MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Road trip reports
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

For those looking to convert Imperial MPG to US MPG, here's a quick math:
Code:
Imperial MPG * 0.354 = Kilometers per litre (km/l)
US MPG * 0.425 = Kilometers per litre (km/l)
km/l * 2.352 = US MPG
km/l * 2.825 = Imperial MPG

So...
Code:
  29 * 0.354 = 10.266
  10.266 * 2.352 = 24.15 US MPG

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

We took the MPV and our new canoe yesterday and went to Devils Lake State Park (about 40 miles NNW of Madison, WI) for the day. We first hiked around the lake, which probably took about three hours. That was followed by wading/swimming in the lake (it was about 90 degrees F out) followed by the maiden voyage in our new "used" canoe. We then packed everything up and drove a few miles to Parfrey's Glen and walked into the glen and back as darkness fell. We pretty much had the glen to ourselves, and it was peaceful and quiet though we kept up a good pace as darkness was coming and the place officially closed at 8:00 p.m. After leaving the glen, we took the free ferry across the Wisconsin River (a real treat in a day full of treats for our six year old) and headed home.

The MPV ran just fine and did everything we asked of it.

[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Sounds like fun, Dan!!! That answers my other question of how the canoe trip went!

Man, I'm aching to do a road-trip in the MPV! Since we've done alot of 'work' on the T5 this summer, it's getting all the road time... not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Glad you're enjoying!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

What work on the T5 - all I can remember was the detailing session that ended in smiles and hiccups... Wink beer and sunburn... Embarassed

goggles

(Have you been re-engineering it in between travelling by air?)

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Re-engineering...

Well, (I'm hijacking the thread... shame shame) we've (when I say we I mean me) been seeing which made better and more useable power... the big harkin' Super60 trim T3/04 Garret (currently on the car) or a Mitsu 19T (Euro-Spec R). The 19T can give better responses, and make better power down low, while the T3/04 is just a beast. Gives good torque but little (that's relative...) power until 3,000rpm...then you'd better hold on tight w/both hands until redline. So, right now it's a 'soggy' bottom end of the rev band with a killer top end. I think I almost like the 19T, but the power-hungry side of me likes to rev the motor. I've had the 19T happily running w/ 16psi, and the T3/04 with 18plus-psi... no, not on pump fuel. I need Tony to truck his Contour up here... I'm getting tired of WRXs for lunch. Twisted Evil

I'm a bit afraid for the tranny's well-being at this point (sheepish grin) because it's not supposed to handle the kind of power that I've been seeing on the dyno earlier in the summer. It's supposed to have large holes in it by this point... but doesn't. I can only say that this is because I don't do many stop light launches, which melt tires and trannies at about the same rate. I heard about a company that offers a 5speed manual tranny swap for my car... and I plan on looking into that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

kool - glad you're still havin fun between the fishin and the WRX snacks, and the corporate (in house) wish list. We use Artemis out here (15yrs) > Project View. Cant wait to see what CEZ m/c is going to run like... whoops - way O/T loud no-no

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
jintegra
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

After more than a year of ownership, we finally took our MPV on our first, albeit short, road trip last weekend. Our destination was the Prime Outlet Mall at Birch Run, Michigan (~460km) - our kid's out growing most of his clothes so we gotta replenish the supply fast!

The MPV drove great, & I was averaging 130km/h on the way back, even through twists & turns. Power was more than adequate for accelarating & passing even on a grade, but I had a little problem adjusting to accelerating from stop - too little gas & the MV doesn't gather up speed fast enough, too much & the RPM shoots up & pushes everyone into their seats. Gas mileage to Birch Run was not good (11.32L/100km) but I attribute that to slow traffic getting out of Toronto (1.5 hr to travel 93km) & ~ 1hr to cross the Blue Bridge from Sarnia. Also got a chance to try out the cruise control that some people here had problems with, but it seems to work quite predictably for us (fingers crossed), even on inclines (i.e. no abrupt downshifts). The only time it downshifted was when I used the CC acceleration lever to get to a higher speed setting, but IIRC the 98 Honda did the same thing, & I think this is the expected operation. Coming from a small, compact daily driver, I was initially a little apprehensive about adjusting to the larger MPV but it was mostly uneventful until I got to a stretch of narrow lane highway (401 express east bound just before the 400) that I was glad I did not pick a larger mv than MPV!

Jae
02 Silver MPV LX + rear a/c + bumper step plate + convex mirror + Yak rack + bug deflector + rustproofing + 15 hp decals!
04 Green Accord EX-L 5MT
95 Red Integra LS 5MT ... SOLD! ... but not forgotten
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

jintegra wrote:
Power was more than adequate for accelarating & passing even on a grade, but I had a little problem adjusting to accelerating from stop - too little gas & the MV doesn't gather up speed fast enough, too much & the RPM shoots up & pushes everyone into their seats.

This reminded me of our last trip. My BIL kept messing with me on the way to Long Beach about the MPV zoom-zoom. When I would start passing cars, he'd overreact and act like the g-force was pushing him into his seat and then comment about how the van must have some kinda of turbo. He was impressed by the ability of the van to take the steep grades without much problem though.

On the way home, he and his wife sat up front and he'd tell her to get ready to push the NOS button before passing a KIA hatchback (he'd have his hand over the hazard light button). We also had some fun passing some Volvo Turbo wagons. It was pretty funny.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
JoshjaniMPV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports-Cape May, NJ Reply with quote

Just got back from a trip to the shore- Cape May, NJ. It was a short road trip, since I live in PA, but the MPV performed very well, and I'm more and more satisfied with it every day.

I must say that while it packs well, I really couldn't have done it without a top carrier. I got a new Thule roof rack with fairing (very crucial piece, IMHO) and a soft carrier strapped to it.

We took two kids in carseats, a babysitter, and my wife and me. I removed one second row seat, and had the kids in the back bench. So room behind the seat was tight. But then again, we had lots of kid equipment- double stroller, pack-n-play, beach toys, bike helmets, and regular luggage. I am very meticulous when it comes to packing, so everything fit, but it had to go in the van in a very particular way, and I was still sort of holding things in and slamming the rear lift door!

Otherwise, the van was tops. Power was excellent, even fully loaded. And the ride was really good, even though I had that pesky vibration problem before. That Hunter balancing machine really did its thing for me! I was hitting 70 before I even realized that there was no vibration at all, and really I didn't feel like I was going that fast.

FWIW, I thought Cape May was great. The water was perfect, with some big waves from a far away hurricane, the sand was warm and clean, people were friendly, just an all-around nice week. Taking 2 young kids to the beach is not relaxing by any measure, but it was really fun and a grat time was had by all! And my MPV came through with flying colors!

JC

2001 MPV LX Sand Mica
Best Mod-"Zoom-Zoom" Decal
2005 Saturn VUE 47K- RIP Saturn Sad
chrisod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Got back late Tuesday night from a father-son road trip. We left my wife and daughter home (they had no interest in going) and spent 5 days and 1400 miles looping from Fredericksburg VA to Boston to Cooperstown NY to Philly and then back home. Saw a game at Fenway, the Baseball Hall of Fame, the Phillies - Marlins at The Vet, and also fit in Lexington / Concord in Boston and Independence Hall / The Liberty Bell in Philly.

Our 2001 LX was just fine. I do wish it had a little more range though, either by better gas mileage or a larger tank. Unfortunately, our teams didn't do as well as both the Sox and Marlins lost.
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

We took a trip to La Crosse, WI this weekend for a wedding. It's about a 240 mile one-way trip for us. We left Friday morning into a hefty head-wind (weather turned a tad cooler for us Friday). Pre-flight checkup included setting the tires all to 36.5psi. Mr. Green

Cruise set to 70-ish mph (I set it to 69mph when I drove, dw set it to 71mph when she drove), van loaded with a suitcase, plenty of pull-ups and diapers, another small suitcase for Brooke's toys, me, dw, the 2 children, and my mil.

Traffic wasn't bad, a bit congested around noon in Madison, WI, but nothing that really slowed us down. Started with a full tank, filled up just after dropping our stuff off at the hotel (with free wireless internet Cool ), 22mpg. Not surprising, as that wind was noticeable the whole way there. I thought about removing the crossbars prior to the trip, but didn't allocate any time to do so. Regardless, I don't think it would have made much difference. Otherwise, ride comfort was fine and it was cool enough to not need the A/C. It was 58 degrees F when we arrived in La Crosse that afternoon.

I was able to logon to the hotel's wireless access (FREE too) in the lobby. Never did find their WAPs, but my signal strength was 'excellent' according to Windows XP at 11Mbps. Even was able to get a decent signal in our room.

Wedding was nice, not a large ordeal. It was in Alaska, er, Onalaska, WI. Probably 150 relatives/friends in attendance for the reception, maybe 75 for the church ceremony. Brooke loved running around the dance floor, but wasn't very keen on staying at the hotel ("I want to go home").

Trip back time. We already had clocked about 20 miles on the refilled tank from when we arrived. Tires checked, still at 36.5psi. This time we didn't have a head wind, more of a right-to-left wind. Not as gusty as Friday. Ran into a bit of traffic outside of Madison, but we decided to stop for lunch then, so we let the traffic continue on without us. A bit warmer (low 70's today), so I flipped on the A/C after a while. (Wearing a dark blue shirt wasn't helping, eh?) Mileage just after dropping all our stuff off at home - 24mpg.

So, 23mpg total, for a trip that was mainly into a nice wind and pretty steady speeds of 65-71mph (and a little A/C use). I will reward our MPV with a fresh drink of Mobil-1 this weekend. Wink'n'Grin

-Brian

TomNansMPV

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought Cape May was great. The water was perfect

We were in Cape May the first week of August and the water was COLD!

About 60 degrees F.

Tom

2003 MPV ES

Sage Green, GFX W/rear spoiler, 4-Seasons, 6CD, FogLights, Rear Bumper Step Plate, Donnelly autodim/comp/temp mirror, Euro antenna, SilverStar heads/fogs, Weathertech cargo liner, Mazda bug shield, K&N air filter, Mazda front mask, ScanGauge

1993 626 DX - 171,000 miles
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

A couple of pictures from our trip - this is an inlet river to the Mississippi River. Picture taken from balcony deck at the place where the reception was.

-Brian

TomNansMPV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

Subearu:

Those are very nice pics.

Did you take those with a digicam? You probably did!

If so, what brand and model? I'm in the market for one and I can't afford the one I REALLY want ( over $1,500!) Shocked

I'd like to stay in the range of $500 max and 4 megapixel.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Tom

2003 MPV ES

Sage Green, GFX W/rear spoiler, 4-Seasons, 6CD, FogLights, Rear Bumper Step Plate, Donnelly autodim/comp/temp mirror, Euro antenna, SilverStar heads/fogs, Weathertech cargo liner, Mazda bug shield, K&N air filter, Mazda front mask, ScanGauge

1993 626 DX - 171,000 miles
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip reports Reply with quote

I have a Sony DSC-S50, a 2.1mp digicam with MPEG video and no optical viewfinder (think of the LCD panel on a video camera). I have the 4mb memory stick it came with, but 1600x1200 jpegs (about 800kb each) quickly fill that up. So, I bought a 64mb memory stick and can typically take 50 or so pictures on it.

The camera is nice and does it job, but I typically have to touch up the photos with Photoshop or something, as they're usually a bit off color or tint-wise. Nothing that Photoshop can't take care of, but I think next year I'll be searching for a Canon 4mp, since the photos I've seen from a co-workers look just fine untouched. I also could use something with more than a 3x optical zoom that my Sony has.

I paid ~$400 for my Sony almost 2 years ago. It was retailing for $600 or so, but got Sears to pricematch an online merchant.

-Brian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: