MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Camping in central California
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Camping in central California Reply with quote

We are looking for some suggestions or advice regarding a summer camping trip to California.

The plan (not carved in stone at the moment) is that DS and I will drive to San Fran, and DW will fly in and meet us there. We will probably spend a day or two in SF. Then we will have up to 16 days for the rest of the trip. This will be in late July and early August. We anticipate that the areas we are thinking of could be quite crowded, and that reservations will need to be made far in advance.

Primary places we are planning to go to: (1) Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia NPs.

We also have thought of driving up or down the coast. One idea is to go from Y/KC/S to Morro Bay (going overland) and then heading north along the coastal highway. We could also go north from SF along the coast.

We will be camping, and tend to prefer going to areas of natural beauty or historical interest. Going to visit a city is not something we typically do--staying in SF for a day or two is an anomaly for us. We also tend to do a lot of hiking. Eight or ten or fifteen miles for a day hike is quite doable. We're not into wine tasting, so the Napa Valley isn't high on our list.

Questions:

(1) How much time has anyone spent in Yosemite on a trip? Could we see and do most of the interesting things in just two or three days, or could we spend a week not be overdoing it? And I'll ask the same question for Kings Canyon and Sequoia. We are aware that we need to "bearproof" to a greater extent than we have done in Yellowstone or Glacier.

(2) Is driving up or down the coast worthwhile at this time of year? We have heard that it can be foggy along the coast in the summer and we have no strong need to drive a couple hundred miles in the fog! I have driven the coast during March, and that was a good time. If summer is not prime coastal viewing time, we can skip that for now.

(3) Are there other natural areas or parks in central California that are worth seeing? I have been told that I have a philosophy of "500 miles is not out of the way" when I am on vacation, so it doesn't necessarily have to be a spot that is right nearby--though nearby is better. Also, DW and DS don't handle heat well so going into the desert (for example, Death Valley) or to the south (Joshua Tree) will wait until another time when we can go during a cooler period of the year.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments/ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
allendavid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Camping in central California Reply with quote

Camping on the Central Coast gives you with a myriad of opportunities from beach camping in national forests. Write My Essay Extending from Point Monterey Bay, the California Central Coast contains six divisions and distortions to the Los Angles and the San Francisco.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Driving Fun and Road Trips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: