MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

2003 LX misfires, spark plugs, coils, etc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefulminator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: 2003 LX misfires, spark plugs, coils, etc. Reply with quote

I am the original owner of a 2003 LX with 145k miles which my teenage son has been driving. It was running fine and then we let it sit when he left for college. The first time I drove it after sitting for about 2 months, it started running rough and threw a cylinder 1 misfire code. Thinking it was possibly water in the gas, I added some seafoam gas treatment. Shortly after that it started running good again. When my son came home for Christmas break, it started running rough again and threw a cylinder 2 misfire code.

I started looking into MPVClub topics and decided to check the dealer maintenance records to see when the spark plugs were last changed. With all the regular maintenance I've had done I can't find any record of new plugs. I read up on spark plug replacement here and decided I would try to tackle it myself. I won't have a good day to do it for a couple weeks but I went ahead and ordered Autolite XP104 plugs from RockAuto. I had a little free time so I decided to take a look at plugs 4-6 today. They were pretty badly worn. My bigger concern is that when I pulled the coil packs, there was oil in all three of the plug wells. Pulling the plugs allowed oil on the threads but none of the electrodes appeared to be wet.

I'm looking for advice. I don't mind replacing the plugs or even the coils myself. I'm concerned that now I might also need new gaskets in the plug wells. It isn't the seal replacement that concerns me but rather how much engine disassembly is required. Am I better off taking my lumps and having the dealer do the work?

0127181525.jpg - 61.09 KB
File downloaded or viewed 34 time(s)

0127181514.jpg - 57.6 KB
File downloaded or viewed 30 time(s)

Armor01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 LX misfires, spark plugs, coils, etc. Reply with quote

You are probably already done with this project by now. I would have replaced the valve cover gaskets to stop the oil leak. I tuned my 2002 up last fall and I replaced the plugs, coil packs and the (for a lack of knowing the actual word for it) the intake seals. Plugs were OK but they had rust on the porcelain and I was told that that could lead to miss fire issues too. Wasn't all that bad really. It took longer because I'd stop and take pictures. This was fun compared to changing 2 Oxygen Sensors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: