MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Two condensors in Windstar instead of one in MPV?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curbcrusher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Two condensors in Windstar instead of one in MPV? Reply with quote

I test drove an MPV the other day. Keeping in mind I did so at a combination Ford/Mazda dealership, the salesman told me that the Windstar has two consendors for its air conditioning as opposed to only one for the MPV.

I have to admit that I have close to no idea what he was talking about, so would you wise folks explain it to me and perhaps also explain whether I should care?
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Two condensors in Windstar instead of one in MPV? Reply with quote

curbcrusher wrote:
I test drove an MPV the other day. Keeping in mind I did so at a combination Ford/Mazda dealership, the salesman told me that the Windstar has two consendors for its air conditioning as opposed to only one for the MPV.

I have to admit that I have close to no idea what he was talking about, so would you wise folks explain it to me and perhaps also explain whether I should care?

I guess he meant the number of A/C evaporators. However if the MPV is equipped with rear air conditioning, then the rear unit has its own evaporator, even though there is only one A/C compressor. Which means, you either operate both A/Cs or none (you still can play with the temperature settings in front and rear independently but that's just mixing hot and cold air in different proportions).

Anyway, I doubt that Windstar has two completely independent A/C units. If not, then it's just like MPV.

I hope this helps.
big_guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Two condensors in Windstar instead of one in MPV? Reply with quote

I believe you can have the rear AC or front AC on individually (blowing air and providing cooler) but the "AC" button needs to be depressed up front to have the rear AC work.
Hers: Sunlight Silver 2002 MPV LX w/ Security, Lux, 4-Seasons, Rear Air, & Roof Rack
His: Polished Pewter 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S, auto w/ ABS and SAB
slbenz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Two condensors in Windstar instead of one in MPV? Reply with quote

As a former Ford Windstar owner, I can assure you that there are not two condensors in the vehicle. Yes, it is similar to the Mazda MPV with front and rear A/C but the rear is activated by the front. Thank goodness I got rid of the Windstar in favor of the MPV.
2007 Mazda 5 Grand Touring
2003 Mazda MPV ES (Sold)
2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Station Wagon
1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL
1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Two condensors in Windstar instead of one in MPV? Reply with quote

Science Lesson Air Con 101:
Each Air Con unit is an evaporator - the refrigerant is heated up and evaporated by taking heat out of the air blown thru it (cooling the air) - so thats what each air/con does, but the refrigerants are both fed back forward to the compressor which turns it back into a fluid (hot) under pressure and then into the condenser in front of the engine radiator to cool it.

It then travels back to each air/con unit. The air/con units pass it through an adjustable expansion nozzle which supercools the refrigerant (like compressed CO2) which then soaks up the heat in the air.

So: 2 x air/con = 2 x evaporators plus one compressor and one condenser.

If they had two condensers, then they would also need two compressors - ever heard of that?

I think he is talking thru a hole in his head - wow - I can see right thru...
Laughing

PS stick with the MPV HEHE! Wink

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Two condensors in Windstar instead of one in MPV? Reply with quote

If the rear fan is not on but coolant is circulating in the rear evaporator when the a/c is on, is there a danger of the evaporator getting so cold that it freezes inside and therefore disrupts circulation? I really have no idea how cold the coolant gets, so I hope this isn't a dumb question. Embarassed
15 Town and Country
08 Town and Country Limited 180 000 km - Sold
02 MPV ES Midnight Blue 125 000 km - Sold
05 Kia Amanti - aka Old Man Car 68 000 km
96 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed Dark Green 105000 km - Sold

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Bob and Doug McKenzie
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Two condensors in Windstar instead of one in MPV? Reply with quote

I reckon - thru my own logic, that the Rear Air-con switch will turn on/open a solenoid valve to allow refrigerant flow in the rear circuit, so I don't believe there will be any refrigerant working/moving in the rear circuit when off.

For the rear to work tho, it does need the compressor to run which is triggered by the front Air-con being turned on.

So the air moving in the rear circuit - if the fan runs, will not get cooled, and there is no fluid movement so there is no harm done in the piping or unit.

Hope that explains things a little.

Cheers...

goggles

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
FrankJScott
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Big fan of this topic, so thank you for your efforts! Reply with quote

Love this site Smile I also recommend useful forums such as this site, these guys and this site, not to mention this info and this website here.
FrankJScott
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: I love this blog, so big thanks for the effort! Reply with quote

Loving this site Smile I suggest related forums like this forum, this source and this website, not to mention this page and this forum. Also worth checking out are blogs such as this article, this forum and this blog, not to mention this article and this article and this url, this source and this article, not to mention this article and this site. Check out this info, this blog and this site, not to mention this resource and this source alongside blogs such as this url, this article and this site, not to mention this forum and this blog and finally this page, this article and this site as well as this article and this resource. Don't forget this page, this article and this blog, not to mention this info and this article alongside pages like this page, this article and this blog. Moreover there's this page and this resource and finally this resource, this page and this blog. Moreover this info and this forum are good too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: