MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

emergency brake adjust
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency brake adjust Reply with quote

Maybe a helper can push in the side of the seat cushion while you do the work.

I have a 2002 and don't remember having much trouble here. My MIL has a 2004, so I may have to take a look at hers, since I think it probably needs adjusting now itself.
js27614

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency brake adjust Reply with quote

handle cover removal wont give you access to rear brakes adjustment
must be done different way
see attachment

01-02r-2.gif

01-02r-2.gif - File downloaded or viewed 352 time(s)

Last edited by js27614 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
js27614

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency brake adjust Reply with quote

one more

01-02r-3.gif

01-02r-3.gif - File downloaded or viewed 355 time(s)

scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency brake adjust Reply with quote

I believe that's for regular brake adjustment (which should be happening automatically anyway), not adjustment of the tension on the cable for the emergency brake. If this cable is too loose (it tends to slacken up over time), then even if you pull the emergency brake handle all the way up, the emergency brake still won't hold well.
js27614

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: emergency brake adjust Reply with quote

Mpv doesn't have adjustment for left and right cable on "T"- where hand brake cable connected with cables from drums . Each drum to be adjusted by "star- wheel"
Regarding how many "clicks " should be on hand brake lever - i am not sure about mpv - on smaller mazda i had 6 now on mpv 10
If over tightened - easy to burn out shoes
expy98

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency brake adjust Reply with quote

I think you're referring to rear drum brakes. My 2004 has rear disc brakes.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency brake adjust Reply with quote

There are some diagrams in the following thread which may help clarify the matter. I say "may" because one of the diagrams is actually for a Millenia, not the MPV, which is something that confused me when I first saw it, too. AFAIK, your MPV has the circular parking brake, not the one with two separate shoes.

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=163110
expy98

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: emergency brake adjust Reply with quote

dang, I've neglected it for 5 years!!! fortunately there aren't any hills around here so it hasn't been a priority.

Today, decided to try it again and got lucky. It's super easy for the 2005...

- remove phillips screw at the front of the lower plastic cover
- rotate lower plastic cover up and back. There's no other fasteners, but the rear of the lower plastic cover has a slot that fits over a metal tab. It should come complete off with some minor wiggling
- the lower handle cover is 2 pieces, use a small flat screwdriver to loosen on both sides. Rotate the rear half backward; it does not come off nor does it need to.
- 10mm nut to tighten cable is now looking straight up at you. A deep 10mm socket and tighten clockwise.

Should take 5 mins to complete but tell the wife it's a 3-beer job...

I took pics but can't post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: