MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aspalmacin
Retired from IBM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

I'm new at this but I love my MPV. I just got a CEL that the kid at Advanced Auto Parts read out with his OBD as "bad O2 sensor". How many O2 sensors does a 2002 ES have? What is/are the Bosch part numbers (from what I read here, Bosch is the manufacturer of choice).

Thanks.

Al Spalmacin
nls
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

Four or six depending on whether it is federal emissions or California emissions. The code should have specified which O2 sensor was at fault.
http://www.mpvclub.com/diy.php?id=56 has the list of CEL codes, and the ones which have H02S are associated with oxygen sensors.
aspalmacin
Retired from IBM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and the chart location, nls.

Code on the OBD was P0051, which from the link you supplied identifies "HO2S heater (Front, LH) circuit low." My ES has 72,000 miles -- and is not a California model -- so it might be best to replace all 4 sensors now, except it's Christmas time and my wallet might not stand that big a hit right now.

Can they be replaced in stages? If so, which ones first -- both Fronts, then both Rears, or what? And what Bosch part number should I make sure is installed -- Universal or Identical ("identical" sounds closer to OEM but I'm not experienced enough to distinguish between the two)? I went to oxygensensorsforless.com to see what was available but there's too many choices.

Al Spalmacin
nls
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

The SEARCH feature on the website is pretty powerful, you can find lot of information by entering the keywords. Here are some links.

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=18274
http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=17893
http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=15688

No reason to replace all the sensors - I have only replaced one so far on my 2000 MPV with close to 125000 miles. OEM sensor will come with the right connector, so it is lot less work in trying to figure out which wire on the sensor to splice to which terminal on the connector, since the wire colors might not match.
aspalmacin
Retired from IBM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, nls. The posts for P0051 were very helpful.

I'll take a look tomorrow and see if my hands can reach the O2 sensor (had an operation this year and my right hand has lost some flexibility). If I can reach it and it appears I can remove the old one, I plan on buying the Bosch "OE Identical O2 Sensor" (part# 15314). Does that part number sound like the correct one for P0051 fix?

Boy, this forum and website is a godsend. Thanks for all your help.

Update:
I did some more checking on parts availability and the location of the O2 sensor referenced by P0051 code. Bosch lists part 15314 as being replacement for "O2 sensor located in front manifold/exhaust pipe," and the P0051 code says "... (front, LH) ....". If I stand on the driver's side of the engine bay, at the end opposite to the serpentine belt, the LH side should be the side closest to the radiator, right? If so, then Bosch 15314 is the correct part and other posts here that say 15708 is the way to fix P0051 are wrong. Have I missed something here? We only have one car, the MPV, and I can't afford to have the car out of service while I replace the wrong O2 sensor with the wrong part.

BTW, looking down between the radiator and the engine, I can just see the tip of a sensor on the manifold but it's tilted toward the radiator, not straight up-and-down. Is this the correct sensor? And I want to apologize for all the time and space I'm taking on this forum but I'd like to get this right. You've all been very helpful so far and I really do appreciate it.

Thanks.

Al Spalmacin
nls
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

Perhaps some others who have had this problem will respond, but I would trust the information contained in the posts by bubba. He hasn't posted in the forum for quite some time now, but gave invaluable advice in very detailed posts with photographs and part numbers.

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=165661 and http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=21259 have some useful information, although not directly associated with P0051, and with earlier models, which might have a different sensor layout.

Have you tried clearing the code to see if it come back right away? The CEL on my MPV would go off for months after a reset before coming back on again. Buying even a very basic OBDII code reader saves a lot of hassle.
aspalmacin
Retired from IBM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

Good news -- I found a local mechanic who will replace the failing O2 sensor. He's OK with me supplying the part and will charge only for labor (about $40). I called Bosch Parts and verified that the Bosch OE sensor with connector, part# 15314, is the correct part for error code P0051. I promptly ordered it from OxygenSensorsForLess.com for about $61, including shipping.

The best part is that I don't have to crawl under the car to replace it myself (space was somewhat tight and my right hand isn't as nimble as it used to be).

Also, I don't have to give Mazda $280, which was their estimate for replacing the O2 sensor. BTW, Mazda wanted $99 just to hook up their scanner and verify that the code truly was P0051, before they would give me an estimate for the repair. If I chose not to accept the estimate and not have them do the work, they would keep my $99. If I paid the $99, it would be deducted from the final bill. I finally asked to talk to the Service Manager and coerced him into giving me the $280 estimate based on my assurance that P0051 was in fact the error code. I told him I understood their reluctance in taking my word for it that P0051 was the code, but I questioned why they had to charge $99 just to hook up their scanner when Advance Auto Parts did it for free. I got a very entertaining song-and-dance but no real explanation for the unconditional $99 charge.

And finally, the CEL went out while I was driving around town trying to get the estimates. I suspect it will come on again -- its done so twice now in the space of 1 week -- but at least the repair is lined up (as soon as the part arrives).

Thanks again for listening and teaching me what I needed to know in order to avoid being taken.

Al Spalmacin
nls
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

You might want to take a look at http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=176126, which mentions Bosch 15314 as being suitable for the P0031 code, and also of the sensor being wired wrong from the factory.
aspalmacin
Retired from IBM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

I can't comment on the mis-wiring or the apparent interchangeability of the two parts (15314 and 15708) and the two error codes (P0051 and P0031). The tech rep at Bosch confirmed that 15314 is the right O2 sensor to address the P0051 code. He didn't say that 15708 might also be used. He spoke only of 15314. I have to accept that what he said is correct.

Now, because both parts operate in the same environment, i.e., before the catalytic convertor, they're probably identical internally, and because they've been installed interchangeably (or at least some of the posts hint at that) they probably have the same connector. The only external difference I guess is the length of the connector wire. And if there was sufficient slack in the computer side of the connection, the difference in length might not even be noticed. Unless the electrical signal arriving at the computer was altered by the difference in cable length. Might be a slight but nonetheless sometimes detectable difference in the signal, enough to sometimes cause an error code to be thrown.

All of which is a guess. Heck, you guys know more about this than I do. Why do 15314 and 15708 seem to be interchangeable?

Al Spalmacin
Bach4660

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

the US sure gets better prices, Napa online showed the O2 sensor for $79, but at Napa Canada the cost is $236.000 for the NGK, I don't even dare ask what a dealer would charge
aspalmacin
Retired from IBM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

Bach4660:
You have my sympathy regarding the Canadian prices but they do vary here in the US, as well. Advance Auto Parts, who kindly scanned the P0051 code for me, listed the price of the Bosch OE Sensor 15314 on their web site as $113US. while others, like OxygenSensorsForLess.com had it for $49US and another similar site had it for $46US but their shipping and handling charges nullified the savings. I don't understand why online merchants think we won't shop by price -- they set their prices as if we didn't know or couldn't learn of the other suppliers on the web. It's just silly.

Anyway, my episode with the sensor has given me the opportunity to discover a reasonable local mechanic, and one who, if the repair works out well, will get all of my future business. In support of the Mazda dealer, however, I must say they allowed me to supply my own oil (Mobil-1 5W-30) and filter for my oil changes. So I can't understand why they tried to impose an unconditional $99 diagnostic fee -- maybe they have to do that to pay for their new upscale building.

Al Spalmacin
aspalmacin
Retired from IBM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

Just to wrap things up, the failing sensor was replaced over a week ago and it solved the problem. No more CEL, at least not for that problem. We've driven over a 150 miles since then with no problems to report.

I want to thank publicly the people who responded to my questions. You saved me a great deal of time and trouble with your quick and accurate advice. This forum is great. I can't thank you all enough!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Al Spalmacin
nls
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

So did you find out whether Bosch 15314 and 15708 are interchangeable, and what the differences are between them?
ponderosaTX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

I replaced the original equipment LH pre-cat O2 sensor (corresponding to a P0051 code) in my 2003 ES (76,000 mi) with a Bosch 15314 about one month ago. The Bosch wire length is 2-3 inches longer than the original equipment Denso part, but that did not cause any problems.

Every web source that I checked (including the Bosch web site) with the exception of some MPVClub postings stated that Bosch 15314 was the correct part. I have not seen a Bosch 15708 sensor except in pictures but it is listed in all the web sources I checked (except MPVClub postings) as an OEM equivalent for the RH pre-cat O2 sensor, which might explain why the wires do not match when it is substituted for a Bosch 15314 sensor.

I ordered my Bosch 15314 sensor from Amazon for $45 with free shipping (because I am an Amazon Prime member). I just noticed that the price at Amazon has now dropped to $39. Strangely, Amazon wants $62 for the Bosch 15708 sensor even though it has a lower "list" price.

If I were doing the repair over again, I might buy the equivalent Denso part instead. The Bosch sensor is significantly larger than the OE Denso sensor. I feel more comfortable using an exact replacement for an OE part unless there is strong evidence that an aftermarket equivalent is as good or better.

If I knew a mechanic who would install an O2 sensor in my MPV for $40 using a part I supplied, I wouldn't do the work myself. I paid almost $300 to have the RH pre-cat O2 sensor replaced about 6 months ago. After getting fleeced, I decided to get my hands dirty and do it myself when my next O2 sensor failed.

Watch out! Doing your own repair work can become an obsession. I just replaced all of my spark plugs (with Autolite APP104 Double Platinum plugs) and a ruptured PCV hose (with the third generation factory part) which forced the issue, a few days ago. Of course, I would never have had the temerity to pull the intake manifold on my MPV without the step-by-step instructions provided by this site. Thank you, Bubba.
hildac07
先生

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 Sensor for 2002 MPV ES Reply with quote

Pandora Jewelry
Jordan 11 Red
Yeezy Shoes
Nike Outlet
Air Force 1 Shoes
Nike Shoes
Christian Louboutin Shoes
KD Shoes
Moncler Outlet
Adidas Shoes For Women
Lebrons Shoes
Pandora Charms Sale Clearance
Jordan 11
Pandora Jewelry 70% Off Clearance
Moncler UK
Pandora
Adidas Outlet
Retro Jordan 11
Timberlad Boots
Yeezy Boost 350 V2 Beluga 2.0
Polo Ralph Lauren
Nike Air Max
Pandora Canada
Chaussure Air Max 90
Cheap Pandora Charms
Nike Shoes For Women
Puma Shoes For Women
Red Bottoms
Longchamp
Pandora Sale

Hilda Cole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: