MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Cigarette lighter not working but fuse OK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Cigarette lighter not working but fuse OK Reply with quote

I often use the cigarette lighter (accessory socket) to power a small air pump to blow up bike tires. Recently, the pump cut out, and I found out that there were bare wires leading to the pump that had touched. After that, the outlet did not work for any other items (e.g. GPS), but the accessory socket in the rear of the van was OK. I thought it would be a simple matter to replace the fuse for the outlet in the dash. The handbook indicates that the relevant fuse is inside the cabin, and is number 26, and the rear accessory socket is number 14 (both 25 amps). However, both fuses looked OK, and I when I switched them, the rear outlet was still the only one to work. So what it causing the cabin outlet to fail, and what can be done?

Any help much appreciated.
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cigarette lighter not working but fuse OK Reply with quote

I seem to remember some sort of mistake about what fuse does what. See what else might not be working, and if you find anything, see what fuse is for that device and check that fuse. Failing that check every fuse.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cigarette lighter not working but fuse OK Reply with quote

It's been a while, but IIRC when my wife's cell phone charger shorted out it took out not only the cigarette lighter but some other stuff, too, and there were two fuses that we had to replace before everything started working again. So go ahead and take a flashlight and visually scan every fuse in all of the fuseboxes (two under the hood, and maybe another one inside near the driver's seat).
tzagi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cigarette lighter not working but fuse OK Reply with quote

Every lighter socket has a shunt built into it
remove the socket, remove the small nut from the back, you will find an assy of 2 washers hooked together with a wire (thats the shunt) with a fiber washer in between them
remove the shunt, or just remove the fiber washer , redo the nut, You got a working lighter again.

2000 mpv
Denton, Texas
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cigarette lighter not working but fuse OK Reply with quote

tzagi wrote:
Every lighter socket has a shunt built into it
remove the socket, remove the small nut from the back, you will find an assy of 2 washers hooked together with a wire (thats the shunt) with a fiber washer in between them
remove the shunt, or just remove the fiber washer , redo the nut, You got a working lighter again.

This confuses me. If I am reading that correctly, then that would mean the lighter socket never worked from the factory and you have to do this procedure to make it work. But his was working, and no one in here ever had a nonworking lighter socket from the factory. Did this guy's stop working because someone skulked up in the middle of the night and inserted the fibre washer? Regardless, if he goes in behind there and tests the wire that feeds it and finds it has no power, then no fineggling of any apparatus attached to the back of the socket can help.

MPV gone Sad
tzagi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cigarette lighter not working but fuse OK Reply with quote

No,
I understand its hard to imagine, the easiest way will be for you to take one apart, takes a few seconds.
The shunt is a built in fuse, it goes when you overload it...in this example via an air pump.
by removing the fiber washer you bypass the shunt and the socket comes back to life.

2000 mpv
Denton, Texas
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cigarette lighter not working but fuse OK Reply with quote

OK so by shunt you mean fuse, and you want to bypass the blown fuse. I've never seen a lighter socket that had that. None of the ones in any of my other cars have, at least the one where I have been in there. In the centre at the back they have a threaded stud that the power goes onto, and it's the same piece that the tip of the lighter or device touches on the inside. If my MPV had one, well, It could have and I never noticed? Maybe these days since they aren't for lighters anymore they don't bother with it now?

MPV gone Sad
tzagi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cigarette lighter not working but fuse OK Reply with quote

In the past..they didn't have them
All modern cars have them, most people don't take the sockets apart...so they dont know it exists, or recognize it for what it is.
And yes, I'm talking about the mpv, I already had to remove them off the front and rear sockets due to the use of an inverter(that blew them up).

2000 mpv
Denton, Texas
Roxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cigarette lighter not working but fuse OK Reply with quote

Just to finalize this:
The fuse behind located on the back of the socket itself had blown. All the "regular" fuses in the fuse boxes were OK. I ordered a new socket from Mazda (about $25) and replaced it. Works fine now.
I could have bypassed this fuse, as suggested above, and probably have the socket work, but then I would be relying only on the fuse in the fuse box (this could be perfectly fine and safe - but I'm not sure)
hildac07
先生

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cigarette lighter not working but fuse OK Reply with quote

Pandora Charms Sale Clearance
Jordan 11 GYM Red
Jordan 11
Louboutin Shoes
Timberlad Boots For Men
Pandoras
Yeezy Beluga 2.0
Moncler UK
Yeezys
Adidas Outlet
Air Max Pas Cher
Pandora Charms Sale Clearance
Louboutin Shoes
Chaussure Air Max 90
Nike Shoes For Women
Pandora Jewelry
Puma Shoes For Women
Air Force 1
Adidas Sneakers
Christian Louboutin Shoes
Polo Ralph Lauren
Retro Jordan 11
Moncler Outlet UK
Nike KD Shoes
Pandora Bracelets
Longchamp Handbags
Pandora Sale
Nike Outlet Store
Red Bottoms Shoes
Nike Shoes For Men
Christian Louboutin Shoes
Pandora Jewelry Canada
Lebrons Shoes

Hilda Cole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: