MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Oil Leaking From Oil Filter Housing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sneed21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Oil Leaking From Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

Hello, long time lurker, great site. I've got a problem w/ my '03 75K miles. It is leaking oil from the filter housing and of course dripping onto the exhaust. I know the MPVs have a high pressure oil system, and thought it was from the filter not being on tight enough. I've tightened the number of turns as mentioned on other posts on this site, replaced the filter w/ the Mazda brand, and yet it still pools between the top of the filter/bottem of the housing, and drips. I get about 5-8 dime to nickle sized drips after setting overnight. I'm starting to think I have a hair line crack in the oil housing. This problem didn't start right after an oil change, but rather about 2000 miles into one. Has anyone else had this problem? I do my own work on all the cars I have owned (from engine rebuilds to routine maint) and do not plan on taking this to a shop to repair. Just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt w/ this before I call Mazda for the necessary parts. Thanks.
sneed21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking From Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

Called Mazda. $120.35 for the housing. Not too bad.
alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking From Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

A real longshot, but you don't have an old gasket still stuck to the housing do you?
'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'60 Volvo PV544, '68 122S, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40;
'84 Prelude;
'13 Ford Focus SE.
sneed21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking From Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

No, I wish it was that simple. Mating surface is clean, filters spin on freely, no mucked up threads..... it's annoying. Rolling Eyes
bubba
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking From Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

You could well have a small crack but could also have the "O" ring that seals the housing to the block surface causing the leak. The housing is actually an oil cooler as you will see two coolant lines going into and out of the cooler on the top part.
The $120 is for the entire cooler with a new 'o' ring and center attaching bolt. Not finding that you can get just the 'o' ring seal alone. Rolling Eyes

You will need a 1/2" or 13mm allen head to get that center 'bolt' out to replace the cooler. The end of the 'bolt' is what you would thread the oil filter onto so want to be very careful not to damage it. You could also order the same part from www.onlinemazdaparts.com for $96.28. Throw in a couple of oil filter to get over $100 and I believe that shipping is then free.
Couple of diagrams below.

Here is an exploded view of the cooler for removal and install. Tightening torque of bolt is 41-44 ft/lbs.
mpv oil cooler.gif

mpv oil cooler.gif - File downloaded or viewed 2151 time(s)

This is showing how to align the cooler with the locator pin so it is oriented correctly to line up with coolant hoses.
mpv oil cooler locating pin.gif

mpv oil cooler locating pin.gif - File downloaded or viewed 1832 time(s)

rollie1960
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking From Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

I would spend the money it's less than replacing the engine if you can't do what bubba wrote.
sneed21

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking From Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I'll let everyone know how it turns out, and yeah, piece of cake doing what bubba wrote. Almost the same set up as on my VR6 GTI.....which I've also changed out before. Rolling Eyes
2003 MPV
Steve Foy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking From Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

I just had this fixed on my wife's 2003 MPV with 105,000 miles. Oil was collecting around the bottom of the oil pan. I could see some oil coming down from the oil filter, but wasn't sure if oil was leaking from the oil pan gasket as well. My independent mechanic replaced the O-ring at the base of the oil cooler. He said it was badly worn. Total bill including oil change was $80. Not bad at all!
firebirdkarl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking From Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

Bubba the attachments you posted won't show for me. Can you post them again or pm me them? Thanks. And mine looks like it's leaking just were the filter goes to housing not housing seal where it meets block. So I think I need whole housing. And one of my oil cooler spider lines is leaking it looks crazy to get to and it's not the one that is from pump to cooler but cooler to block area it looks fun. Help please with the attachments and any advice on the oil cooler lines. Thanks!!!
Firebird Karl
firebirdkarl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking From Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
You could well have a small crack but could also have the "O" ring that seals the housing to the block surface causing the leak. The housing is actually an oil cooler as you will see two coolant lines going into and out of the cooler on the top part.
The $120 is for the entire cooler with a new 'o' ring and center attaching bolt. Not finding that you can get just the 'o' ring seal alone. Rolling Eyes

You will need a 1/2" or 13mm allen head to get that center 'bolt' out to replace the cooler. The end of the 'bolt' is what you would thread the oil filter onto so want to be very careful not to damage it. You could also order the same part from www.onlinemazdaparts.com for $96.28. Throw in a couple of oil filter to get over $100 and I believe that shipping is then free.
Couple of diagrams below.
(please help with attachments) Smile
Firebird Karl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: