MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

Check Engine Light (MIL): Code P2404
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPoohV

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Check Engine Light (MIL): Code P2404 Reply with quote

Had the check engine light come on a few days ago, and because this was such a regular thing on my previous VW Eurovan, since it wasn't flashing, I figured I'd ignore it for a few days to see if it went out on its own (loose gas cap, engine misfires, sunspots Wink , etc.). Well, as I looked at my odometer, I realized that I had just gone over 49k miles on my MPV, so with just 1,000 miles left on the warranty, I thought it woudl be a good idea to have the MIL checked out by the dealership.

Glad I did!

Turned out to be a "$700" repair (thankfully under warranty) -- something about the installation of a liquid purge box, new evaporator pump, etc. You would've been hearing about my murder on CourtTV if I had ignored this MIL beyond the warranty (my DW would've killed me for sure). In reading the TSB (http://www.mpvclub.com/tsb.php?id=148), it's definitely not a DIY type of thing, so I'm glad I took it in. It appears to be deep enough into the emissions system that it would've been covered under the more extensive emissions warranty though -- I'll have to check the Mazda warranty for the answer to that.

Since I was also on the last leg of the warranty, I had them flash the TCM. I've only experienced the rough down-shift sporatically, but didn't want to be charged the $50 if it started occuring more often.

Scarey stuff coming out of an innocent MIL. I miss the OBDII code reader that I had with my VW Eurovan. It tied into a notebook and came with an extensive software package that told me more than I ever wanted to know about that vehicle!

Chris
05 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited - Blue Mirage, Taupe Leather
02 MPV ES - Silver - "MPoohV" - TRADED! Surprised
99 Toyota 4Runner Ltd - White
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Check Engine Light (MIL): Code P2404 Reply with quote

There's a few of us that have http://obd-2.com/ and it works on the MPV.

Glad you got that one fixed too!

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
CalAl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Engine Light (MIL): Code P2404 Reply with quote

Just been through the same series of event, check engine light came on, code P2404, purge box kit ordered and installed and PCM reprogrammed. Mine at 43,000 miles on MPV 2003. To the dealers credit they spotted a corroded water pump and replaced it. I had not noticed this. Wish I had found this thread the day before taking it in rather than the day after getting it back or I too would have requested the TCM flash while it was at the dealers, for me a rare event so far (being at the dealership). The transmission jump is not so rare but still not frequent..
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Engine Light (MIL): Code P2404 Reply with quote

CalAl wrote:
Just been through the same series of event, check engine light came on, code P2404, purge box kit ordered and installed and PCM reprogrammed. Mine at 43,000 miles on MPV 2003. To the dealers credit they spotted a corroded water pump and replaced it. I had not noticed this. Wish I had found this thread the day before taking it in rather than the day after getting it back or I too would have requested the TCM flash while it was at the dealers, for me a rare event so far (being at the dealership). The transmission jump is not so rare but still not frequent..

Welcome to the club Calal.

Just a comment on the TCM flash. I would strongly suggest having that one done. My reason is that a computer telling a transmission consistently wrong information (while it may not seem to be that "bad" while driving) is not going to be conducive for toward the longevity of the transmission.

Just something that has been running through my mind as I have read and heard from various 02+ drivers on the forum.

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: