MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

How long should my MPV last?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: How long should my MPV last? Reply with quote

Hi

I have a 2004 Japan spec MPV with the 2260cc / 4 speed auto transmission (https://carfromjapan.com/specifications/mazda/mpv). I bought it in 2017 when I arrived in New Zealand as a cheap car for a two year stay, freshly imported from Japan, with AA verified mileage of around 60,000km (40,000 miles). Which seems crazy low for the age but it's verified, and my local garage thinks its condition matches its mileage.

It doesn't have any rust (they don't salt the roads in Japan or NZ) and has just had the original brake discs replaced. I have it serviced every year and the discs are the only significant money I've spent.

It's now done 80,000km and is now a second car, used mostly for family road / camping trips for which it is awesome. The only downside is that it doesn't have a towing hitch or roof bars, and as our family has grown to five recently I really need to be able to add a roof box / bike racks on the roof.

As our two year stay in NZ has turned into something considerably more permanent, I'm thinking about spending the $ to have drilled roof rails + roof bars fitted, as well as a towing hitch, and keeping it long term.

Is there any reason why with this kind of mileage it shouldn't last another 5yrs or more without anything major going wrong? The hitch would probably only be used for towing boats or trailers short distances - I don't forsee towing a caravan.

We have a 2013 Honda Fit hybrid as our everyday / town car, so I'm pretty comfortable with having an older car as spare (often it goes weeks without being used). But I don't want to spend significant money on accessories if it's likely something major will come up and it won't be worth repairing.

This one has done crazy mileage on salted roads (https://jalopnik.com/this-270-000-mazda-mpv-is-a-high-mileage-hero-1829762305) so I guess it's feasible but that has the V6 transmission.

Are there any likely problems with this engine / transmission that might bite me if I decide to keep it longer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
izifaddag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How long should my MPV last? Reply with quote

I bought my MPV brand new in 2004 and am still using it. The only thing I am concerned about is the timing chain / belt. At 72k I think it is due.
It doesn't have the towing capacity I would like or the ground clearance. I could really use a tough 4 wheel drive pu. Still thinking that through.

Mazda MPV owner since 2004.
bromark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How long should my MPV last? Reply with quote

Bought our MPV new in 05, and have 187k miles on it now. We've had very few problems overall, and this forum has been invaluable in solving the few that have come up economically.

The ignition coil problem is one of the biggest issues, but if you replace them yourself, it's a cheap repair. We've had no major engine, transmission, chassis or other problems. I had to replace the power door lock servos, and the power window unit (cheap on ebay), and perform the p0421 work around. Other than that, it's been trouble free. It still looks decent, so I plan on keeping it until about 250k and then reevaluate.

I'd say, with the condition and mileage of your MPV, it will surprise me if you don't get another 5 or more years of good service. Cheers.
bkbk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How long should my MPV last? Reply with quote

2006 LX with 120K miles on it. Changed oil every 6,000 miles and no major repairs. Still runs like a new car!
JMTRANSAMSD455
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How long should my MPV last? Reply with quote

I am original owner 2003MV ES w/3.0 V6 w/109,244 miles. She runs fine but getting rust bottom passenger front door and passenger rear wheelwell. Also silverpainted alloy wheels are peeling. The other thing is the two flex pipes rotted out and were replaced . It has original cat, original middle resonator and original rear muffler with chrome tailpipe. When changing the spark plugs,I had the mechanic change all the ignitioncoils since to get to the rear spark plugs the intake manifold had to be removed. Also some of the oxygen sensors had to be replaced. Other than that , oil changes tires, front brake pads and recently the original rear brake shoes were replaced at 108411 miles.
2003 ES Sunlight SilverMobil 1,K&N 109,244Hers 2015 CX-5 GrandTour AWD2.5 Meteor Grey Mica MOLY oil60,587m2016.5Mazda CX5 TourAWD DeepChrystalBlue MazdaMOLY Oil87,215m,Son,2008 MAZDA 3S TOURING 2.3L HATCH Aurora BlueK&N Mobil1 94,719,2015 MAZDA3HATCH 2.5GT Liquid Silver 21,000mMOLYOil ,2016 Subar Forester Limited2.5AWD QuartzBluePearlMolyOil23,202mHers 1974 Trans Am LS-2 Bucanneer Red113Km SOLD 2015CrossTrekIceSilver 53,973m2019CX-5GT FWD JetBlackMica 200m
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: