MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skoorbmax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Gebco wrote:
It`s been a while since I posted. Our 2002 MPV has 113000 kms and has the dreaded door rust. The front passenger door and the fender area in front of it have extensive surface rust, and the door has the rust in the creases. Usually when that happens, we go looking for another vehicle, so online I went to look at used vans with low kms.

Unless you want a Caravan, you are paying ridiculous amounts of $ for even a used van. My DW wants leather, psd and moonroof again. There is nothing under $25000 USED in a Sienna or Odyssey with reasonable km, and even the Kia-Hyundai twins are ridiculously priced.

So, it looks like we'll be looking for a used door with no rust and get the van repainted. Love the MPV, but I am disappointed in the early rust. Even our previous Caravan had no rust when we traded it in.
Could be worse. My 2004 MPV with 96k--which hadn't seen a speck of snow or salt in its life until 2006--started showing rust around door creases in early 2009. Took only three winters. Every door now has rust on the creases, two of the front ones severely, the entire area of weather stripping below all brown and nasty. I ripped it all back and put on some rustproof paint, but the rust is coming from behind it. I even ripped the doors open to rust proof from the inside, but nothing can be done. I also have some rust on the rear hatch and wheel well area. It is still at the point that with clay bar I can make most of it very temporarily go away. I project that within a year it will be impossible to hide and go the way of some other MPVs I've seen on the roads with perforation.

Back to thread, it's unfortunate minivans are dying but they clearly are. I am not sure who to blame but the "I'll never buy a minivan" crowd really has put a nail in the coffin. Only a few brands still left making these things. People put far too much stock in how others view their vehicle and thus do silly things like buy a massive SUV instead of a minivan. The end result is that the few of us looking for functionality have fewer remaining choices. I have a neighbor who's hard up for money but bought a full size SUV recently with a ton of miles on it simply because his wife refuses to drive a minivan. Now they are sporting 15mpg and have an unbelievable amount of miles on their vehicle they don't need.

2004 MPV LX , sold May, 2011
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

not sure if you'd call this a minivan but it would fit the european definition of an MPV, they're not shipping any more Kia Rondos I heard.....
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Skoorbmax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

vkc wrote:
not sure if you'd call this a minivan but it would fit the european definition of an MPV, they're not shipping any more Kia Rondos I heard.....
I hadn't heard. Just googled it and the heading of the article says "nary a whimper", so no surprised.

You want the truth? The Rondo is a hideously, awful, and ecstatically ugly vehicle. A lot of Kia's current vehicles look really sharp, the Rondo is not one of them.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/19/kia-rondo-discontinued-in-u-s-market-with-nary-a-whimper/

2004 MPV LX , sold May, 2011
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: