MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
memtn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

I'm new here bringing my '94 3.0, about 25% into the job of replacing timing belt pulleys.
1. Is there a trick to get G1Hawaii's photos to download?
2. I'm stumped on how to get the tensioner compressed and removed.
3. Can I remove the tensioner without removing the crank pulley?

Thanks!!!

ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

I sold my last MPV 15 years ago and got rid of my manuals, but I think I can help.

#1. It looks like the photos no longer exist. Besides this site being very old, it has been hit by hackers a couple of times that really screwed it up. With what I tell you below and Gen1's written instructions, you should be able to pull this off. Also, some google searching will provide some helpful diagrams. The good news is since this is a non interference engine, you probably won't hurt anything if you mess it up. It just won't run right or start.

#2. Assuming that you are trying to replace the belt with a new one, the best way to remove it is to remove the crank pulley. You can then easily remove the belt and tensioner. However, you can cut the belt off, but DO NOT DO ANY OF THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED #3. The best advice you will ever get on doing this job is to always replace the tensioner and only use a new o.e.m. unit. Do not buy an off brand, they always fail.

#3. Your job will go a lot easier if you remove the crank pulley. There is a trick that will make it easier. Use a socket on the nut with a large breaker bar so that it rests against the car frame. Be sure that it will not contact any hoses or wires. Unplug the spark plug leads or main high tension lead so that the car cannot start. Then, bump the starter very briefly once. That will break the nut loose and you can take it off. If you do this, you will not need to cut the belt. However, if you do cut the belt, you must make sure that the notches on the camshafts and crankshaft are perfectly lined up with the index marks, assuming that the belt hasn't jumped time. You then need make certain that the cams or crank do not move at all while the belt is off and tensioner slack. If things have jumped time, read through the posts and there will be descriptions on how to get everything positioned.

To reassemble things, you will need to compress the tensioner before you install it. You need to put it in a vise so that as you SLOWLY close the vise, it compresses the plunger. Once it is fully compressed, slip a small nail in the hole in the side of the body to retain the plunger. Once you have everything back in place, pull the nail to release the tensioner.

If you haven't done it already, remove the radiator and fan before you start the job. It may seem like a hassle to do, but it will make the belt job vastly easier and reduce the risk of damaging the radiator.

I cannot emphasize enough that you have the marks properly aligned on the cam and crank pulleys as you reinstall the belt. Make sure both before and after the tensioner has been released. Also, with spark plugs removed, turn the engine over by hand a couple of times and check the marks again.

My last advice is that you should replace everything you can while you have the timing belt off:
STAY AWAY FROM EBAY PARTS, MOST ARE CHINESE JUNK!!!
timing belt (I used Continental brand with good results)
tensioner (o.e.m. only)
idler (Continental brand)
idler bushing (cheap, but very important. There is a bulletin on that.)
cam shaft and crankshaft seals
water pump (if you leave the old pump on and it starts leaking, the coolant dripping on the timing belt will make it fail early.)

If you do all of that and assemble it correctly, you will have a trouble free installation for at least the next 80,000 miles.
memtn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

This awesome info. Thank you!
I hadn't planned on replacing the tensioner but now I'll be heading off to find a dealer deal on an oem version.

Yes, I have the rad and water pump off.

I am replacing the water pump but ran into a pile of drama on that project. I had one of the studs about 2 o'clock break off in the block. So I drilled in and began a screw/bolt extractor. Then, THAT broke off. So then I tried drilling into that. 2 bits later, including a cobalt bit, I couldn't make a dent. So, the best I can come up with is to apply plenty of silicone sealer on the drivers side when I reassemble. Arrg

I have #1 @ TDC using the distributor rotor position and a rod into #1 cylinder.
I noticed that the L cam gear mark is llined up with the arrow on the block. BUT, the R cam gear mark is 2 teeth off. Now I'm really looking forward to how she runs and her mileage when finally I'm done with this!

1 The best I've been able to understand about removing the belt without cutting it is to remove the top center pulley bolt and thenot the the pulley will drop and then the belt is removable...yes?
2 About that crank pulley, since it is keyed will I have to get a puller to get it off?
3 Is one able to remove the adjuster without removing the pulley?
4 And, I read on here somewhere to always replace the crank bolt with a new one... yes?

THANK YOU for the guidance!!
(& gen1hawaii wherever he is now...)

ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I cannot be much help from this point. It's simply been too long since I did the work. What I will say is that the folks that gave tips in these and other posts were very capable, especially Gen1. I wouldn't stray too far off of what they say. One other thing. If you try to search the forum, don't use the website's search function. It hasn't worked properly for years. The best thing is to use Google to search with mpvclub one of the terms. You will get better results.

I will say that removing the crank pulley wasn't that difficult. Once I broke the bolt loose, I gently tapped around its edge with a hammer just to break it loose. Very Gently!!! As I recall, I then used either large screw drivers or wrench handles on either side of the pulley and rocked it off. If that doesn't work, my experience has been that my local parts stores would loan the tools I needed.

Again, sorry I cannot be more help.
memtn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

You were on GREAT help!
I will do what you advise, both in trying the pulley job and how to do a search one more time. I just don't want to make any of this any worse... Smile

I'm sure your tips will be read by others that come behind me, so the best of luck to them.

I really enjoy this little handy van so THANKS AGAIN for stepping forward to help out !!

chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
New '98 and feelin' great
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Replacement 94 MPV 3.0 V-6 HELP!!! Reply with quote

Hey!

I will add that the OEM tensioner is from Beck Arnley or Gates. Many years ago, a Mazda tech told me this himself. He also proved it to me by cross-referencing the part numbers between the Mazda and the oem manufacturers and showing me on his screen lol

The timing belt kit is from Gates. same packaging and same model, except that if you were to purchase from the dealer, you would get a longer warranty. oh yea, same tech that told me about the hydro tensioner

timing belt kit:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mazda,1998,mpv,3.0l+v6,1316293,engine,timing+belt+&+component+kit,5759

hydro tensioner:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mazda,1998,mpv,3.0l+v6,1316293,engine,timing+belt+tensioner+adjuster,11999

Cool Cool

Green Machine (Green '97 ES) - 90K!
JDM chrome power-folding side mirrors with heated mirror retrofit/JDM chrome grill/JDM rear spoiler/Android 6.2" D-Din Navi/Four 7" Farenheit monitors/heated seat kit retrofits,1st and 2nd row/Crimestopper remote start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: