MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

engine stalling, intermittently won't turn over
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leebanbiff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: engine stalling, intermittently won't turn over Reply with quote

1990 mpv v6 4x4, 122XXX

Was pulling into work the other day and my MPV stalled, was able to coast it into the parking lot. Left it there overnight, and the next morning it started right up, then died again after about 3 minutes of idling. I can hear the fuel pump coming on, motor is getting spark (sprayed starter into the intake and it ignited). It's almost like the injectors aren't opening up.

I decided to swap out the fuel filter to see if that did anything and got another 4 or 5 trips out of it before it was dead at work again (drove to work fine, but wouldn't start when I tried to go home).

When it dies it cuts out like someone turned the key to acc, my stereo and headlights and everything stay on. Seems to start more reliably cold, but after it runs for a while and dies it won't start again on its own for hours.

I messed around with the distributor cap today, filed at the contacts a little bit as they were pretty rusty, and it turned over and ran for about 4 minutes then died.

Any ideas? My initial focus was on the diaphragms and solenoids in between the fuel filter and the injector rails as one of the solenoids is damaged, but i feel like it has been that way for years. Car has always run pretty smoothly and nothing seems amis when I do get it to turn over.

Thanks for your help
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: engine stalling, intermittently won't turn over Reply with quote

Out of curiosity did you get the ignition switch recall done? that would at least rule out that first thing.

Sounds more electrical but hard to tell without any other clues

1997 Mazda MPV 4WD (Towing Package)
Black & Silver 2 Tone / 4 Channel Amp (Components & Coaxials) / Sound Deadened Front to Back / 35W HID / Front, Side, OEM Rear Wind Deflectors / NOS Mud Guards / Aluminum Cluster Rings / Running 235/70/15s
1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
Black & Silver 2 Tone / Sound Deadened Doors
leebanbiff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: engine stalling, intermittently won't turn over Reply with quote

Never got around to the ignition switch recall, could it cause this kind of behavior?
leebanbiff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: engine stalling, intermittently won't turn over Reply with quote

Seems to have been fixed with a new Ignition Control Module
vincentkou98

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: engine stalling, intermittently won't turn over Reply with quote

Sorry, never got around to responding earlier, but glad you found out your problem. You should get the recall done, after all its free lol
1997 Mazda MPV 4WD (Towing Package)
Black & Silver 2 Tone / 4 Channel Amp (Components & Coaxials) / Sound Deadened Front to Back / 35W HID / Front, Side, OEM Rear Wind Deflectors / NOS Mud Guards / Aluminum Cluster Rings / Running 235/70/15s
1997 Mazda MPV 2WD
Black & Silver 2 Tone / Sound Deadened Doors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: