MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

HOLD LIGHT BLINKING
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countryej

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: HOLD LIGHT BLINKING Reply with quote

I HAVE A 93 MAZDA MPV THAT THE HOLD LIGHT START BLINKING AFTER GETTING UP TO 5 MPH OR LESS AND IT TAKES OFF IN 2ND GEAR AND THEN GETS TO 3RD GEAR BUT WILL NOT ALWAYS GET INTO 4TH GEAR. IT DOES NOT DO IT ALL THE TIME. SOME TIME IT WORKS JUST FINE. I HAVE CHANGED THE SPEED CONTROL SENSOR FROM THE DEALER AND THAT DID NOTHING EXCEPT TAKE $100. OUT OF MY POCKET. PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. IT IS COSTING ME BIG BUCKS IN GAS.
GEN1HAWAII
MPVClub Addict
GEN1 Gear Head
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: HOLD LIGHT BLINKING Reply with quote

Wish I could be of more help on Trannys. There is a solenoid pack in side the tranny that shifts the gears. I'd advise you spend the next $100 on a diagnosis from a tranny shop. Like the engine, The tranny also has an ECU, have it checked for stored codes.

Cool

GEN-1-MPV~ GOTTA LOVE 'EM!!! BEYOND 60 AND COUNTING...I don't claim to be a "know-it-all". I only know what I have experienced on the MPV. I have owned a few, and have fixed a few, but everyday I learn something new.
warrenj27
SwampRat Express!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: HOLD LIGHT BLINKING Reply with quote

Where is the ECU for the tranny located?
93 MPV PIMP RIDE!!!!! (Evil grin)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
t.f.n

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: HOLD LIGHT BLINKING Reply with quote

the # 1 probability for failing to change gear from d3 to d4 (according to my book )is the inhibitor switch # 2 control linkage # 3 shift solenoid valve A # 4 speed sensor. From what I have read on this site a lot of people have did a fluid/filter change and cured shift trouble.
duckbill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: HOLD LIGHT BLINKING Reply with quote

This may sound silly but you may need a new hold switch. Switches go bad
and if your hold light is flashing, it might be caused by your hold switch going bad. When the hold button is switched on, the van is supposed to start in second gear and then only shift to third. No first or fourth gear. Good luck.
t.f.n

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: HOLD LIGHT BLINKING Reply with quote

If your hold light is on it does just that (holds) the gear you select. Like if you select 1st and hold it stays in 1st gear.
GEN1HAWAII
MPVClub Addict
GEN1 Gear Head
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: HOLD LIGHT BLINKING Reply with quote

The hold light will blink, not stay on, when the ECU senses trouble.

Cool

GEN-1-MPV~ GOTTA LOVE 'EM!!! BEYOND 60 AND COUNTING...I don't claim to be a "know-it-all". I only know what I have experienced on the MPV. I have owned a few, and have fixed a few, but everyday I learn something new.
duckbill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: HOLD LIGHT BLINKING Reply with quote

From my 1989 owners manual when in D (drive) is the following: "When the Hold mode is activated, the transmission is held in third (3). When stopping, however, the transmission automatically downshifts to second (2), then back to third (3) upon acceleration." I'm only commenting about the transmission being in drive, because that is where the problem appears to be occuring.
t.f.n

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: HOLD LIGHT BLINKING Reply with quote

The #5 probability is the fluid temp sensor on no 3rd to 4th gear change. There is a pilot filter/screen on the valvebody there are filters/screens on at least two solenoids. So to Avoid all of this change oil/filter.
JMTRANSAMSD455
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HOLD LIGHT BLINKING Reply with quote

If the transmission does not shift from 3rd to OD,, check cruise control switch, check Atmospheric pressure switch, check Inhibitor Switch, Check Selector lever and control linkage, check Shift Solenoid A, Check Speed sensor 1, Check ATF Thermostat and finally check Brake band and band servo in the transmission. Jack.
2003 ES Sunlight SilverMobil 1,K&N 90,115m Hers,1999 Grand Prix GT Silvermist Mobil 1, Borla,SLP ramair,K&N,CrossDrilled rotors 143,006m Hers,2008 MAZDA 3S TOURING 2.3L HATCH Aurora BlueK&N Mobil1 61,220 m 2014 Mazda3 2.0 I Tour Hatch Blue Reflex Mica 3m ,1994 Formula LT-1 6spHurst Dark AquaMet 15,000m SOLD,1974 Trans Am LS-2 Bucanneer Red,JRHeaders,K&N,RamAir IV 1.65 rockers,Lakewood 113Km SOLD,1995 Lumina Silv Met 55.7Km sta car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: