $.97 in some spots Crying or Very sad Made a similar trip in a 91 MPV in 1997 and total gas bill was $435. This trip it was $860 for gas alone - yikes!!!

Only bad news was that 45 minutes from the ferry back to NS, I picked up a rock and a bad bruise on the windshield - looks like window repalcement time. Same thing happened in 97. Must be my fate.

The MPV was a great purchase!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

2004 MPV GX Silver hers
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5S mine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: