MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Fire in exhaust system
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alifeldman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Fire in exhaust system Reply with quote

My husband and I changed the engine in our 2003 MPV ES early last summer, but have ran into one problem after another. Once the engine was in it started up fine and sounds great, but after running for several minutes it starts to smoke out of the engine compartment. We did have an oil leak at the oil pan gasket and thought that was the culprit as it was leaking onto the exhaust manifold. After changing that and cleaning off the top of the exhaust manifold we started it again, and again, and again. Each time it begins to smoke from the engine compartment and sounds like there is a fire inside the exhaust manifold. We are probably going to have it towed into a local mechanic at this point, but is there anything you can suggest before we go to that expense?
alifeldman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire in exhaust system Reply with quote

Okay guys, I finally gave in and had my van towed to a local mechanic. They looked through it as well as they can and it has a completely plugged Catalytic converter on the right rear. This is causing the exhaust to get incredibly hot and that is where the smoke and possible fire is coming from. This also would cause the trouble I was having getting it started before the engine had to be replaced. This has been one heck of a journey. Hopefully they get the new cat in tomorrow or the following day, it can be installed the same day it is delivered, and then I can be on my way. The mechanic did say that there is a misfire, but that they are not getting a code for it and it could be caused by the plugged exhaust. My fingers are crossed. Just thought I would leave a follow up for anyone that read my question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: