MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issues
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raitchison

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issues Reply with quote

From AutoWeek

Quote:

Nissan struggling with Quest minivan's slow sales, quality issues

LOS ANGELES -- Nissan North America Inc. is recalling its slow-selling redesigned Quest minivan to address several quality problems.

Nissan began issuing recall letters this month to thousands of 2004 Quest owners, informing them that dealerships will fix the defects free of charge.

The repairs include:

>>> Fixing a noisy sliding door.

>>> Replacing the driver's power window switch, which has a high failure rate.

>>> Repairing faulty interior reading lights.

>>> Replacing second-row seat levers that are prone to failure.

Those quality problems aren't helping Nissan get Quest sales off the ground. A year after its launch, Nissan is still struggling with the redesigned minivan.

First-half sales totaled 25,791 through June, well below the company's goal of 80,000 to 85,000 units for all of 2004.

June sales were 4,640, up from 4,501 in May. But after chipping away at quality problems and taking steps to change the sales mix, Nissan had hoped for a bigger increase in the monthly sales by now.

Nissan appears to be having trouble positioning the minivan in the market. The company plans to offer a lower-priced version for the 2005 model year - a change in strategy, because company executives had said that a prime reason for the slow start was a lack of high-end models.

Sticker prices for the 2004 Quest start at $25,130. High-end models have a sticker price of $33,530. Prices include a destination charge of $540.

Company executives this year admitted that they miscalculated demand for the top-of-the-line SE model. They said that sales of the lower-priced S version were below expectations; sales of the mid-grade SL were on target; and sales of the SE were not as strong as they could have been because demand was underestimated.

Nissan spokesman Kyle Bazemore says the recall is mainly a response to the Quest's poor showing in the 2004 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study. The April survey rated the Quest last among minivans in consumer perceptions of quality during the first 100 days of ownership.

The survey placed Nissan's Titan full-sized pickup and Armada full-sized SUV last in their segments. All three vehicles are built at Nissan's new plant in Canton, Miss.

"We are not happy with the (Power) scores," Bazemore says. "If a part has a high failure rate, we're doing whatever we can to fix it. We realize the importance of customer satisfaction."

About 3,500 units - all of the low-line S models - have the power window problem.

Bazemore says the reading lights will be modified on about 7,500 S and SL models. He did not have figures for other problems.

The company also has asked dealers to make the fixes on vehicles in inventory, Bazemore says.

In April, Nissan issued a recall on the SL and SE Quest models to check power sliding doors that might not latch properly and open unexpectedly.

Ray Vrscak, a partner at Michael Jordan Nissan, Durham, N.C., says the 2005 model line will include a lower-priced Quest. Vrscak, who is chairman of the Nissan Dealer Council, says the company plans to come out with a value package to produce more vehicles in the $26,000 to $27,000 range.

"The dealers are happy about that because that's where Chrysler and Honda are," Vrscak says.

Regarding quality problems, Vrscak says: "Most customers are understanding, but this is definitely straining their view of the Nissan brand. Hopefully we're getting that behind us."
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issue Reply with quote

I know two people with these vans, one mid-level the other fully-loaded - both like them a lot.

My father bred me to be reluctant to buy any car in its first production year - and these kind of problms are the reason.

Dave

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo! - SOLD 04/2016
'13 BMW 328i
rudiger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issue Reply with quote

SuperDave wrote:
I know two people with these vans, one mid-level the other fully-loaded - both like them a lot.

My father bred me to be reluctant to buy any car in its first production year - and these kind of problms are the reason.

Dave

True, but if you must buy a first year production vehicle, Toyota, Honda and, fortunately, Mazda (except the rebadged Ford products like the Tribute and the pickups) have good track records in this area.

Nissan, OTOH, has always been an anamoly among the Japanese manufacturers in that their quality has consistantly ranked about the same (or even worse) than the domestic manufacturers...

'06 Toyota Prius, Pkg #2, Seaside Pearl/Grey
Christopher15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issue Reply with quote

This is what happens why I don't want a Nissan all they have is power but quality is horrible.
Lazyfox
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issue Reply with quote

SuperDave wrote:

I am of the same breeding, but I bought a first-year Acura Integra ('86), MX-6 ('93) and MPV ('00). No major problems with any of them. The Integra and MX-6 didn't even have any squeaks and rattles after 100,000 miles.

My theory on the Acura was that it was their first year in the US market, so they had to be put together well to establish their name. However, given my experience with the MX-6 and MPV, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an '06 MPV. I think it's a Nissan plant problem, and they have admitted as much.

-Dean

'00 MPV LX, Touring/4 Seasons/6CD, Emerald Green/Tan
'06 Ford Freestyle FWD Limited Merlot/Charcoal
Mobil1Pennzoil, Meguiars wax Klasse AIO Meguiars NXT Back to AIO.
YMMV.
Looking for a classic Corvette?
Corvette News
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issue Reply with quote

My MIL got first year Lexus 400LS (on advice of her former spouse, she even lovered it, looks cool). It is a sweet ride and she never regreted it. Wink The car is still running strong, she only had the A/C system replaced recently. Wink
2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JMTRANSAMSD455
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issue Reply with quote

Wife didn't like the Quest because she didn't like the styling and the front console. Nissan does make a lot of HP for their cars. The Nissan 350Z has a problem with the tires wearing out prematurely and scuffing due to a problem in the suspension which they can't fix yet. Toyota, Honda and MAZDA have a better track record. My younger sister has a Mazda 626 and a Lexus RX-330 which she loves.
2003 ES Sunlight SilverMobil 1,K&N 102,800m Hers,2015 CX-5 Grand Tour AWD2.5 Meteor Grey Mica MOLY oil29,000m2016.5Mazda CX5 TouringAWD DeepChrystalBlue MazdaMOLY GF5 Oil 29,8005m,Son,2008 MAZDA 3S TOURING 2.3L HATCH Aurora BlueK&N Mobil1 78,800m,2015 MAZDA3HATCH 2.5GT Liquid Silver 9000mMOLYOil ,2016 Subaru Forester Limited2.5AWD Quartz Blue Pearl MolyGF5Oil5,115mHers,1974 Trans Am LS-2 Bucanneer Red113Km SOLDr
Jipster
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issue Reply with quote

I test drove the 2004 Nissan Quest. While I liked the exterior styling and the powertrain..the quality of the interior had a lot to be desired. Below average fit and finish. Cheap looking trim. Seemed like a big empty shell with not a whole lot going on inside. I owned a Nissan Altima...so the reliability and quality issues about the Quest were surprising. Why are they not offering rebates equal to that of Mazda? They seemed vastly overpriced compared to what they have to offer and the competition.
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issue Reply with quote

Jipster wrote:
I test drove the 2004 Nissan Quest. While I liked the exterior styling and the powertrain..the quality of the interior had a lot to be desired. Below average fit and finish. Cheap looking trim. Seemed like a big empty shell with not a whole lot going on inside. I owned a Nissan Altima...so the reliability and quality issues about the Quest were surprising. Why are they not offering rebates equal to that of Mazda? They seemed vastly overpriced compared to what they have to offer and the competition.

What year Altima did you own? I had a '95 and now have an '03 and the '95 had a far superior interior (better fit on the panels, better plastic textures, better velour on the seats) than the '03. The '03 is just bigger and faster but the '95 seemed quieter and more upscale.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
Jipster
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issue Reply with quote

I owned a '94 Altima GXE...just recently sold it. It was a great car in my opinion. Very reliable, excellent handling characteristics, solid excelleration. I have heard the same thing from other owners and magazines. That the '93-'97 model years had much more quality and refinement than those of the following model years '97-2001( I think I got the model years correct) Seems Nissan may be sacrificing quality materials for a cheaper price. Though the price on the Quest seems to high for what it has to offer.
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issue Reply with quote

I was reading in reviews, that the newer Maxima's quality was going down, while the Altima's were improving.
2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spd33

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan struggling with Quest's slow sales, quality issue Reply with quote

LazyFox wrote:
I was reading in reviews, that the newer Maxima's quality was going down, while the Altima's were improving.

The new Maxima is probably the worst handling sedan I've ever driven at highway speed. That and the interior is simply hideous!

I really like most of what Nissan has done lately including the Altima, Murano, 350Z, etc but they really missed the boat with the new Maxima. I wouldn't drive it if it was given to me!

On another note, the seats in the Quest are disgusting too!

- Andy

'03 Mazda MPV ES GFX - Midnight Blue Mica

'01.5 VW Passat Wagon - Fresco Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: