MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

2004 mazda mpv trans goes in and out of gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philrmech
philrmech

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: 2004 mazda mpv trans goes in and out of gear Reply with quote

I have a 2004 mazda mpv.It has about 160000 miles thIe trans kicked out of gear about 70 mph with cruise on and I didnt what was happening engine wound real high. I stepped on the brake and it went on didnt do it anymore that day. I drove it in town and once in a while it would go out of gear.It does not seem to have any pattern for when is it going to do it.Let up on gas usually goes back in gear.Wife says it does it sometimes when she hits a bump.I checked fluid full does not smell burnt.I ham afraid it is gong to leave us stranded. Anybody have a fix for this short of overhaulin trans. thanks philr
CrazyChicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 mazda mpv trans goes in and out of gear Reply with quote

At 166K my 2002 MPV tranny gave up completely, had to take it to repair shop for total rebuild. No more comments.
2002 MPV LX over 210K Miles
philrmech
philrmech

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 mazda mpv trans goes in and out of gear Reply with quote

Surely somebody has an idea what wrong when they pull transmission all apart.It seems more like an electrical problem than a mechanical problem. Could it be transmission module or something like that.I goes I am going to buy another car.I already have a 2006 kia sedona that stays in limp home mode.I guess I am going to drive both to salvage nobodyv seems to eork on either one thanks philr
tegibson23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 mazda mpv trans goes in and out of gear Reply with quote

I have a 2004 also. Came to me last year in excellent condition and low kms.

I have experienced the 'shift shock' going from 2nd to 3rd. The transmission range switch went shortly after I got it and popped the corresponding code so I replaced.

I still get the rough shift from 2nd to 3rd. The problem almost certainly seems to be electric in nature and related to wiring or (high clutch) solenoid as the problem is sporadic and seems to be heat related. My impression is that wiring and solenoids didn't age well on the transmission (JF506E).

Perhaps you neutral clutch solenoid failed?

Are you seeing the check engine light or getting any codes?
mazdafamily0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 mazda mpv trans goes in and out of gear Reply with quote

My mazda did the exact same thing. I'm not exactly sure what they said the problem was at the time, you'll have to forgive me this was years ago, but I do remember my mechanic set me up with a remanufactured transmission replacement instead of a rebuilt one and sent me this article. If it comes time to just choose a replacement, read this first https://transmissioninfo.wixsite.com/transmissioninfo
tegibson23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 mazda mpv trans goes in and out of gear Reply with quote

If you research a bit online searching for JF506E problem with all of the vehicles (VW, LandRover, Ford, Mazda) there is alot of information but not all in one spot.

I am currently debating having the set of solenoids replaced as it seems like the problem with my transmission is not mechanical and the TCM seems fine.

Solenoid set replace:

~$300(CDN) Parts
~$350 Labour
tegibson23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 mazda mpv trans goes in and out of gear Reply with quote

philrmech, is the check engine light on? Are you able to retrieve any codes?

In terms of TCM you should be able to confirm with Mazda if it was software updated.

I think you problem is probably due to the wiring and/or solenoids though.

BTW, I replaced the transmission range switch as it was popping the corresponding code (forget which one specifically) which was definitive justification for replacing.

My 2004 MPV has only 85K on it, hasn't seen much use so I am keen to figure out what is wrong. My issue is a bit different from yours though.
philrmech
philrmech

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 mazda mpv trans goes in and out of gear Reply with quote

There is no check engine light.I drove it today.It would someimes quit pulling I would let off the gas and let rpm drop and it will pickup and go some more.They have ben sending all info on airbags replacement. I would have to drive about 120 miles.I am not sure it would make it over there or not. Has anyone overhauled one of the 5 speed auto at home in your garage. If so does it require special tools. I used to work at chevrolet used to overhaul 350 and 400 transmission.It has ben long time ago. How long can drive like this going in and out of gear thanks pgilrmech
tegibson23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 mazda mpv trans goes in and out of gear Reply with quote

There is a very good manual on the transmission just google: +jf506e +transmission +pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: