MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Do It Yourself On An '04 ES???
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdp72

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Do It Yourself On An '04 ES??? Reply with quote

Has anyone installed the following items in their MPV and how difficult was it to install?

Roof Rack
Trailer Hitch Wiring Harness
Mirror, Compass, Auto-Dimming

I am probably going to order this stuff from MAZDASTUFF.com and was curious how detailed the instructions were, or if they even came with instructions. Also would you recommend doing this yourself, or having a "professional" tackle these items.

I am mechanically inclined and can work on the engine, but I usually pawn the electrical stuff off to some else. I was going to get a DVD/monitor installed at like TWEETER or BESTBUY, and could probably pay them to also add the above items...but would probably like to save the money and do it myself... What do you guys think???
TeamEskimo
MPVClub Preacher
Yer walkin' the plank!
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Do It Yourself On An '04 ES??? Reply with quote

Can only speak to one of them - the trailer hitch. I got a class 3 Hidden Hitch off etrailer.com, and installed it myself in a little over an hour. You can find a couple of threads regarding trailer hitches using the search feature. Instructions were very clear and easy to follow. I also got the Mazda wiring kit, which was another hour, and also had very detailed instructions. I'm not usually an electrical guy either, but the mazda kit is plug and play - no splicing...

From what I've seen on the board here, generally Mazda accessories come with good instructions. If you're even only somewhat mechanically inclined, think you should be all right...

Brent

2002 Sunlight Silver LX - 63,000 miles - 4 Seasons, Luxury, Security Packages, Rear Air, Cassette, Roof Rack, Step Plate and Cargo Net
'03 Dodge Neon SXT - 84,000 miles
'98 Chevy Suburban Diesel 4x4 - 158,000 miles, 6300 lbs, 23 mpg - Big rig!
jdp72

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Do It Yourself On An '04 ES??? Reply with quote

Yeah I figured the hitch would be pretty easy to install, but I'm not big into splicing wires and such. If I ever picked up a 2nd job in a bomb squad I don't think anyone would pick me as the guy to choose between which 2 wires to cut... KA-BOOM!

Anyways, I noticed that on every e-tailer site I go to they only lists hitch compatibility for '00-'03... I assume it will also fit my '04 ES? But they list a with Ground Effects and w/o Ground Effects. This is a stupid question, but do all the ES models come with Ground Effects?

Also, do you guys know if there is a MPV HOW TO site like the Ford Focus guys?

http://www.myfordfocus.com/howto.htm

THANKS!

Last edited by jdp72 on Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:57 am; edited 2 times in total
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Do It Yourself On An '04 ES??? Reply with quote

The '04+ has a slightly different GFX standard now. IIRC, the hitch specifically for the GFX will work on the '04+, but you may want to search a bit here to make sure.

We have our own DIY forum and section here (though it's probably not as extensive as the one you referenced): http://www.mpvclub.com/diy.php or http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewforum.php?f=12

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
jdp72

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Do It Yourself On An '04 ES??? Reply with quote

Hmmmm... I did a search and I guess the '04 GFX and muffler has some clearance issues, which is why none of the major hitch manufacturer's list a hitch for the '04 and '05.

I figured the Ford Focus, just due it's younger and larger market, would have more DIY and more aftermarket accessories. I just like the layout of their DIY forum and how detailed it was... It's real handy.

This is our first mini-van, with our 3rd baby on the way we figured it was time. I'm sure you'll see me around a lot around here... I'll probably end up doing all of that stuff I listed above myself, so I'll snap a few pictures along the way just in case someone needs the information for future installs.

Anyone with any hints, tips or suggestions on the roof rack and the rearview mirror install?
JT MPV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Do It Yourself On An '04 ES??? Reply with quote

I purchased an MPV roof rack kit recently for my '03 ES but haven't had a chance to install it yet. It comes as a complete kit with instructions and mounting templates to help you drill the holes in the correct location. The only "gotcha" with it is that it uses "rivet-bolts" for the mounting bolts. These are threaded and flanged rivets that drop into the holes you have drilled in the roof. The instructions refer to a special tool you screw into the rivet to collapse them inside the roof, leaving only the flange outside (kinda hard to describe, but simple in theory). Not being a Mazda dealer, I don't have the special tool, but I'm pretty sure I can get a bolt and a crossthreaded nut from a hardware store that will accomplish the same thing. I hope to get around to installation in a couple of weeks if it warms up. I'll let you know how it goes. If you beat me to it, please post your tips/techniques. Good luck,
-JT

'03 MPV ES
CheapScotsman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Do It Yourself On An '04 ES??? Reply with quote

On my 2003, the hitch took about an hour and it took about 2 hours to do the wiring kits ... These threads have some good info on installing both the hitches and the wiring kits.

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=1206
http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=39813#39813

Test drove a 2001, looked at 2002, finally got a CDN 2003 LX, Mid Blue, Alloy Wheels, Four Seasons, Towing Pkg, Roof Rack ... now at 71,000km
1982 Honda Civic ... now at 165,000km
1984 Honda Prelude ... retired at 280,000km
jdp72

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Do It Yourself On An '04 ES??? Reply with quote

CheapScotsman wrote:
On my 2003, the hitch took about an hour and it took about 2 hours to do the wiring kits ... These threads have some good info on installing both the hitches and the wiring kits.

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=1206
http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=39813#39813

Thanks for the help... I saw those. The '04 has exhaust, and sometimes GFX clearance issues. Actually to install the factory hitch you need to install an '03 exhaust, WEIRD!

Well I hope the Curt hitch thing works... It says on their website '04-'05 compatible.
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Do It Yourself On An '04 ES??? Reply with quote

I've made a new thread just for the hitch install: http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=10253

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
dpsantoli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Do It Yourself On An '04 ES??? Reply with quote

i installed a trailer hitch from etrailer.com and it was fairly easy(no drilling) i ordered a factory trailer wireharness from an out of state mazda dealer(much cheaper than my local dealer) and that was very easy to install. my van is a 2003. good luck pat
hildac07
先生

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Do It Yourself On An '04 ES??? Reply with quote

Adidas Sneakers
Lebron Shoes
Louboutin Shoes
Adidas Outlet
Moncler UK
Yeezy Boost 350 V2 Beluga 2.0
Polo Ralph Lauren
Louboutin Shoes
Timberlad Boots
Retro Jordan 11
Pandora Jewelry 70% Off Clearance
Pandora Bracelets
Pandoras
Pandora Charms Sale Clearance
Nike KD Shoes
Louboutin Heels
Pandora Charms
Chaussure Air Max 90
Louboutin Shoes
Air Max
Puma Shoes
Air Max Shoes
Yeezy
Air Force 1
Nike Outlet Store
Longchamp Handbags
Nike Shoes For Women
Nike Shoes For Men
Jordan 11 GYM Red
Pandora Sale
Pandora Canada
Moncler UK
Red Bottoms

Hilda Cole
ploy2018

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Do It Yourself On An '04 ES??? Reply with quote

Ralph Lauren Sale
Lebron 15 Shoes
Vapor Max
Ultra Boost
Pandora Jewelry
Stephen Curry 4
Coach Outlet
James Harden Shoes
Coach Outlet Store
Kate Spade Outlet
Yeezy 350 V2
Pandora Charms
Clark Shoes
Under Armour Outlet
Longchamp Outlet Sale
Michael Kors Outlet
Red Bottom Shoes
Ecco
Nike Air Max 2018
Nike Lebron 15
Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 V2
Kyrie Basketball Shoes
Pandora Outlet
Curry 4
Kate Spade Outlet
Nike Air Uptempo
Jordan 11 Space Jam
Ralph Lauren Outlet

Patricia Loy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Do It Yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: