MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Likely retiring the '97
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manitoba mpv 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Likely retiring the '97 Reply with quote

We passed our '97 MPV on to our son and daughter-in-law in mid-2016.

It's been an outstanding vehicle - we bought it in 2001, and it still runs well the original engine, tranny, and diff still working well at close to 350K km.

But, we are in rust country, and that has taken a toll. Both sets of tires (winters and 3-season) are worn out, the body is badly rusted, the AC quit a few years ago, and now someone has smashed a couple of windows. It is time!

I installed a rebuilt distributor in 2014, and have a hydraulic tensioner and various used but still-good timing belts on hand. They're available to anyone here who will pay the shipping, and a small fee for my cost of packaging. Any takers?

The tensioner and one TB both have 98K km on them, and I replaced them on the basis of mileage, not because of any problems.

Cheers!

Many Mazdas over the years, including two 1st-gen MPVs
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Likely retiring the '97 Reply with quote

If you got any picture of the car to post for maybe a potential part out, maybe some others can point out some other parts that we would like?

Sad to hear rust has taken down your ride though

1997 Mazda MPV 4WD (Towing Package)
Black & Silver 2 Tone / 4 Channel Amp (Components & Coaxials) / Sound Deadened Front to Back / 55W HID Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit/ Front, Side, OEM Rear Wind Deflectors / NOS Mud Guards / Aluminum Cluster Rings / Running 235/70/15s
1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
Black & Silver 2 Tone
2019 Accord Sport 1.5T
Black
manitoba mpv 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Likely retiring the '97 Reply with quote

These are the parts I have which I would want if I had Gen 1 MPV that I was going to keep for a few more years:

- factory roof rack crossbars and tie-down bars

- distributor (which contains the electronic ignition)

- factory alloy wheels

- spare timing belts and hydraulic tensioner

manitoba mpv 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Likely retiring the '97 Reply with quote

I salvaged the factory roof rack, and still have an old hydraulic tensioner and some used but still good timing belts. The only cost to anyone here on the forum would be shipping.

I didn't pull the distributor or the factory wheels, so they're gone.

I still have the factory service manuals for both the '90 and the '97, which I'll probably hang onto just in case a minty low-mileage MPV ever turns up.

ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Likely retiring the '97 Reply with quote

Well Manitoba, another good one bites the dust! I haven't been on the site in quite a while and this is what I see. It's been years since I moved out of my last MPV and I still miss them. I love vans so much, I bought a used Sienna about a month ago, even though I have no practical use for one. Except for rear wheel drive, the Sienna beats the MPV in every way. In spite of that, I miss the MPV more than any other car I've ever owned.

Good luck with whatever you now have. It will be a great car if it works half as well as the MPV served you!
manitoba mpv 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Likely retiring the '97 Reply with quote

Ctom3, it's good to hear from you!

I would say that the '97 MPV was the best vehicle we've ever owned. Bought it used in October '01 with 94K km on the clock. We paid C$13100 (so with tax it was almost exactly C$15000. I was hoping to get eight years out of it, which I figured would take it up to about 250K km. We finally retired it in December '18 with 344K km on the clock. No major repairs, although I got pretty good at changing timing belts and leaky O-rings. Were it not for the salt used on the roads here, we'd still be driving it. The drivetrain was still strong right to the end.

We bought a 2009 Kia Sedona in 2016, and at that time gave the MPV to our son and daughter-in-law. (We've now sold them the Kia to replace the MPV.)

We bought an '09 Mazda 5 in 2013, and it's our only car at this point. It's certainly easier on gas than the MPV, but I can't see it lasting 21 years. The manual transmission is great fun though.

As I've said before, if I could buy a new 1st-gen MPV, I would! (Let's see, I'll take a '91 in 4WD with the 5-speed manual, please.)

Best wishes to you! Like you, I intend to continue to check in here once in a while.

MPVSURFER

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Likely retiring the '97 Reply with quote

Interested in the roof rack gaskets and rack feet and other parts you may have.
98 MPV ALLSPORT ES 2WD 194k MILES, SUPER CLEAN!
Shaggy

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Likely retiring the '97 Reply with quote

I have a 91 going to the dump if no one wants it. 60,000 on motor. EVERYTHING is good sup trans. Set up for camping. Have both bench seats. This van is super clean and everything works!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: