MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

AC blower only works on high
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rybegooch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: AC blower only works on high Reply with quote

This may be a common problem but if anyone knows anything about this problem it would be greatly appreciated!

2004 MPV. The blower motor only runs on #4. The AC button light only turns on when the speed is set to #1. My online searches indicated it was the resistor, but a mechanic friend of mine told me probably a relay.

So... I have the repair manual and it shows 2 relays - AC relay and front blower motor relay. I tested the AC relay and tests fine. I can't find the front blower motor relay. Any idea where this is? I'm looking under the steering wheel and see what looks like a couple relays but not sure which is which. (The repair manual seems to show it's behind the steering wheel, see attached).

Thanks!

MPV Control System.jpg

MPV Control System.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 2195 time(s)

alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: AC blower only works on high Reply with quote

Yes it is a typical problem with the relay and those symptoms.
I think it is located near the cabin filter. Seem to remember a DIY thread on it at one time.

Also, it is normal for the A/C to only work when the fan is on. It is supposed to be that way and has nothing to do with your blower only working on speed 4.

'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'60 Volvo PV544, '68 122S, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40;
'84 Prelude;
'13 Ford Focus SE.
rybegooch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: AC blower only works on high Reply with quote

Thanks, when I get home I'll look there. From the van's diagram, it looks like that front blower relay is under the steering wheel somewhere or under the dashboard. I took the attached picture from under the steering wheel of a couple relays. Any idea if those are the relays I'm looking for?

Under steering wheel.JPG

Under steering wheel.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 2055 time(s)

alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: AC blower only works on high Reply with quote

I see what you mean about that diagram.
I'm just going on what I think I remember reading about them being by the cabin filter / blower area.

No clue what those in your photo are for - never had to access any relays on the MPV yet.

'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'84 Prelude;
'13 Ford Focus SE.
rybegooch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AC blower only works on high Reply with quote

Well, for anyone else with this problem, I found the solution! The AC relay under the hood was easy to test and tested fine. The blower relay was indeed right behind the steering wheel (in the pic it's the one on the left). Just give it a steady tug and it will come off the metal clip that holds it in place from behind, then remove it from the wire and test. Mine tested just fine, so I knew that wasn't it.

In the end, it was a bad resistor. In order to test it, I just used some household 12/2 wire I had and just bypassed the old resistor and suddenly the AC ran fine, nice and cold, but only on the high speed. But that told me it was definately a bad resistor. So the Mazda dealership ordered it for me, about $110. The resistor isn't available by itself; you have to order the plastic air duct section that the resistor is attached to also. I just unscrewed the new resistor from the new plastic and screwed it right into where the old resistor was, thus only having to remove the glove compartment instead of everything else. Very easy repair in the end. Now AC works great, just in time for 90 degree Vegas weather this next week!
alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: AC blower only works on high Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your solution.
How did you test the relays to determine that they were ok?

I guess I must have been thinking of the resistor since that's what you found behind the glovebox.

'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'84 Prelude;
'13 Ford Focus SE.
rybegooch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AC blower only works on high Reply with quote

I'm a newbie, so I didn't even know what a relay was for when my buddy originally told me it was probably a relay. Turns out relays are super easy to test. To figure out how, I just googled "how to test a relay" and found some helpful tutorials.

A relay has 4 terminals sticking out of it. 2 of them are for the power circuit, and 2 are for the control circuit. When power runs through the control circuit, it closes the circuit of the power circuit and allows electricity to run through it. And when that power circuit closes, there is an audible click, so you can literally hear your relay working properly.

To test, I bought little test wires with clips for $3 from an auto parts store. Take your 2 test wires, and use one to connect the + car battery terminal to one of the 2 control circuit terminals, then use the second test wire to connect the relay's other control circuit terminal to some metal part of your car to ground it. As soon as you do this, you'll hear a click, meaning relay's power circuit just closed. I got a little fancier and used my multimeter to measure the resistance of this circuit, just to make sure it seemed ok, but if you hear the click, most likely it's running fine. And if you can't identify which terminals from your relay are control and power, just guess. I hooked it up wrong initially and it didn't burn out or anything.
Dan-jan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: AC blower only works on high Reply with quote

hi Rybegooch or anyone else who knows about this -

I have this problem too. My blower fan only works on position 4, or high. I told DW, "Hey, no problem, now we have 4 Off settings."

Anyway, it makes sense that it's a resistor. Behind the glove box? I'll check there and see if it's obvious, but if anyone knows exactly where to find the resistor and what to order, I'll be grateful!!

2003 MPV LX - 235k miles
1951 Willys CJ3A
nls
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: AC blower only works on high Reply with quote

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=15232 might have some helpful info.
2000 MPV LX - 182,500 miles
2011 Hyundai Sonata - 65,000 miles
1995 Saturn SW1 - Donated at 197,500 miles
2007 Hyundai Sonata - 122,500 miles
Dan-jan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AC blower only works on high Reply with quote

Great tip, nls. Thanks! I'm encouraged to think that I may be able to repair my resistor per what others have done.
2003 MPV LX - 235k miles
1951 Willys CJ3A
andrewins

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AC blower only works on high Reply with quote

I'm new here but I have the same prob and took out the resistor and it looks fine. no burnt out element like some of the threads show. I just found out from a parts store that they only have a rear resistor listed. Makes me wonder if I could use my rear one in the front. Does anybody know where the rear blower resistor is located?

Thanks for any help on this...

AndrewI
D962JONES

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AC blower only works on high Reply with quote

Where is the resistor duct located?
David R Jones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: