MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Moving middle row seats back for more leg room.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Moving middle row seats back for more leg room. Reply with quote

Go here to download your owner's manual (bottom of the page): http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayManualsByModelAndYearHome.action

I stand corrected; they should unlatch from the rear, as subearu said; see pages 2-18 and 2-19 of the 2004 owner's manual. It's an easy job, but the seats are fairly heavy and bulky.

If you are a DIY type, more info than you'll probably ever want to know about your MPV can be found via this thread: http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=24639

Drilling down into the Workshop Manual, it shows three different second-row seat types (A, B, & C), each of which comes out a bit differently:

2nd Face-Lift 03-05 -> Workshop Manual -> Body & Accessories -> Seats -> Second-Row Seat Removal
MPVNZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving middle row seats back for more leg room. Reply with quote

Yes, I think you're right...I spoke to a dealer and he thinks it's a mechanic job to remove the seats and not easy to reinstall either so another mechanic job to put back in. Thanks very much for your replies.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving middle row seats back for more leg room. Reply with quote

Well, once you fold the seat down, all three of the seat types should just unlatch from the rear. Two of the three should also then unlatch from the front side, with the remaining one needing a bolt or two to be removed. Why would this require a mechanic?

Perhaps it would help if you could post a few pics of the 2nd row seat attachments, both from the rear and front sides.
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving middle row seats back for more leg room. Reply with quote

Found this post http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=91562#91562 showing how the JDM seats get a neat folding feature that NA models don't. I wonder if that prevents them from being removed?

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
danialclarcke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving middle row seats back for more leg room. Reply with quote

This sounds like a mod just to prove my '89. My 5 years, we have put her behind the driver's seat in the third row folded over long distances. He wants to rest their feet on both sides of the headrest. So this would give him more room to stretch their legs. Another advantage would be to get more space, because we only have a door on the passenger side.
translation agencies
clarkkkent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Moving middle row seats back for more leg room. Reply with quote

We have kept her behind the driver's seat in the third row folded a long distance. He wanted to rest their feet on both sides of the head. Therefore, this will give him more room to stretch legs. Another benefit is to allow more space, because we only have one door on the passengers.
Sightline Payments Kirk Sanford
bingo sites
euro1990

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Moving middle row seats back for more leg room. Reply with quote

PaulG wrote:

One thing I did that hasn't been mentioned yet is that I cut the plastic on the seat where it contacts the the rear driver side trim. This allows the seat to be pushed all the way back without contacting the trim.

I was actually checking out the seats in my "new" 04 last night, and wondered the same thing, how can the driver's side seat go back any more than 1" extra without hitting the trim on the outside edge. Seems the actual seatback will hit, not sure what I can really do about that. I'll likely do the mod regardless, at least the passenger side seat will have no clearance issues when slid toward the center. Our 1 kid is front-facing now, but if/when we have #2, it will be nice to add a bit more space for the rear-facing infant carrier again.

James
2004 ES
279,385 miles (20-May-2019)
Ann Arbor, MI

Last edited by euro1990 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Moving middle row seats back for more leg room. Reply with quote

Be curious what to think if you do it - I've put it off some time, but my kids are on a pace to be ridiculously tall and I'd like another year or three out of our '01.
Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo! - SOLD 04/2016
'13 BMW 328i
euro1990

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Moving middle row seats back for more leg room. Reply with quote

My wife and I are both relatively short, so I don't have any concerns about our kids ending up tall. However, we are planning a road trip with the in-laws this summer, I'd rather have the extra space available. Plus we haven't even tried the rear-facing seat in the MPV yet. I'm sure it would be fine without the seat mod, but more space is always a good thing. Well, unless we're talking about way more space, aka "Odyssey mega-van." That's just excessive.
James
2004 ES
Ann Arbor, MI
mpv2p

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving middle row seats back for more leg room. Reply with quote

I just did this mod to my 2nd row passenger side seat where we have a rear facing child seat. This mod is great! The extra room is so nice. I did not modify the plastic molding enough to go back to the final 3rd notch on the rails but removed enough plastic from the moldings so I could get 2 notches back further than stock. I believe I was able to only move one notch further back than stock without any modification to the plastic moldings. So I tried to strike a balance between appearance and comfort. It was the passenger side railing molding that was limiting going back to the 3rd notch. I would have had to start removing the front of the molding that would hide the railing to go back any further. If it had been the drivers sided railing I may have removed the front of the molding and let the rail poke out, but since it was on the side(passenger) that ones sees when they open the door I wanted to leave the front plastic in place and just removed under-side edge of the plastic molding on both railing sides that allowed the seat to move back two more notches than before.
2003 MPV LX 130K miles, 4 Season package, Shimmer Sand Metallic
euro1990

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Moving middle row seats back for more leg room. Reply with quote

Yeah, in our 9-10 year old van, leg room up front was way more important for us than looks. I agree that the track sticking out of the front is somewhat unattractive, but even with the seat as far back as it possibly can go, we barely get enough room for the front passenger with our son's Graco-35 rear-facing infant seat behind. And that's with me being 5'8" and my wife at 5'5". So for me, that extra inch of space is well worth the seat tracks being visible. My kids have yet to complain about how they look!

I actually did both rear seats with the full mod, hoping that on the driver's side, my 2 year old wouldn't be able to kick the driver's seat. It worked for my wife for a while, but once I put the driver's seat where I like it, she could easily kick or push it, especially with the grab handle installed on the back. Sadly, removing it didn't do the trick, so I put it back on. So instead we just go the route of having to discipline the toddler to not do it, which she does pretty well with.

Definitely looking forward to when our boy goes front-facing, he's 7 months now. But mom seems relatively comfortable with the amount of leg room she gets when sitting in front of him. Luckily I drive 95% of the time when the whole family is going somewhere. I can handle the passenger seat space for the other 5%.

James
2004 ES
Ann Arbor, MI
FrankJScott
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Big fan of this article, so kudos to you for the effort! Reply with quote

Love this site Smile I also suggest useful forums such as these guys, this website and this forum, not to mention this info and these guys here.
mpv2p

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Big fan of this article, so kudos to you for the effort! Reply with quote

FrankJScott wrote:
Love this site Smile I also suggest useful forums such as these guys, this website and this forum, not to mention this info and these guys here.

What are those forums anyways?

Has Franks login been hacked? Huh?

2003 MPV LX 130K miles, 4 Season package, Shimmer Sand Metallic
FrankJScott
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: I love this article, so well done for the effort! Reply with quote

Loving this blog Smile I recommend useful blogs like this article, this resource and this info, not to mention this url and this forum. Also worth checking out are pages such as this url, this info and this url, not to mention this forum and this resource and this source, this info and this url, not to mention this site and this site. Check out this resource, this resource and this url, not to mention this source and this website alongside blogs like this url, this info and this resource, not to mention this resource and this page and finally this blog, this article and this source as well as this blog and this article. Don't forget this article, this forum and this resource, not to mention this website and this website alongside pages such as this resource, this site and this resource. Moreover there's this blog and this site and finally this resource, this resource and this blog. Moreover this website and this blog are good too!
FrankJScott
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Yesterday, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Big fan of this article, so well done for the time spent! Reply with quote

Big fan of this page Smile I recommend useful articles such as this url, this resource and this source, not to mention this url and this url. Also worth checking out are forums such as this website, this forum and this info, not to mention this forum and this page and this url, this source and this article, not to mention this resource and this article. Check out this site, this url and this page, not to mention this forum and this url alongside sites such as this forum, this resource and this url, not to mention this source and this article and finally this info, this article and this resource as well as this source and this website. Don't forget this source, this info and this url, not to mention this forum and this info alongside pages such as this website, this website and this source. Moreover there's this site and this article and finally this site, this article and this site. Moreover this page and this site are good too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Do It Yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: