MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

Cabin air filter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LazyFox
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

jintegra wrote:
A question for those that have replaced the filter: were you able to re-insert the filter in the same orientation as the original (i.e. the folds forming horizontal lines from left to right) ? I had a problem putting it back in this orientation (has a tendency to fold up), & ended up rotating it 90degs before I inserted the new filter. Think it's ok like that? I don't know

Man, how did you do that? I had a hard time with the framing profiles of the dashboard. How could you fit the whole filter across in the "stiff" position? I had no extra trouble to insert it in, actually I think it's easier that way, I inserted the filter vertically upwards through all the framing and than folded it a bit to curve into the filter chamber opening. I wiggled it a bit from side to side to avoid the folding.

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jintegra
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

LazyFox wrote:
... I inserted the filter vertically upwards through all the framing and than folded it a bit to curve into the filter chamber opening.
I did this also, got it inserted about half way & then the filter got stuck & started folding up. Pulled it out, tried it again & got the same results. Since it was already somewhat compressed, I just squished it a bit to get past all the stiff framing, inserted it & straightened it out (although now, it is not perfectly even, which may be a problem). Just hope it is good enough to trap all the dirt & debris. Confused
Jae
02 Silver MPV LX + rear a/c + bumper step plate + convex mirror + Yak rack + bug deflector + rustproofing + 15 hp decals!
04 Green Accord EX-L 5MT
95 Red Integra LS 5MT ... SOLD! ... but not forgotten
Ned Rothstein
DEMON of the forums

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

I replaced mine on Saturday. The trick is to get the whole filter past the glovebox brace so that it is in a vertical orientation, then lower it until the leading edge is just below the slot. Then slip the front edge in, keeping the filter curved downwards from its housing. This will keep it from folding as you slide it in. BTW- RedWing, the filter is between the air intake and the blower, so yes, the filter does probably protect the fan from debris. Having had to rip the dash apart on my EuroVan to replace a seized fan motor, I will do everything I can to protect this baby.

NED

NED ROTHSTEIN
2001 LX Emerald Mica
2005 Cannondale R900
RedWingsGuy
MPVClub Addict
Ex-Hockey Taxi Driver
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

Thanks Ned. I hope Jas88 is still monitoring this thread. I will definitely be keeping an eye on my filter, regardless.

That design makes perfect sense. That is how home forced air HVAC units are designed. It extends the life of the fan in hostile environments and cuts the warranty costs for the fan motor for the manufacturer as well as providing clean air benefits to the user - a definite win-win.

2003 LX Coastal Blue - Rear Air - 195,000 Miles. Sold 9/27/2013.

1990 Lumina Rust Bucket - 125K miles and rusted out Scrapped 8/05

2008 Scion xB Silver - Just automatic transmission - 60K Miles goaliegirl's ride

2011 Scion xB Crimson - Automatic transmission and Alpine Audio - 25K Miles My ride

2007 Passat Wagon from the in-laws - DW's ride.

Been there, done that.
Went somewhere else, did it again.
LazyFox
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

There is a new aldehyde cabin air filter available.

MPV: 2000 - 2003
VIN: Before LW***34845
Filter: LC74-61-P11

MPV: 2003 - 2004
VIN: After LW***34846
Filter: LDY4-61-J6X or Aldehyde Filter: LDY3-61-J6X

They should be all 0.2 micron filters.

BTW the LDY4-61-J6X and LDY3-61-J6X are used in RX-8 as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

shoot - I just replaced mine last month!
Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo!
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

Good to know Fox. Luckily the one I just installed last month came my way at no charge ... thanks to Subearu! Wink
Scott
'03 MPV LX/GFX Midnight Blue
'98 Volvo V70 T5
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
shoot - I just replaced mine last month!

Nevermind - apparently no change for the old '01 filters

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo!
MPoohV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

I had my cabin filter changed out when I took my car in to the dealer for new tires, radiator flush, etc. I thought I remembered the filter being $30 just for the part (ridiculous), so I figured it wouldn't be too much more over that for the dealership to change it out and go through all the trouble. It actually turned out even better than that -- there was some sort of rebate (?) going on for the cabin filter change. Anyone know anything more about this? It would've normally cost something like $50 for the entire job, but it ended up costing about 1/3 of that.

I knew it was a pain in the a$$ to do it because I had the glovebox (most of the dash actually) out to install a DVD deck in the center console. I'm 6'3", 220lbs (during the lean season), so it's not very easy for me to worm under there. My longer arms did come in handy for for some parts of the install, especially reaching up through the roof console hole to install the braces for the ceiling mount TV. Basically, my hands and arms still have the scars on them to brag about that job. I didn't want any more battle wounds from just changing a pollen filter!

Good tips though on the whole process! I, too, had to figure things out the hard way without any instructions. It's not too difficult to get apart, but you do have to realize that you have to strong-arm it at some parts, which may be scarey to those afraid of breaking things.

Chris
05 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited - Blue Mirage, Taupe Leather
02 MPV ES - Silver - "MPoohV" - TRADED! Surprised
99 Toyota 4Runner Ltd - White
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

I must be over my hang-ups because I just go after that glovebox with reckless abandon now Wink . I did my last filter change in >2 minutes. To be fair though the glovebox in my '03 does seem to come out much easier than the one in my '01.
Scott
'03 MPV LX/GFX Midnight Blue
'98 Volvo V70 T5
LazyFox
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

How is this for nice drawing? Wink

Courtesy of 929s in http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=76374

subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

Wow, that's almost looking like the old and new style filters are interchangeable...

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
Olyts
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

Since I could not find any aftermarket cabin filter (yet!) I decided to pay the 31$CND asked by the dealer for the OEM cabin filter. Was very easy to replace. After having the van for 2 years, the filter was filled with dirt, but not too bad. I think I'll keep this maintenance evry 2 years.
2010 Toyota RAV4
Todd Barney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

LazyFox wrote:
There is a new aldehyde cabin air filter available.

MPV: 2000 - 2003
VIN: Before LW***34845
Filter: LC74-61-P11

MPV: 2003 - 2004
VIN: After LW***34846
Filter: LDY4-61-J6X or Aldehyde Filter: LDY3-61-J6X

They should be all 0.2 micron filters.

BTW the LDY4-61-J6X and LDY3-61-J6X are used in RX-8 as well.

Just ordered the LDY4-61-J6X from Trussville Mazda. (free shipping until 12/25/04) About $16. The LDY3 is $44. Shocked

Had to call in the order, since the LDY4 doesn't show up on their website. The LDY3 can be found with a part number search, and it turns up under the RX8 stuff.

Mazdastuff.com has the LDY4 listed on their site for $15.00, but no free shipping right now.

Takes about 1 minute to change in the '03.

Todd Barney
Body of a minivan:
2003 ES, Midnight Blue, pwr doors, DVD, roof rack, BF Goodrich Traction T/As 225/55-17
Soul of a sportscar:
91 Miata, Crystal White, Konis, Hard Dog sport rollbar, FM sways, Thermal exhaust.
Girth of an elephant:
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab V-10 5-spd manual.
LazyFox
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

Well, free shipping, you can't beat that (on other hand it should not sost much, like$ 4 to $6, but any savings is good).

I just ordered two cabin air filters for my 02 (those older ones non split). I had to call in as they were not listed on their site. I ordered two for about $17 each. Marshal said he had to order one as they had only one left in stock. I also ordered mud guards (rear and front, each pair for like $15) for our MPV, I plan to put them on before our trip to Salt Lake for the Christmas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: