MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

"hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navin94mpv

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

I want to change my lifter on my mpv.Its a 1994 3.0 rwd. Has anyone had success in a high quality lifter i dont care about the price as long is not crazy expensive. Also please tell me what mileage you started and how much you have put on it now.I understand that it will come back but i want the absolute best.Thank you
1994 Mazda MPV 3.0 RWD
200,000 and still going!
Pioneer CD deck
55w 8k HID low/hi beam (fixed, soon to be 5k)
55w 3k HID projector fogs
Short Ram intake (Cold Air coming soon)
Electric Fan conversion
2.5 stainless steel exhaust
LED license Plate Bulb
LED Instrument Cluster & LED Controls
Dimpled and slotted rear rotors
Viper 5904v Alarm/remote start

2011 Toyota Camry SE V6
chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
New '98 and feelin' great
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

i did mine at about 150k miles. all 18 of them. you're lucky because you dont have an intake plenum covering both valve covers like the 96-98. much easier to access the lifters in the 89-95 engines. not a hard job.

rockauto.com sells lifters. DNJ model LIF408 - $6.51 a piece. you may want to prime those HLAs' prior to installing in the rockers unless you dont mind serious clacking for about 10 minutes straight after starting her back up. because you have a '94, it is possible that you need to purchase washers if you dont have modified rocker arms:

Click here for TSB about rocker arms and HLAs'

the TSB has the part numbers for the washers if you need them. all in all, its not a bad job. installing the rocker arm shaft with the rocker arms can be a bit annoying as the springs and separators may get in the way but at least you'll have no more ticking Smile

Green Machine (Green '97 ES) - 90K!
JDM chrome power-folding side mirrors with heated mirror retrofit/JDM chrome grill/JDM rear spoiler/Android 6.2" D-Din Navi/Four 7" Farenheit monitors/heated seat kit retrofits,1st and 2nd row/Crimestopper remote start

chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

oh, and the clacking will not come back unless you dont change the oil within the recommended intervals. other than that, after you change your HLAs', there will be no more clacking.

i changed my HLAs' because i'll say about 9 or 10 of them were clacking crazy despite having the modified rocker arms. i say about 9-10 because those were the ones that i was able to push down with my fingers. those were definitely bad as they never retained any oil in them. it was easier to swap all of them out with new ones than to troubleshoot which were the exact ones giving me the clacking issue. i primed them in oil, installed them, buttoned her back up and let her run....she clacked like crazy for about 5 minutes. then she slowly quieted down until there was no more clacking.

she never clacked again

JDM chrome power-folding side mirrors with heated mirror retrofit/JDM chrome grill/JDM rear spoiler/Android 6.2" D-Din Navi/Four 7" Farenheit monitors/heated seat kit retrofits,1st and 2nd row/Crimestopper remote start

navin94mpv

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

thanks a lot after posting this i went on rockauto. Should i buy the cheap one or the expensive one for 14.00. I also didn't understand the vin thing my is JM3LV5222R0615809 and doesn't match to any. I really didnt care for the ticking because i use mobil super 5-30 in the winter and i dont hear anything but im changing the engine because my oil passages on one of the cylinder is opened too much and im losing oil pressure so i might as well change them.And don't worry im changing everything timing,belts and tensioners ect.
1994 Mazda MPV 3.0 RWD
200,000 and still going!
Pioneer CD deck
Electric Fan conversion
LED license Plate Bulb

2011 Toyota Camry SE V6
chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

buddy you're good with the cheap ones. when i did mine...i wish i saw lifters @6 bucks a piece. i paid 12 a piece because rockauto only had one model at the time.

chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

dont worry about the vin matching. those lifters definitely are the correct lifters. however, you should look to see if you have the modified rockers under the covers. if you dont, then you'll have to install washers in your rockers prior to dropping in the new lifters to reduce the oil passage. the tsb has the part numbers of the washers.

****if you need the washers, they come in a pack of 18 so make sure you order once, not 18 times.**** you dont want 18 sets of 18 washers lol.

i believe those washers are used in other mazda vehicles so you may be in luck that your local dealers parts dept may have a set to sell right on the spot.

navin94mpv

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

thank you very much i will keep you updated if/when i do them because im spending alot of money on the mpv...also on the white mpv do you mind me asking how the procedure for retrofitting the projector into the head light along with black out housing and clear mod.I bough HID for the mpv about a year or 2 ago and their great 55w 8000k and the other day i saw your mpv on car domain and i love the projectors ist really looks good.However if the do head lights i would like to know long it took and if i could keep the 9004 housing so i could re use my HIDs.
1994 Mazda MPV 3.0 RWD
200,000 and still going!
Pioneer CD deck
Electric Fan conversion
LED license Plate Bulb

2011 Toyota Camry SE V6
chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

i really didnt have the time nor patience to figure it all out so i met with Rich from hidillusionz.com and gave him my headlights, projectors and clear lens and he retrofitted the headlights for me. he also painted the inside black to hid the imperfections. took about a week to get them back. i paid 250 for the retrofit job.

the clear lens mod was fairly easy. i used a dremel tool and sawed off the front of the lense. i took sandpaper to smooth the edges after sawing. i got a piece of plexiglass from home depot and cut a piece of plexiglass in the same shape as the i ordered weld-on plastic adhesive for polycarbonate - i forget the number ......

wait a second, i have a thread about it. totally forgot. everything i did is in the thread below.

Click Here

navin94mpv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

wow that a lot of work! At first i wanted the TL projectors but i read that the regular beam projectors work better than high/low beam projectors and i dont need high because my HID bulbs have high and low films inside(some HID bulb only have low beam).Just out of curiosity how come you had to make your own harness my HID came with them.I ordered form HIDHUB.com i paid a little over 200 i think for the dual. But i like building custom things for the van even thou buying them would be easier.But things like header i could never find for the van maybe one day ill fine out some way before I put in a different engine set up in there.
1994 Mazda MPV 3.0 RWD
200,000 and still going!
Pioneer CD deck
Electric Fan conversion
LED license Plate Bulb

2011 Toyota Camry SE V6
chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

i dunno who told you that, but those tl projectors are one of the best hi/low projectors around. at the time i did mine there were the s2000's, the fx's and infamous ls430's...whoa those are wiiiiiide. there are plenty more projectors out nowadays that are better as opposed to a few years ago but you're on top with a pair of tl's with the zkw clear lens swap. amazing.

at the time, i had no idea i could have ordered a harness . i would have done that outright but i went ahead and made my own. learned alot about reading elec schematics and how relays work, wire size to amperage, fuses...all that stuff. with my white mpv i had 4 tvs and retrofitted heated seats in the cap chairs...i wired everything myself. i was happy as a clam lol. in a way i'm happy i didnt find out about buying a harness. i definitely wouldnt know what i know now Smile

nah i dont think there are headers made for our gen mpv's. going custom would be the only way. its so cramped in the mpv engine compartment though lol. looking at mpv_tt's setup, it looks like a pipe can run down the passenger side of the engine and bend twice around the fuel tank to meet the cat. create a header for the passenger side and have it run to whereever the collector would be, eliminating the cross pipe. but would it be worth the cost for the extra hp?

navin94mpv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

oh well i guess ill just order the TL projector because i love the way the white mpv looked im so sorry sandy messed it up but couldn't you swap parts to your green mpv. What kind of HID did you order for example like the 9004 it comes with?

I understand what you mean when i had my first auto electrical class i learned wonders and installing a fog lights that consisted of many wires not the basic one all from scratch.

I was think of using the tt setup but im wondering about my gas mileage how it would be affected because my MPV has 1 o2 sensor and it would only read from i bank.I wouldn't make a header for the van but hopefully i get the dual exhaust.On the form i have heard the mpv really moves without a cat so im excited for the exhaust system.

1994 Mazda MPV 3.0 RWD
200,000 and still going!
Pioneer CD deck
Electric Fan conversion
LED license Plate Bulb

2011 Toyota Camry SE V6
chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

just remember that the tl is a very big projector for our headlights so if you're gonna do them please take your time lol. but yea the tl's are the truth. the only thing you may not like about the tl's in your mpv is the foreground light. the foreground limiter makes the light shine so far away from the front of the mpv! you'd have to modify or remove the limiter to get max foreground. i wish i did that.

yep, dual exhaust would be the way to go. join both pipes with a y-pipe and into a free flowing dual 2 in/1 out cat maybe? i dunno lol

navin94mpv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

i dont understand the limiter but probably when i get the projects ill find out also i want it to have dual exhaust all the way through with a big polished stainless steel muffle at the end and i really dont want a cat anymore it so old i dont need it when i go for inspection they just click pass,pass,pass,pass and i pay 21 dollars and leave they dont even look at the van just the mileage.
1994 Mazda MPV 3.0 RWD
200,000 and still going!
Pioneer CD deck
Electric Fan conversion
LED license Plate Bulb

2011 Toyota Camry SE V6
95mpv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: "hydraulic lifters" for 1994 mazda mpv 3.0 rwd Reply with quote

Anyone know the inch pounds / foot pounds of torque and tightening pattern for tightening the intake and valve covers on 95 Mazda MPV?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: