MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

leak on passenger floorboard under dash
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPVSURFER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

i have a leak showing up on the passenger side floorboard on the left side under the dash. It appears to be coming from somewhere inside the dash. This may be a radiator fluid leak but, is a VERY small leak. Radiator did not require to be topped off. Can you help me out with what it is and how to fix this?
98 MPV ALLSPORT ES 2WD 194k MILES, SUPER CLEAN!

MPV leak 3.jpg

MPV leak 3.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 119 time(s)

mpvclub65170
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

Could the leak be AC condensate? The evaporator coil is in that area. Perhaps the evaporator coil case is cracked and leaking?

The evaporator coil is inside the white case to the left of the blower.

Ed

2014-07-30 19.28.25_PerfectlyClear.jpg

2014-07-30 19.28.25_PerfectlyClear.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 111 time(s)

MPVSURFER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

Thank you 170! I will give that a closer look on the ac condensation box.
The leak shows up on the floorboard about 5" to the left of the box in your picture. Good thought and I will let you know what i find. Do you know if
there is a heater hose (with radiator fluid) up in this general area?

mpvclub65170
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

The heater core is above and forward of that area, but there are no rubber hoses behind the dash. The metal heater core inlet and outlet pipes stick through the firewall.

From what you describe, it doesn't sound like a coolant leak. You'd certainly recognize the sweet antifreeze smell.

Ed
MPVSURFER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

I have confirmed the leak is radiator fluid, so, the heater core must be leaking. Bummer. Can anyone help me with how to do this repair?
Drawings or pictures or diagrams for this repair? Thanks in advance.

MPVSURFER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

Bump
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

I have a parts MPV parked out back with the dash out

Ill check tomorrow for you and see what advice I can give you
when there is light since it's night time right now

As far as the dash removal, you've got quite a process ahead of you as far as I can remember from the last time I removed one

1997 Mazda MPV 4WD (Towing Package)
Black & Silver 2 Tone / 4 Channel Amp (Components & Coaxials) / Sound Deadened Front to Back / 55W HID Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit/ Front, Side, OEM Rear Wind Deflectors / NOS Mud Guards / Aluminum Cluster Rings / Running 235/70/15s
1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
Black & Silver 2 Tone / Sound Deadened Doors
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

Update, took a look inside the car and looks like you wont be able to see anything without take apart the air conditioning system underneath the dash, at the minimum you'll want to take apart the blower motor section.

Do you use your A/C alot? if so, I would say maybe the water condensation inside is leaking from a crack in the plastic and the dirty color is from all the dirt and leaves inside

1997 Mazda MPV 4WD (Towing Package)
Black & Silver 2 Tone / 4 Channel Amp (Components & Coaxials) / Sound Deadened Front to Back / 55W HID Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit/ Front, Side, OEM Rear Wind Deflectors / NOS Mud Guards / Aluminum Cluster Rings / Running 235/70/15s
1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
Black & Silver 2 Tone / Sound Deadened Doors
mpvclub65170
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

I've not done this job but the service manual calls for removing the dash to access the heater core.

Here's a pic from the manual.

Ed

HeaterCore.jpg - 129.86 KB
File downloaded or viewed 16 time(s)

MPVSURFER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

Update, had to pull the COMPLETE dash to replace the leaking heater core!!
Took about 12 hours but, also shored up all the ducting with aluminum tape and foam. Now the heat works off the hook hot and vents blow out more air!! Also lubed up the control levers and they slide like butter. Dealership said this would have cost $1600.00 for this job.

MPVSURFER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

picture

20181117_170745_resized_2.jpg

20181117_170745_resized_2.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 37 time(s)

MPVSURFER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

pic

20181117_134633_resized_3.jpg

20181117_134633_resized_3.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 37 time(s)

mpvclub65170
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

Hey, great job!

I've been wanting to do this for years. What part took the longest to do?

Did you have to disconnect any of the wires going to the airbags or airbag module?

Ed
MPVSURFER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

It was not too bad, just a lot of time. Took me about 12 hour (dealership calls for 8 hours). The most challenging was to remove the core's hoses on the firewall, hard to reach. The next would be trying to stab back in the damper box (with the core inside) and getting the two core pipes to go thru the firewall. I did spend time making sure the ducting was all sealed up well with foam tape and aluminum a/c tape. Now, the heater blows HOT air AND with all the sealing up, the vents blow air with more force! I'm stoked!!
Yes, airbag had to be removed so unwired. It does take 2 people to lift the dash out of the car.

mpvclub65170
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: leak on passenger floorboard under dash Reply with quote

Excellent work again.

I wish there was a way to retrofit a cabin air filter in our MPVs.

A couple of years ago, I was trying to improve my AC performance and found the evaporator coil was completely clogged with mold and crud. A lot of that could could be caught by a cabin air filter.

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=29061

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: