MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jas88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

The check engine light has been on in my wife's van (2000 MPV ES) for quite a while. It gave me code P0031 which is low voltage on O2 sensor heater circuit or somesuch. I tested the O2 sensor heaters per the manual and found the rear one bad. I got on eBay and could not find any sensors for my MPV and the dealer wanted $200 for a new one. So I bought a Ford sensor on eBay that I was told was for 96-98 Contour with the 2.5L engine. It was only $25 so I figured it was worth a shot. The short story is it worked!

The Ford part number is XC2F-9F472-A1A. You do have to splice the Mazda plug into the Ford sensor because they are quite different. It is important to get the wiring correct because the wire colors are different (I got it wrong the first try and got code P0134 which is "No O2 sensor activity detected"). The correct way is like this:

- Mazda Black (2 of them) goes to Ford White (2 of those, doesn't matter which is which)
- Mazda Blue goes to Ford Black
- Mazda White goes to Ford Grey

It's been in there for 2 days and the check engine light has not come on so I guess it is OK. So feel free to use non-Mazda O2 sensors on your MPV. My MPV has been successful as a test-mule on this one.

I may be wrong but it is my opinion that the major difference in most O2 sensors is the wiring and plug. All 4-wire sensors pretty much work the same way.

Last edited by jas88 on Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
ront
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

How hard was the sensor to remove?

Ron
jas88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

ront wrote:

Ron

EASY. I used a 7/8" box end wrench.
98SVT-00MPV

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

ront wrote:

Ron

Yeah, I think the only hard one to remove is the upstream sensor on the rear bank. The others should be relatively easy.

You should find 4 O2 sensors on the MPV

TB
jas88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

Mine only has 2. According to my genuine Mazda manual, the ones with 4 are for CA emissions. The one I replaced was the rear one up near the exhaust manifold which I *thought* was going to be the hardest.
Ned Rothstein
DEMON of the forums

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

CA emissions standards are used in New England as well, so I probably have the 4 sensor set-up.
NED ROTHSTEIN
2001 LX Emerald Mica
2005 Cannondale R900
98SVT-00MPV

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

jas88 wrote:
Mine only has 2. According to my genuine Mazda manual, the ones with 4 are for CA emissions. The one I replaced was the rear one up near the exhaust manifold which I *thought* was going to be the hardest.

OBD-II requires cat monitoring, so I suspect a 96 and newer MPV (and we are in the 00-03 MPV forum) would have four, since they monitor the pre-cats.

Let me check my Alldatadiy.com subscription...

Hmm, looks like both 49 state and 50 state vehicles have four sensors. (Well at least for my 00)
All vehicles have an O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold, and since this vehicle is V6 there are two exhaust manifolds.

It looks like the California vehicles have O2 sensors after the cats in the exhaust manifolds. (I'm a Contour owner as well, so I know the Contour has "pre-cats" in the exhaust manifolds. The MPV may not since it doesn't need to pass "Car" emissions since it is classified as a light truck.)

However, it appears the Federal Emissions (or 49 state emissions) vehicle has two O2 sensors that monitor the main cat. It appears for the Federal emissions vehicles, these sensors are in the flow after the Y-pipe that joins both banks.

I'll look at my vehicle, for a couple of reasons.

First, I'm pretty sure I have four O2 sensors. Second, I'm now curious where they are located. I'm not sure that 2000MY MPV's made any distinction between California and other MPV.

It makes sense that any post 1996 vehicle will have cat monitoring since that is a federal requirement. The question is which cats are monitored? On the Contour (where the 2.5L engine comes from) there are cats in exhaust manifolds and the O2 sensors monitor the pre-cats and the main cat is NOT monitored.

The non-California MPV may not have pre-cats, so the main cat is the one monitored, thus the sensors are further down stream.

However, the sensor in the right bank exhaust manifold is still a bear to get to Wink

TB
jas88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

I will look again tonite if I can. I am almost positive I only have 2 ahead of the cat. There is a spot in the Y of the Y-pipe where it looks like a sensor could go, but it just has a plug in it. I did not look behind the cat. I will do so as soon as I can and report back.

In my Mazda manual, in the wiring diagram, it shows 6 sensors. There are 4 in a group that has a box around them, and an arrow pointing to the box. The arrow is labeled "CA emissions only".

I'll get back to y'all on this.
98SVT-00MPV

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

I dunno if you can see this image or not, but this is what I was looking at:

EDIT, this image keeps changing, so the Alldata site must generate dynamic images. I've posted the correct image below hosted from my site. I'll leave this one here for amusement Wink

TB

Last edited by 98SVT-00MPV on Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
jas88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

Yeah, I can see it. That looks like what Ford calls a "component locator". Is that from a Ford manual or Mazda? If Mazda, what section is that in? I was looking for something like that in my Mazda factory manual but did not find it.

Mine has the Front (RH) and Front (LH) but not the Rear (RH) and Rear (LH), which makes sense since mine is a Texas vehicle. I may have the ones before and after the cat, I need to check.

The code I got was P0031 which is for Front (RH) which is the one I replaced. It was not hard to get to at all, perhaps it is tougher on the Contour.

EDIT: What happened to your post? After I put mine in, the image you posted changed to one showing the dash wiring.
98SVT-00MPV

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

jas88 wrote:
Yeah, I can see it. That looks like what Ford calls a "component locator". Is that from a Ford manual or Mazda? If Mazda, what section is that in? I was looking for something like that in my Mazda factory manual but did not find it.

Mine has the Front (RH) and Front (LH) but not the Rear (RH) and Rear (LH), which makes sense since mine is a Texas vehicle. I may have the ones before and after the cat, I need to check.

The code I got was P0031 which is for Front (RH) which is the one I replaced. It was not hard to get to at all, perhaps it is tougher on the Contour.

EDIT: What happened to your post? After I put mine in, the image you posted changed to one showing the dash wiring.

Must be some sort of dynamic web page, because until I edit my post, all I see is a suspension member and a steering rack, LOL.

I'll copy the image to my server and serve it up, now that I'm home.

This one shouldn't change:

TB
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

Great diagrams Tony! I could post the tif from the database I have, it'll help, but your diagram is awesome.

Jas, I'm curious as to why you went to the trouble of replacing the sensor yourself. Depending on your state, the O2 sensors are covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty, which is 6yrs/80k miles. Some states don't cover the sensors, but the PCM and the cats are covered for sure. Worth checking into, I think.

However, Bully for trying something new and different!!!

Mazda MPV----MPVClub.com
clever Hey, you need a MPVClub.com decal -
get one here!

2000 MPV LX (Mochavan) - The One and Only
2003 Mazda MPV ES- White - Sold
2000 Volvo V70R...The SLED...
2004 Volvo XC90 T6... The VAULT...
1964 Chevy C-10 Stepside... the ROD...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jas88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

Tony, you are correct, I do have 4 sensors. 2 on the engine, and 2 at the cat (one before and one after). So it appears that Federal emissions MPVs have 4, and CA emissions MPVs have 6 (!) sensors.

I also found the diagram you showed in my manual. It was at the very back of the engine controls section.

The sensor I replaced was the Front (RH), which is in the exhaust manifold closest to the firewall. Still, it was no problem.

javadoc, I thought the emissions warranty was 5/50. Our van has 60K miles on it. Guess I need to read my manual better!

I just noticed my signature is not being attached to my posts. So I need to let y'all know that the van in question is a 2000 MPV ES. Sorry about that.
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

The Fed Emission Warranty is a Federal gig, and not mandated by Mazda... you just need to check your DOT/DMV and see what they say 'must' be covered. just a thought.
Mazda MPV----MPVClub.com
clever Hey, you need a MPVClub.com decal -
get one here!

2000 MPV LX (Mochavan) - The One and Only
2003 Mazda MPV ES- White - Sold
2000 Volvo V70R...The SLED...
2004 Volvo XC90 T6... The VAULT...
1964 Chevy C-10 Stepside... the ROD...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cwgeib

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Successfully replaced Mazda O2 sensor with Ford unit Reply with quote

I just started getting a P0134 code which I understands translates to a Bank 1 sensor 1 position. Which one of these O2 sensors is this? The drawing in this thread is great, but which O2 sensor am I looking for with a P0134? Thanks in advance.

2000 MPV LX, 101580 miles

Chris Geib

When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: