MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

An intriguing possibility...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwwilson721

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: An intriguing possibility... Reply with quote

3 years ago, I installed an aftermarket 2DIN radio/DVD player in the dash of my 2005 MPV ES. A cheapo Chinese one.
Well, the volume controls no longer work, and with the dearth of info on wiring/capabilities of this minivan, it was problematic and daunting to get the steering wheel controls to work, so I never did.
So, Mrs Cwwilson721 said she wants a new radio, like our daughter has in her 2018 Chevy Malibu...All the bells and whistles, SiriusXM, amps, subs, backup camera, steering wheel controls, and as much info as possible on the Headunit Screen.
Eek. Yeah. Looking up the van on the interwebbys resulted in most of the above, except the info part. All the posts/etc, and manufacturers websites have is basic SWC. No "smart harness" for this vehicle.
That was a month or so ago, and I kept looking. Somehow, due to Googles wonderful AI, it always mixed in other makes/models/years. I stumbled upon and read a few posts/articles/how-tos on doing all of this in a Mazda6. The light blinked on in my head: Hey, isn't that close?
More intense reasearch later, and viola! Due to manufacturing, the MPV and the Mazda6 are very closely related: motors, trans, alot of wiring...
So, here's my plan:
An iDataLink Maestro RR wired in like a Mazda6 into a good Kenwood Headunit, with everything the wife wants.
As this is an ongoing project, I'll try to keep this post updated as I proceed. I am planning on videoing the project, so there should be something to watch.
I figure, at the worst, I'll end up with an expensive SWC.
Updates to come...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: