MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

97 All Sport - won't switch to 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arithmetik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: 97 All Sport - won't switch to 4WD Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have a 97 All Sport that had perfectly functioning 4WD until a few days ago (actually the first of cold weather for us in Colorado Springs). The last time I used 4WD was in the fall and it switched to 4WD and even locked the center diff with no problem.

Fast forward to February, we finally get snow here and I need to use the 4WD system. I activated the switch and the green light flashed for about 30 seconds then went off. The light went blank and then an alarm sounded. When I started the vehicle the next time, the alarm sounded again.

I know the visor states to take the vehicle in to the dealership for service, but it seems like it couldn't or shouldn't be a major issue, as I just used the system a couple months ago and it worked perfectly. The vehicle is not driven many miles - approximately 250 miles per month and is very well maintained.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick
Cybersombosis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 97 All Sport - won't switch to 4WD Reply with quote

Hi there. There is a solenoid under the tranny that may be frozen in the off position. I am only going by what I have read but if you have the service manual maybe take a look at that before climbing underneath. You should be able to move it by hand. I think it may be even run by vacuum hoses so you may want to read up on that too. From climbing underneath I recollect a rod with a rubber cover much like a cv boot but smaller. This is all from memory so take it with a grain of salt since no one has respond yet.

Doug

97' MPV All Sport 4x4
Black Widow 1600 Alarm, Uhaul class 3 tow hitch, K&N air filter, Bi Xenon HID retrofit.
arithmetik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 97 All Sport - won't switch to 4WD Reply with quote

Thanks Doug! I'll have a look.

Full disclosure, I do have a slow oil leak that blows oil all over the bottom of the engine over time. Could be that the sludge gunked it up.
poptop
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 All Sport - won't switch to 4WD Reply with quote

A little more info.
here is an old post:
There is a vacuum activated fork inside the front differential. This fork internally slides a locking ring to engage or disengage the front axle shafts. The main vacuum line comes off the throttle body thru a small one-way check valve up to the firewall vacuum reservoir then to two solenoids on the drivers strut tower The one closest to the firewall is the disengage solonoid and the one closest to the front of the car is the locking solenoid) . Then the two vacuum lines run down to the front left axle actuator. When you switch the 4X4 switch on and off the solonoids will allow vacuum to pass down to the actuator.This in turn moves the actuator rod either inward or outward which engages or disengages the internal fork. I never had a reason to do any troubleshooting on these parts but it looks like you may be able to manually disengage the 4X4 mode by pulling the actuator rod away from the pumpkin. To engage 4X4 push the rod towards the pumpkin. You may have either a bad solonoid or a vacuum leak (broken rubber hose, leaky resevior, leaky actuator, bad check valve or something completely else.)

1990 4X4 V-6 5-speed
1991 2WD V-6
1994 2WD V-6
Scion Xb
A pile of old timing belts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: