MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

Replace Oil Pan Gasket on '00 MPV LX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tennessee bryan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Replace Oil Pan Gasket on '00 MPV LX Reply with quote

I have a 2000 Mazda MPV LX with 51000 miles that has sprung an oil
leak from the oil pan and slightly from the crankshaft oil seal. This
is really disappointing to me since no car should be leaking oil at
only 51000 miles. Of course the warranty ran out a year ago.

I would like to replace the oil pan gasket (if there is one) myself.
It looks like I will need to drop a beam and the exhaust pipe out of
the way. The only thing that concerns me are the bolts that connect
to the transmission. Is there a seal there also? Does anyone have any
knowledge they could share on this?

If someone has any pictures/instructions from the service manual they could share, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Bryan Patrick
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Oil Pan Gasket on '00 MPV LX Reply with quote

First - a hearty welcome Bryan, you are our 1300th member, guess you've been hanging around and browsing the site with no problems and then you get this oil leak - sorry to hear about it - so I hope someone can log on to your request and share an experience over similar oil seal replacements and give you some guidance for a DIY project. Sorry, I am no help at all since mine is a totally different beast and have rear wheel drive.

I guess you don't have a Haynes Manual?

There is a CD that may help as well...

Cheers...

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
tennessee bryan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Oil Pan Gasket on '00 MPV LX Reply with quote

Kiwimpv,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I've been lurking around a couple of weeks. You have a great resource here. I don't have a Haynes manual and my understanding is that one for the 2000 model doesn't exist, yet. It appears the only manual around is the Mazda service manual @$150.00.

Thanks,
Bryan Patrick
98SVT-00MPV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Oil Pan Gasket on '00 MPV LX Reply with quote

tennessee bryan wrote:
Kiwimpv,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I've been lurking around a couple of weeks. You have a great resource here. I don't have a Haynes manual and my understanding is that one for the 2000 model doesn't exist, yet. It appears the only manual around is the Mazda service manual @$150.00.

Thanks,
Bryan Patrick
l

Let me suggest you sign up with Alldatadiy.com and you can get the first year access to the 2000 MPV service information for $24.95 and I think $14.95 for each additional year.

In the long run, more than a Haynes or other service manuals, but it is updated with new information, TSB's etc. Plus you don't have to worry about spilling a quart of tranny fluid on it. Just print the pages you need.

Doesn't look like there is a gasket between tranny and engine.

Basically you got it down, remove the exhaust pipe then remove the bolts that connect the oil pan to the tranny, finally starting at the other end, remove the bolts from the pan going in a clockwise direction.

There are a few places that need some RTV sealant, blah blah blah.

But go for the alldatadity.com

If you can, sign up from a banner at batauto.com as they are a pretty good group of Pro Mechanics helping other mechanics and consumers solve problems with their cars.

FWIW,

TB
tennessee bryan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Oil Pan Gasket on '00 MPV LX Reply with quote

Thanks 98SVT-00MPV,

That is great information. I got irritated thinking about the MPV leaking oil at 50,000 miles, less than a year out of warranty, so I called Mazda. They said they might could make a goodwill warranty adjustment, so I am taking it to the dealer to see what they can do on Monday. If they don't treat me right, then I'll be checking out the online manual, and getting more familiar with the underside of my MPV.

Thanks,
Bryan Patrick
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Oil Pan Gasket on '00 MPV LX Reply with quote

That's good news Bryan - at least they are listening to you and considering your position. Thats good advice too from 98SVT-00MPV, all help is worthwhile, never know when you want to know something extra.

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
tennessee bryan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Oil Pan Gasket on '00 MPV LX Reply with quote

Well it appears it is not so rosy afterall. The local Mazda dealership said that Mazda would only pay for the parts. I would have to pay for the labor. So I said I would just get the free parts and fix it myself or have someone local fix it. No, they couldn't do that in order to get the parts I would have to let them fix it. The mechanic didn't even spot the oil pan leak. He did spot the slight crankshaft seal leak but wanted to replace the crankshaft pulley? Can you say inflated labor charges? I'm not really sure that the service manager even spoke with anyone at Mazda.

I bought the parts and will do it myself. I looked around the internet and saw a website: contour.org. It appears that there are plenty of leaky oil pans on duratec equipped Contours out there.
tennessee bryan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Oil Pan Gasket on '00 MPV LX Reply with quote

I replaced the gasket 3 days ago. So far so good. I went to the friendly local Ford dealer and got them to photo copy the page on oil pan gasket replacement out of the 2000 Ford Contour service manual. The procedure is the same, as it is basically the same engine. I will probably replace the crankshaft oil seal in the near future as well, it has a slight leak too.

The procedure is straight forward; unbolt the exhaust from the manifold tubes and the cat. I left the O2 sensor in place and just unclipped the wire connector. Pull the exhaust assembly over the crossbar towards the front and you have access to the oil pan.

Remove the bolts starting in the right front corner in a counterclockwise fashion loosening a bit at a time. The two bolts in the rear center of the pan against the trans are a bit tough as there is very little clearance. You need a deep socket 13mm, 10mm, and 14mm to do this.

Clean off the old gasket. Put two 8mm blobs of RTV sealant on the engine at the two points where the front engine cover comes together with the blocks. Put the new gasket on the oil pan and attach finger tight with the bolts and studs. Tighten in a counterclockwise motion starting from the front right to 25lbs with a torque wrench.

Fill it up with oil. Pray it doesn't leak! Pray anyway, prayer is always good!

The parts are Ford parts with a Mazda sticker on them. Possibly, you can get them from the Ford dealer. I will see if I can post the Ford numbers in the future.

Bryan Patrick
Conway Arkansas Idea
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Oil Pan Gasket on '00 MPV LX Reply with quote

Good news Bryan - and thanks for the description of the methods used. And the info on the gasket Ford part Nos will be useful too.

Another good gasket compound to use is the Loctite purple/pink gasket product - I haven't used it for a while so I dont know the product number, but it does not set hard and stays as a permanent seal. I would lightly wet all 4 surfaces with it - both sides of the gasket and very lightly on the metal surfaces and it then never leaks. O-ring gaskets, just need wetting with oil and prepare a smooth surface.

The 8mm gobs of RTV need to be used at that location.

Cheers!

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
tennessee bryan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Oil Pan Gasket on '00 MPV LX Reply with quote

The oil pan gasket Ford number is: 2R8Z-6710-AA
The crankshaft oil seal is Ford number: F5AZ-6700-A

Bryan Patrick
Arkansas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Do It Yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: