MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

2003 MPV Oil Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 MPV Oil Change Reply with quote

Some of the fellows at the Subaru Crew swear by those fumoto's. The valve seems to be reliable, I don't recall reading any problems with them over at the Town Hall.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
statsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 MPV Oil Change Reply with quote

I'm going to try one of those valves. I will report later.
2003 LX Silver with Hot Tub package
03sageLX
MPVClub Resident
My karma ate my dogma.
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 MPV Oil Change Reply with quote

Don't have the valve, or really see any need for it, personally, since access is very easy... I'd prefer to reserve that spot for an aftermarket engine oil temp sensor at some point, me thinks.

Did do the first oil change - 1001 miles. Thanks to the tips on this site, went well. Used a strap-type oil filter tool and a 1/2 inch drive wrench to remove the factory filter. Protected the exhaust manifold with some aluminum foil. Up on the Rhino ramps, the oil from the filter ran just past the exhaust manifold, but I would have had a few drips onto it as I actually pulled the filter free without the foil. Without the tilt from the ramps, the oil would run smak dab on top of the manifold, I think, and made quite a mess, but it worked out very well with them.

Took exactly 6 quarts to refill our '03. We're going to run 5w-30 Pennzoil year round. I just can't get friendly with 20 weight oil when it's 100 out, and I'm reluctant to stock 3 grades of oil for 2 cars (we run 5w-30 in winter and 10w-30 in summer in our Subie). Pennzoil has upgraded their 5w-30 and 10w-30 weights to meet GF-3/API SL specs, so it's rated the same as the 5w-20 that Mazda recommends.

The 5w-20 I pulled out of it was surprisingly black after just 1000 miles. It's been hotter than he-- here the last couple of weeks, I'm glad to be rid of the stuff, laboratory testst to the contrary notwithstanding...

-brianV

03 Sage Green LX
01 Subaru Forester S+ MT
eddie
Mostly harmless

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 MPV Oil Change Reply with quote

Just got my first oil change done today. Checked it before I brought it in and it was pretty black. It's been 3 mths and just over 4000 km, but I was surprised at how dirty it was. But I know my MPV sat on the lot for a few months before I bought it so maybe that contributed to it. Anyway, every 4000 km from now on is still the recommended schedule so I guess I'll stick with that.
2003 Mazda MPV LX (Coastal Blue)
Olyts
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 MPV Oil Change Reply with quote

eddie wrote:
Anyway, every 4000 km from now on is still the recommended schedule so I guess I'll stick with that.

Eddie, the recommended schedule per mazda is every 4 mo or 8 000Km here in Canada (P. 8-5 of the Owner's Manual). I mostly take the MPV on short distances and few medium distance trip (Not that much since we had the new born baby (5mo old now!!!) and I follow the monthly intervals instead of the mileage.

2010 Toyota RAV4
eddie
Mostly harmless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 MPV Oil Change Reply with quote

Olyts wrote:
Eddie, the recommended schedule per mazda is every 4 mo or 8 000Km here in Canada (P. 8-5 of the Owner's Manual). I mostly take the MPV on short distances and few medium distance trip (Not that much since we had the new born baby (5mo old now!!!) and I follow the monthly intervals instead of the mileage.

Oops, you're right. Embarassed I must have been thinking of my own situation, not what the manual said. I will likely hit the time markers before the mileage markers, so the 4 mth intervals will be more significant to me than the mileage also. We don't do a lot of long-distance driving either so after 4 mths we'll likely be closer to 4,000 km than 8,000.

2003 Mazda MPV LX (Coastal Blue)
dixonL2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 MPV Oil Change Reply with quote

Your first oil change will likely be more black than subsequent ones - I changed at 1000miles and the oil was dirty, not obnoxious like my old VW diesel was (ever so long ago), but dirty. Subsequent oil changes have the oil not as dark. I'm with the 5W30 crowd, especially in summer, actually running Mobil1 at 5k intervals, no oil-related problems at 19k.

The aluminum foil trick is a GREAT one - also removing the 10mm bolts that hold the underbody tray on really helps with access (don't have to remove the whole tray, only the 3 driver's side bolts and bend the tray out of the way).

After removing the stock filter - which required a strap wrench (and the best one I found was the cheapo rubber strap/plastic handle wrench), I've tightened the filters to "human" specs (rather than the "gorilla" specs used by the factory) and had no problems.

-L
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: