MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Wheel lugs - issues with breakage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChuckWheat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Wheel lugs - issues with breakage Reply with quote

It's always something...

In June I was out driving and heard a loud "POP" while u-turning to the left. I stopped to take a look and found four of the five lug bolts had snapped off, leaving one holding the wheel on. After having the MPV towed back home, my son and I managed to replace all five lugs, reseated them in the hub, and put the tire back on with no problems noted. I believed it was probably the tire shop that installed tires in April overtightened them with an impact wrench.

Fast forward to today, and I heard some scuffing noises as I was driving, and felt a very minor indication of something vibrating. It turned out two of the replaced lug bolts had sheared off again. I limped home, and have the new lugs ready to repeat the process AGAIN.

What's bothering me is that we hand-tightened the lug nuts when we did the job in June, it shouldn't have broken again. Has anyone else encountered this before, have some ideas on things to check when we have it torn down again, any ideas are welcome, I don't want to have to do this again in the spring. Thanks in advance!
CrazyChicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel lugs - issues with breakage Reply with quote

Do you tightened nuts with torque wrench to spec (75-110 ft.lb) or just by your best guess? It takes more time to do 20 nuts to spec, but you doing this not for profit and extra minute or two does not impose too heavy on your schedule. If time is your limiting factor, speed up process by cordless nut-driver with torque below spec (that is what I do) - nut-driver first, then torque wrench at 105 ft.lb.
2002 MPV LX over 200K Miles
ChuckWheat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel lugs - issues with breakage Reply with quote

Hi CrazyChicken, thanks for your response once again.

I've never used a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts in 40 years of motoring, always used the star-pattern method of tightening by hand (never with power tools).

Having said that, this experience is making me re-examine how I do this going forward. I'm also planning on checking the torque once a week for several weeks after this next adventure in replacing the lugs again.

Live and learn... (sigh)
CrazyChicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel lugs - issues with breakage Reply with quote

I just count my years, (J.C.!) I have 45 and did not use torque wrench until 15 years ago. I decided that better I spend extra seconds on adjusting tool than destroy thread or worth. Never regret this decision.
2002 MPV LX over 200K Miles
ChuckWheat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel lugs - issues with breakage Reply with quote

Thanks again for your responses, CC.

Wheel lugs replaced today, torqued to about 100 ft/lbs, back up and operational. Will advise if problems resurface, as no obvious warping of the hub or damage to the wheel noted.

On a side note, it took about half the time it did the first time we changed out the lugs...experience counts, I suppose...lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: