MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

sliding door lubrication
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pele

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: sliding door lubrication Reply with quote

scross wrote:
If it's just a matter of the sliding doors not wanting to open like they should, the rubber seals around the doors tend to get sticky with time, making things hard to open - kind of like having to open a door that has been frosted shut in cold weather. Take a wet rag and wipe all the seals (top, bottom, side, wherever) and their mating surfaces down until they are nice and clean. Some people like to go back and put a rubber conditioner on the seals, too.

Nah, it's not the seals.

They have quite a bit of resistance when they slide as well.

2003 ES - Coastal Blue Metallic - Side Airbags - Power Sliding Doors - Leather - Rear A/C (Original Options)

Self installed rear heat; heated mirrors, fog lights, large wiper bottle, Heavy duty wiper motor. Working on the whole 4-Seasons Package; Just need a transmission cooler.
ChuckWheat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door lubrication Reply with quote

[quote="Ned Rothstein"]WD40 is NOT a lubricant!!! It is a water dispersing (WD) solvent. I recommend either a lithium based white grease, or a synthetic (teflon) based grease for use in bearings, and for hinges, etc. and general lubrication, I usually dip into my bike repair kit for a can of Finish Line dry formula chain lube. Since it dries completely, it doesn't attract dirt.

Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Ordered Finish Line Dry product off of Amazon ($12.44 / 8oz Squeeze bottle), and lubed the sliders/hinges with it after wiping everything down from the last white lithium grease treatment that left a gooey, sticky mess in the desert environment.

Application was easy, and the squeeze bottle works to get the lubrication where it's needed on the tracks, bearings, hinges, and door posts/receivers. Doors do seem to be easier to manually open and shut, will advise later on how well it works over time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Do It Yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: