MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raitchison

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

From Auto.com

Quote:
The Dodge Caravan continues to lead the U.S. minivan market, despite the rapid rise of the Toyota Sienna.

In May, DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group sold 25,695 of the minivans in the United States, an increase of 7.6 percent from May 2003, according to the research firm Autodata Corp.

An article in Tuesday's Free Press Business section failed to mention that the Caravan was the industry's top seller in May.

Chrysler pioneered the minivan segment in 1984 and still commands a 34-percent share of the market, but Toyota and other Asian automakers have made inroads in recent years.

The rapidly growing Toyota Sienna posted May sales of 16,273, an increase of 77.4 percent from the previous May. The Sienna hit showrooms in March 2003.

From January through May of this year, the Caravan was the top-selling minivan with 105,715 sold. However, that number was down 4.3 percent from the same period in 2003, according to Autodata. Sales of Chrysler's Town & Country minivan were down 7.5 percent in that period.

Toyota sold 72,621 Siennas, an increase of 119.6 percent, from January through May, compared with the same period in 2003.

A major part of Chrysler's strategy to retain its leadership in the segment is a new seating system for its minivans. In March, the automaker launched 2005 minivans that feature second- and third-row seats that fold into the floor. The Stow 'n Go seats also offer extra storage compartments when not folded down. The system is available on the Dodge Grand Caravan and the long-wheelbase version of the Chrysler Town & Country.

Currently Stow 'n Go models are made only in Windsor. Chrysler recently announced it would invest $113 million to equip its St. Louis South assembly plant to produce Stow 'n Go models.
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

quantity/cheaper over quality Smile
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2179082

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers
Rmplstlskn
Rmplstlskn's Abode

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

I was given a 2002 Dodge Caravan for a loaner by the Mazda dealer when I was having the final deal work done and I have to say, "I am so glad I bought a Mazda!!!"

Beside the BLAH minivan look of the DC the seats were TOO SOFT and the frames weren't firm. The seat backs pitched and swayed while entering, exiting and moving around. I also felt like I was on a platform.... the seats seemed too high as I was looking out the top section of the windshield. That section has a form of visual distortion as well from the curve and it was distracting.

The middle seat was a bench and it makes me cherish the split, sliding seats of the MPV. I had to lean way in to swing our baby seat into the carrier. Same getting it out.... not near as easy as the MPV.

The engine power seemed OK and responsive though, as well as having a smooth ride. It seemed to have more road noise than the MPV.

The trim materials were BLAH and plain. BORING! The radio sucked and the A/C controls were wierd. The cup holders were marginal and the storage spaces were not user friendly.

Needless to say, I'm not going to run out and get a Caravan. The MPV kicks the DC's a$$.

Rmpl

"To Be or Not To Be," is a stupid question! You are!
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

Rmplstlskn wrote:

Beside the BLAH minivan look of the DC the seats were TOO SOFT and the frames weren't firm. Rmpl

It's funny you mention this. I was thinking the same thing. I finally drove the MPV after a couple of weeks of exclusive Altima driving and the very first thing I realized was how supportive the seats are in the MPV and with the lumbar support it was much less fatiguing to drive even just around town than in the altima.

I do like the telescopic wheel in the Altima though. Sort of wish that was an added feature in the new MPV!

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
JMTRANSAMSD455
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

They can keep them. Wife and I looked years ago and chose Mazda in 1992. In Nov.03, we looked again and compared. MPV won hands down vs. DC, like day and night plus "MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK" AND BETTER QUALITY AND WORKMANSHIP in a Mazda. Jack.
2003 ES Sunlight SilverMobil 1,K&N 102,800m Hers,2015 CX-5 Grand Tour AWD2.5 Meteor Grey Mica MOLY oil29,000m2016.5Mazda CX5 TouringAWD DeepChrystalBlue MazdaMOLY GF5 Oil 29,8005m,Son,2008 MAZDA 3S TOURING 2.3L HATCH Aurora BlueK&N Mobil1 78,800m,2015 MAZDA3HATCH 2.5GT Liquid Silver 9000mMOLYOil ,2016 Subaru Forester Limited2.5AWD Quartz Blue Pearl MolyGF5Oil5,115mHers,1974 Trans Am LS-2 Bucanneer Red113Km SOLDr
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

McDonald's sells the most hamburgers, too. So they must be best, right ?

To paraphrase George Carlin, this is the "a billion flies can't be wrong" theory. ("Eat sh--, a billion flies can't be wrong...").

I'll pass, thanks.

If Chrysler sales are up 7%, good for them. I don't think the segment grew by that much, so they took away sales from somebody. Clearly, it wasn't Toyota though, whose sales grew by 77%. Toyota may never sell as many Sienna's (at the current price point) as Caravans. I doubt that they care to - it would mean they traded away profitability for volume.

The bigger problem for Chrysler is the shift in perceptions: the innovation leader is now Toyota, and before them Honda. The quality leadership is a tossup between the two - with Chrysler a distant also-ran. And the value equation has also changed - I bet if you look at the demographics, there's a world of difference between the typicall Chrysler buyer and the typical Toyota/Honda buyer, and it's not in Chrysler's favor.

These are things that will hurt them badly in the long run, and they know it.

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
TomNansMPV

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

And don't forget, there are many people in the States who would NEVER buy a foreign nameplate, never mind that many of them are made in the US.

We have friends that we met when we lived in Texas. He is a professional car restorer and an excellent body and fender man. Very knowlegeable. When it came time to buy a new minivan back in 2001, what did they buy? A Chrysler T&C...because "I won't buy a foreign car".

Go figure. Rolling Eyes

Tom

2003 MPV ES

Sage Green, GFX W/rear spoiler, 4-Seasons, 6CD, FogLights, Rear Bumper Step Plate, Donnelly autodim/comp/temp mirror, Euro antenna, SilverStar heads/fogs, Weathertech cargo liner, Mazda bug shield, K&N air filter, Mazda front mask, ScanGauge

1993 626 DX - 171,000 miles
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

Just goes to show... there's no accounting for taste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AZRonS
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

Leader, schmeader----

Old Smokey (94) runs circles around our friends' 2000 Dodge Caravan. That thing sounds like everything that was bolted on is almost ready to fall off. I haven't ridden in a vehicle that was that poorly put together. Old Smokey is still tight and quiet. Cool No shakes or rattles, and no wind noise at 80 mph! That's hard to beat! How many Dodge Caravans can say that? Question

In reading this thread, I had to think that I can't imagine owning a 94 DC. There wouldn't be enough left of it to restore as I am doing to Old Smokey.

One other story. I have a son-in-law who is a police officer in Phoenix. And of course he is one of these "Buy American" guys. Wouldn't buy a "rice wagon." He owns his second Suburban. With 6 kids, he needs a big one. A few years ago I was praising my Toyota Camry. Of course, he poo-hooed it. He was bragging about his Ford Ranger, American you know. When I told him my Camry was made in Kentucy and his Ford was made in Mexico, he didn't have a whole lot to say. I said that he is on his second Suburban. The first one had about every piece of interior trim hanging from one screw. He had to replace the seat belt mechanisms and any number of other things just fell off the thing. Even with all that, he stubbornly sticks to his "Buy American" theory. The thing he won't comment on is his Police Kawasaki motorcycle. Under his breath, he has to say that he loves it.

Nuff said on that matter.

AZRonS Very Happy Very Happy

Old Smokey, my first MPV, 94 - 2WD, ---Gave her away!!
Wife's car---1996 Infiniti I-30, 110K---A great car!
2001 OdyEX, 94K---Could almost park Old Smokey inside her!!{Here's Old Smokey![/color][/b]
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

funny
2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

i was reading about an article about the new DC mini-vans a while ago ......they said that although it has a smart stow/hide and go features but in reality DC has to address some other issues such as the reliability..which is overdue... Very Happy (duh)

like they said Mcdonalds sells million bugers worldwide BUT do they make the best burgers???

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2179082

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers
Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

AZRonS wrote:

In reading this thread, I had to think that I can't imagine owning a 94 DC. There wouldn't be enough left of it to restore as I am doing to Old Smokey.

I owned a 94 DC. When we traded it in in 2003, it was still rattle free and drove well, although that was poor compensation for the numerous repairs we endured. We test drove a 2002 DC, and our 94 had a better, quieter and more solid interior.

15 Town and Country
08 Town and Country Limited 180 000 km - Sold
02 MPV ES Midnight Blue 125 000 km - Sold
05 Kia Amanti - aka Old Man Car 68 000 km
96 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed Dark Green 105000 km - Sold

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Bob and Doug McKenzie
atam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

My brother has been driving DC almost all his life. He loves it. He said parts are easy to get; mechanics are familiar with the car; there are lots of dealers around and their used prices are reasonable. Let's be fair. Mcdonald's does not make the best burger but there is a reason why they sell the most.
To me, reliability, nimble handling, safety and workmanship are more important to me. So, I went for the MPV. And I prefer Burger King to Mcdonald's.
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

atam wrote:
Mcdonald's does not make the best burger but there is a reason why they sell the most.

Yeah, they're cheaper.

<Sound of needle scratching across record...>

Wendy's all the way !!

Smile

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge Caravan still the leader in minivan sales Reply with quote

If McDonald's is to DC as Burger King is to Mazda, What is Jack in the Box? Wink
Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: