MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Clear the codes. I would separate the intake throttle body from the intake manifold and see if too much carbon has built up on all the passages. Look for vacuum leaks. Check to see if knock sensor is hooked up.
mpvwinning

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Hi - I have cleared the codes a few times and the only two that come back are P0175 and P1309. Just changed the Crankshaft Sensor and it seems to have fixed a lot of the acceleration issue...at least so far. Going to see if codes come back today while driving kids around.

Had the intake throttle body off a few weeks back and chiseled out gobs of carbon from in there. Can't find any vacuum leaks (sure would love to though!)

Knock sensor? What is that? Sounds like something I should replace though Wink

We do have the hooting sound back again (cleaned the IAC awhile back) but figure I'd just replace that with a new one as well. Should be here Thursday.

I love this site - not sure what we would do without it! Thanks for the input Smile
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

I suppose I meant to write, "fix the cause of the codes" ... not realizing you were already making the effort.

Always fix first what you know to fix. The knock sensor is almost hidden, screwed into the block, near the transmission on the "back side" (RH side) of the engine. If I remember correctly.

It sometimes help to (temporarily) plug off all vacuum hoses leaving the intake manifold and see if it eliminates the leak ... after that, start looking at the intake manifold itself. ... and the front cover, and the oil pan, etc, etc.
euro1990

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

I believe the PCV hose is also known to collapse and cause issues. Might want to look at its condition and replace it if it has never been replaced.

I'm dealing with an odd low-power / rich-smell situation on my Mazda 6. I'm kinda leaning toward weak ignition coils, since the issue sorta comes and goes. Just my latest theory though. I spent $90 replacing all the injectors, sadly that didn't help. So maybe coils could be an issue for you too.

James
2004 ES
279,385 miles (20-May-2019)
Ann Arbor, MI
mpvwinning

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

We did the PCV fix with the copper elbow awhile back, wishing it were something that simple.

Strangely, the van ran almost fine for a few days when it was cooler outside. Now it is upwards of 80 degrees out and it is back to running lousy again.

Boggy acceleration from a stop to about 20 mph. Feels almost like when riding a bike and you switch gears - it takes awhile for the chain to get onto gear. Once it catches, it works as it should.

Also back is the hard shift (shift shock). Intermittent loss of power break booster too. Thinking a vacuum leak somewhere but can not find one for the life of me.

Also, we have a Camshaft sensor ready to install as soon as we get a chance. Not sure if that'll work or not.

Still throwing P0175 and P1309 codes as well. Changed coils, wires, coil pack, MAF, Crankshaft sensor, Air Filter...so far.

Any suggestions? IAC arrives tomorrow!

Thank you for any and all suggestions you can throw my way!
mpvwinning

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

So...just drove kids home from school and once gain had all the usual symptoms. Decided to investigate one of the rattle sounds coming from underneath. Think I may have found my problem. The ring hanging down is the other end of the flex pipe connection! This might explain why, with all the symptoms I've had - the van has NEVER stalled.

Never thought to look under the car!

2017-04-26 18.34.50.jpg

2017-04-26 18.34.50.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 156 time(s)

csjames

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Purchased our 04 MPV new in 2005 before the birth of our fourth child. Replaced the PCV hose (common problem), three sets of tyres, set of pads for the front brakes, ignition coils, spark plugs, quite a few oil and filter changes. Water pump failed last August because the impeller is plastic. Had the auto trans serviced recently. Had the radiator replaced today as the side split. Made of plastic also. Taught two teenagers to drive and a third is learning to drive in it. Has covered about 170000 kilometres. We will keep it until it eventually dies.
2004 MPV, Sunlight Silver Metallic. Right Hand Drive. Australia. 1996 Mitsubishi Magna V6.
mpvwinning

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Nice to see another MPV lover Smile Our middle son will be driving on ours in the next few weeks...hopefully. Shop just called and advised that we replace both cats - for $1500. On the fence...
csjames

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

We had the same shift shock issue. Once the auto trans was serviced with new trans fluid, the shock on up shifts has disappeared. With all the work done over the last two months, the car drives like new again. [/move]
2004 MPV, Sunlight Silver Metallic. Right Hand Drive. Australia. 1996 Mitsubishi Magna V6.
bromark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

We've had very few problems with our 06 MPV. Brakes, plugs, coils, tires, door actuators. I've done all the work myself, so cost of ownership has been very low for the 180k miles we've owned it (bought it new).
AdventureVan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

I'm going on 2 years so I'm not a long time owner but the van has been an good experience no major issues. It's got some quirks some odd nvh issues. I'm familiar with the drivetrain since I was a Ford tech for a while. Honestly though I wish I waited and bought a Sienna or Caravan. I want more room! I also anticipate crampt quarters when our little baby arrives Wich brings me to the non side impact airbag rating 😬.
euro1990

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

AdventureVan wrote:
I'm going on 2 years so I'm not a long time owner but the van has been an good experience no major issues. It's got some quirks some odd nvh issues. I'm familiar with the drivetrain since I was a Ford tech for a while. Honestly though I wish I waited and bought a Sienna or Caravan. I want more room! I also anticipate crampt quarters when our little baby arrives Wich brings me to the non side impact airbag rating 😬.

Every now and then we pack our 2004 for a long trip and I think "some more space sure would be nice." But we're a family of 4, kids are 6 and 8. Occasionally our 2 idiot dogs come along. We've never had to leave anything home due to lack of space.

For me the smaller size is a nice novelty since you can't buy a minivan this size any more. For my daily work commute I enjoy the smaller/lighter package that I think is more enjoyable to drive and easier to park. My aunt used to have a 2007 Sienna and I really hated how it drove, felt like an enormous tall Camry. Interior quality was surprisingly bad too, lots of hard plastic that liked to squeak or rattle. The latest ones are better inside, but they're still way too huge and floaty for me.

My 2004 MPV is coming up on 280k, I haven't done anything besides regular maintenance items in the 154k miles we've driven it over the last 7 years. Still impresses me how smooth and quiet it drives. 3.0 still has plenty of power. Transmission shifts like new. Really the most durable car we've ever had.

I recently got a sweet deal on an ultra-clean 2005 with 139k on it at a local insurance auction. Spent its entire life in WA state, appears to have never seen road salt. Definitely not the case with my 2004 here in Michigan. My original plan was to just strip it for spare and rust-free parts, but I might take a crack at straightening the front end and putting it back on the road. Worth a shot I figure. But with how well my 2004 still runs, I certainly didn't buy it due to mine needing mechanical items. She towed her "little brother" home 90 miles on the highway like it was nothing Wink

Poor thing Sad

James
2004 ES
279,385 miles (20-May-2019)
Ann Arbor, MI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: