MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LazyFox
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

Does all the 2nd gen MPVs has the same system? I guess I can take a look, but it's kinda late. So maybe it's good preventive measure to spray that whole thing with some anticorrosive?
2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AB_MPV

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

Quote:
I've never heard of this happening either. This could be an isolated incident or like you said, it's possible that other people have never had to use their spare-tire yet. Think of how many flat tires an individual gets in a three-year span. (I'm guessing 0 to 1) "If" there is a defect with the winch assembly, people may not begin to see it until 5 to 10 years from now when they have had to use it a few more times.

I have the same problem with my wife's 2000 MPV. It jammed while the temporary tire was off, and now I cannot lower the cable. I had a flat tire back in February, while it was very cold and I think that may have had an effect on the plastic.

I removed the assembly and found bits of broken plastic and the cable jammed inside the spool

Let me know if I can help any with Transport Canada.
Acadian
Acadian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

The Acadian is back online! wave

We are moved into our new home in Alberta and had an excellent trip crossing the country. Didn't have any problems with the Mazda whatsoever even when towing my 2000lbs Tent Trailer.

It's very interesting to see that someone else has had the same "exact" problem with their Winch Assembly. Question Thanks for the info AB_MPV. If you wouldn’t mind would you send an e-mail of your findings to Transport Canada to the following person:

Darryl Malone
Defect Investigator, Motor Vehicle Safety Enforcement
Road Safety, Transport Canada
2780 Sheffield Road, Ottawa, ON. K1B 3V9
Tel: (613) 993-3651, 1-800-333-0510 ext 131
Fax: (613) 991-5802
Email: malonda@tc.gc.ca

In the "Subject" field input the following: RQ393 - 2000 Mazda MPV - Spare Tire Winch Assembly

It would be greatly appreciated by all MPV owners. If anyone else has experienced the same problem, please feel free to send them an e-mail as well no matter what country you are from. As they say: It's the squeaky "Winch Assembly" that gets the most grease. Smile

I haven't heard back from them yet so I will be sending them an e-mail as well.

Thanks again AB_MPV for the info.

Acadian

Acadian
(Owner of a 2000 Mazda MPV LX)
Acadian
Acadian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

Follow up.

Now that summer is right around the corner, I am sure that most of you will be giving your MPV a good Spring-Cleaning and checking over. In doing so, you may want to check your “Spare Tire Winch Assembly” to see if it has seized over the winter months. Hopefully it hasn’t but if it did, please send an e-mail (no matter what country you are from) to the following person:

Darryl Malone
Defect Investigator, Motor Vehicle Safety Enforcement
Road Safety, Transport Canada
2780 Sheffield Road, Ottawa, ON. K1B 3V9
Tel: (613) 993-3651, 1-800-333-0510 ext 131
Fax: (613) 991-5802
Email: malonda@tc.gc.ca

In the "Subject" field input the following: RQ393 - 2000 Mazda MPV - Spare Tire Winch Assembly

I am trying to get a “Recall” going as this is a potential Safety Issue not to mention $500.+ for repairs and as mentioned before, It's the squeaky "Winch Assembly" that gets the most grease. Wink

Thanks for your help.

Acadian
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

I'm planning on a tire rotation in the next couple of weeks, so I plan on taking a look at the spare (and the rear heater tubes) then.

How did you're fair over the winter? It's been 8 months or so since the repair, right?

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
Acadian
Acadian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

I still haven't got it fixed. My spare tire is still tied down to the clip in the back of my van. It's a real pain in the hush as I have to take it out and tie it down somewhere else every time I want to fold my seat in. I can’t believe that anyone would built a "Winch" out of “Plastic” parts. Rolling Eyes I am going to pursue this as long as it takes to get it changed.

You mentioned your Rear Heater Tubes. Mine are all cracked. Are other member experiencing the same problem?

Acadian
heyu22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

I have just needed my spare only to discover my winch is broken. The $500 repair was also quoted to me. Any response from Transport Canada on the recall? Any advice? Thanks.
Acadian
Acadian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

Heyu22,

No I haven't. I have been pretty busy this past winter and did not get the chance to look into it much. My "two" Exhaust Manifolds are now cracked and need replacing Rolling Eyes and I will have to put my money towards that for now. About $1500.00 CDN worth of repairs. I had originally asked the Mazda Canada Customer Service to help cover some of the cost of these “Vehicle Defects” including the Spare Tire Winch Assembly help and they basically turned their back on me. bye They may think they saved some money by doing that, but I can tell you, “Word gets around pretty fast.” Especially on a Web Site like this one. peepsofa I just wish MAZDA would put their money where their mouth is and back-up their product. Mr. Green As a result of their Poor Judgement, I will more than likely be going to TOYOTA for my next vehicle.

Acadian glasses

Acadian
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

I was waiting for the oil to drain today and decided to check the winch.

Not the smoothest of winches, but it lowered after a while. The cable was intact and not frayed at all. No rust either.

I sprayed white lithium grease liberaly on the cable prior to winding it back up. I also wiped the rim of the spare, it was a bit dirty but not as bad as I expected. I then stuck the nozzle of the lithium grease into the cable inlet on the winch and gave it a good spray or two. Raised the spare back up and verified it was secure.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
Olyts
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

Acadian wrote:
As a result of their Poor Judgement, I will more than likely be going to TOYOTA for my next vehicle.

Acadian glasses

I'm with you Acadian. I will go back to Toyota for the next vehicle as well. Since they got rid of the Access program over here, I'm ready to go back.

2010 Toyota RAV4
Olyts
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

Acadian wrote:
You mentioned your Rear Heater Tubes. Mine are all cracked. Are other member experiencing the same problem?

Cracks??? Can you elaborate. Mine are still ok, some small rust spots are now showing. I guess I will need to spray some antirust paint next time I put in the winter tires.

2010 Toyota RAV4
LX1

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

Acadian wrote:
As a result of their Poor Judgement, I will more than likely be going to TOYOTA for my next vehicle.

I was a big Toyota customer for about 20 years until my new 1992 V6 4runner had a coolant leak in 1995 which was covered under warranty to replace the head gasket but I felt that the engine suffered some damage as a result as it had low compression on two of the cylinders in 1997 and had to be overhauled. I was quoted $5000.00 by the dealer and wrote Toyota Canada a letter to see if they can share in some of the cost and flat out said no...So now I have a Mazda and a Nissan. I guess there is no one particular car company at this level that can satisfy all their customers.

Oh..BTW..that 4runner had the winch system for the spare and it too was rusted up terribly. Only diff is that it did not have the locking mechanism which the MPV has.
deiscient

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

I suppose I should consider myself somewhat lucky. While I am having the problem of the rusted out coolant lines ( Evil or Very Mad )I tried dropping the spare last night and it worked fine, PTL!

In all fairness, sensitive hardware like the spare tire suspension winch probably should not be externally mounted. Granted, space in a minivan is at a premium but it is extremely difficult to engineer a corrosion-free winch assembly that will completely withstand the abuse of winter spray. I have seen this problem across several makes of minivan and I am convinced it is simply the nature of this beast. End of story.

Perhaps Mazda or some other enterprising maker could reconsider placing the spare tire and hardware beneath one of the inner trim panels like was done in station wagons a generation ago. Moving a cargo load around to access the spare is no biggie if you can be sure it will not have fused to the wall over the years.

You wanted it WHEN!?

Rides:
1993 Subaru Legacy L, 136K mi "Arnold" (RIP May 5, 2007)
2000 MPV LX, 97K mi "Rose"
2004 Honda Civic LX, 45K mi "Mariko"
LX1

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

subearu wrote:
Raised the spare back up and verified it was secure.

-Brian

Brian,

When you raised the tire back up again, did the lock on the wrench stay opened so you can pull the wrench out? If I try to tighten it a little bit, the lock closes again as if the tire is being lowered and so I have to loosen it up enough for it to open and pull the wrench out. I'm afraid the tire might fall of if it's not secured enough.
lemonsucker

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Winch Assembly Problem. Reply with quote

Hello there, and thanks for posting the contact number of the transport canada person. I've just called and left a brief message regarding the spare tire wench. I too had this same problem and you're right, 500$ is ridiculous. Hopefully others will bombard the office with complaints and get them to take action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: