MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Heated seat kit install DIY - 89-98 mpv
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
New '98 and feelin' great
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Heated seat kit install DIY - 89-98 mpv Reply with quote

I'm not sure who to contact to move threads over to a different part of the forum so I'll just make a copy of it here, where it actually should be Smile

So I got this Dorman Universal Seat Heater kit on ebay for a steal by winning the auction for it for 30 bucks. I got away like a fat rat since the normal price is between 70-90 bucks (ouch). I was bored last night and the daughter was sleeping...finally some time for myself (yea right)! I had nothing to do so I said, hey why not yank my seat out in 25 degree weather @ 1am on a Sautrday night, bring it inside and install the kit?

Here is a DIY on it. I've put up a DIY last year on installing a heated seat kit but the board was hacked and all was lost. It took me about 1.5 hours to get the seat out and to get the kit in. I'm assuming that it will take more than 1.5 hours for most as I have already done this DIY. This should be for all mpvs from 89-98 as I'm under the assumption that the cloth and leather seats are virtually the same. Please forgive me as I have pics of almost every single thing I did but I figured if I make it as detailed as possible it would help a member want to do this DIY even if they thought of it but may have gotten discouraged due to lack of know-how or nerves or whatever reason.

Enough of my pre-babble. Here's a list of the tools and supplies you would need:

Heated Seat Kit (wire element or carbon fiber, doesnt matter as long as its universal)
Socket wrench w/ 12mm and 14mm sockets
Needle-nose pliers
Small wire cutter
Philips screw driver - flathead optional
Knife
Pack of 20+ long zip-ties/cable ties
Courage

First we have to remove the seat. In my case, it was the drivers seat. Use your philips screwdriver to remove the gas door access cover.

Remove the two bolts to remove the gas access from the seat base

Next is the e-brake. Remove the two bolts to remove the e-brake from the seat base

Then, disconnect both the e-brake sensor and the seat belt sensor

This was a thorn in the buttocks, but for a minute or so. Remove the plastic clip from the seat base with your needle-nose pliers as that's the connector side that goes into the car...grrrrrr

Grab the philips and remove all 4 seat bolt covers. 25% done!

Next, get the socket wrench w/14mm socket and remove the seat bolts. Keep in mind, if your seat has never come out of your mpv, those bolts will be a problem. You can use an impact gun if you have one or get a pipe that can slide over your wrench for extra oomph. I almost called it quits for the night until i remembered my warhammer, an 18" monkey wrench lol about 5 taps shocked the bolts loose

Bring the seat back forward and lift the seat out the mpv! The edges of the base are sharp so be careful not to scratch your door panel removing the seat...somewhat heavy. 50% done!

Green Machine (Green '97 ES) - 90K!
JDM chrome power-folding side mirrors with heated mirror retrofit/JDM chrome grill/JDM rear spoiler/Android 6.2" D-Din Navi/Four 7" Farenheit monitors/heated seat kit retrofits,1st and 2nd row/Crimestopper remote start

chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Heated seat kit install DIY - 89-98 mpv Reply with quote

Now that you have the seat in front of you, it's time to install the heated seat kit. Here's the kit. Comes complete with pads, wire harness, instructions and even a hog ring kit with many hog rings although I barely used them. You'll see later on down this DIY

Patient waiting for its new implants...

Lay the seat on its back to expose underneath it. Three hog rings are in the front. Grab the pliers and begin to twist them off. They are kind of tough to remove IMO. You can grab a flathead or knife, whichever is thinner, and pry the hog ring open at the point where the two ends meet. Then you should be able to twist the hog ring enough to be able to wriggle them out. In the middle there was a zip-tie that held the seat belt connector in place. If you have one, clip it off as well.

It gets crazy here...there are six hog rings that need to be removed from underneath the seat. You will need a lot of patience for this lol. You can lose about 10 minutes but save a lot of heartache by removing the seat base. Remove the 4 seat base bolts with your socket wrench w/12mm socket. I didn't have to but I wish I did as I thought of it after I was done removing the rings...

The plastic clips holing the seat belt connector needs to be removed in order for the leather/cloth to be pulled back far enough for the pad install. Use pliers and unclip them. They are right where the first hog rings were.

Now it's time to peel the leather/cloth off a bit to expose the foam where the pad will be stuck to but not before you remove 6 more hog rings lol

Yesss! All six removed!

Grab a pad and begin to position it onto the foam. You want to have the wire towards the back and away from the active part of the seat. This model kit has an opening in the middle which coincidentally is the same width as the gap in the foam. Perfect! Who would have thought?

When you find the spot that you prefer the wire enters through the foam, grab your knife and begin cutting. I didn’t make too big of a hole, just something small enough to get the connector through. Have a long enough knife that is able to pierce through the bottom of the foam.

When you reach the bottom, open it a little bit more with your finger to pass the wire through. Pull most of the wire through.

Remove the adhesive from the pad and re-position it back onto the foam. Make sure to spread the pad evenly to prevent any bumps from appearing. If they do, remove the pad quickly and re-position. I should have had the wire going straight down into the foam instead of more towards the center but I was thinking that I didn't want to get too close to the railing thinking the wire would interfere with something but it is better to just have the wire run straight down from where it is. I'll be doing that with the next 3 chairs.

Now it's time to attach the leather/cloth back onto the foam. Pull the leather/cloth back down over the foam and spread out evenly to prevent any bumps. I tried using the new rings that came with the kit but that proved difficult for me as I've never used hog ring pliers or installed new hog rings, and the space was too tight for me to work the hog rings in position. So I broke out my pack of zip-ties and used those as the substitute. Worked out much easier, so much easier that I used nothing but zip-ties to button the bottom back up! It would have been nearly impossible to try to use the hog ring pliers for the bottom six hog rings even if the base was removed anyway. The seat would have had to be disassembled just to replace those hog rings on the bottom...not worth it especially when zip-ties work just as great and is much easier to use. Oh yea, on the last three ties in the front, tie the seat belt wire back just as it was before it was removed. Use the small wire cutter to clip down all the extras.

Time to do the back part of the seat! Much faster than doing the bottom.

There are 6 hog rings at the back of the seat. Remove those hog rings.

Remove the armrest. To do so, you'll need to access the zipper. The zipper is hidden on the inside. Lift the arrest up and use your pliers to pull down the zipper. Unzip and pull back the leather/cloth a little just to expose the bolt.

Begin to work the leather/cloth up the seat. Be easy when bringing it up because you don’t want to damage the leather/cloth while moving it past the armrest part. When you get past the armrest part, you'll see two hog rings going across the middle of the backrest. Remove those two hog rings.

No need to go past those two hog rings as there's more than enough space to position the other pad.

Position the other pad over the backrest, wire towards the bottom. Route the wire into the groove of the foam toward the bottom of the backrest where it will come out. When the pad is in the perfect position, remove the adhesive and apply the pad onto the foam.

To conceal the wire, you can fish it through the back adjuster cover. Keep the wire behind the seat adjuster mechanism to prevent any interference.

Now we have to button up the backrest. Use twist ties to take the place of the upper two hog rings that were removed. Pull the leather/cloth back down over the bottom of the backrest, being mindful of the armrest part again. This time I used the hog rings that came with the kit to button it back up.

The seat is complete. Now onto the wiring. 75% done!!!

JDM chrome power-folding side mirrors with heated mirror retrofit/JDM chrome grill/JDM rear spoiler/Android 6.2" D-Din Navi/Four 7" Farenheit monitors/heated seat kit retrofits,1st and 2nd row/Crimestopper remote start

chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Heated seat kit install DIY - 89-98 mpv Reply with quote

Okay wiring time. Place the seat back in your mpv, no need to bolt down for now. You want to be able to connect the wire harness connectors with the heating pad conectors. First, check to make sure you're getting power from the fusebox. You'll need to change the fuse tap to a mini as the fuse tap supplied with the harness is atc. Autozone and Advance sells the same type of fuse tap for Dorman products. It comes in a kit and has different size fuse taps, including the mini tap. Its about 2 dollars.

After you get the fuse tap kit, look at the fuse panel. You'll see two 15-amp fuses on the bottom of the panel. Above the two fuses you'll see two 10 amp fuses. The 10-amp fuse on the left is for the instrument panel and cruise control and the 10-amp fuse on the right is for the fog lights. You'll use the inst. cluster/cruise control fuse since the power since its only active when the car is in the ON position. You don't want the fogs since your lights will have to be on in order for the heated seats to work. Connect the power wire to the fuse on the left. Next you'll need a ground point. Here's how to get to the closest one...

Remove the side panel

Then look to the left inside and you'll see the factory ground point

Remove the screw, re-install screw with the harness ground wire back onto the ground point

Then connect the harness and the pad connectors together and flip the switch. On the switch itself, low power should be an amber light and high power is red. If you got power in the switch then congrats your heated seat is ready to be used and you'll just have to tuck away your wires under the carpet with zip ties to give it that nice factory look

I chose this spot. The manual says to use a 25/32 drill bit...of course I didnt have one. I used a 1/2 inch bit and used a much smaller bit and made the hole a bit bigger until the switch fit through

to tuck under the carpet, grab your Philips and remove the screws to the kick panel. Remove the kick panel and lift the carpet up. Place wires underneath and fish up to the fusebox. Bolt down your seat and screw in the seat bolt covers, reconnect seat belt and e-brake connectors, bolt e-brake back onto seat, bolt gas door access onto seat, screw back gas door access cover.......project complete!

aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Heated seat kit install DIY - 89-98 mpv Reply with quote

Shocked well done,can't believe you tackled this project at night time. I'd be leery to do this project though since I have no leather seat Laughing
* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
* 2012 Mazda 5 Touring with S&S - clear water blue mica
chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Heated seat kit install DIY - 89-98 mpv Reply with quote

thx! yea the daughter was sleeping and i was bored out of my mind so instead of playing call of duty, why not knock out the seat kit lol

very quick install for me, 1.5 hrs to remove seat and install kit, another hour for wiring and switch install. very useful diy to deal with those cold days/nights lol

as long as your cloth isn't glued into the foam you're good to go. i'm not sure if the gen 2 mpvs have glued cloth but the cloth wasn't glued for the gen 1's. plus its much easier for a cloth install since the fabric is more flexible than the leather and your buns will get warmer much faster on a cloth heated seat than a leather seat.

if your cloth isn't glued, i say go for it. about 70-90 dollars and some time and you'll have a great additional feature to your mpv buddy.

aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Heated seat kit install DIY - 89-98 mpv Reply with quote

nah, i'm not handy at all to do this project but you documented well. Being in Cali, heated seat is not a must. What I admire about the 89-98 MPV owners, you guys are true enthusiasts....like I found out the other day that one of our members here has a turbo MPV Shocked
* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE

Last edited by aha on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Heated seat kit install DIY - 89-98 mpv Reply with quote

ahh you're in cali yea not a necessity at all lol. yea mpvtt is his name. he dropped a twin turbo engine from a nissan 300zx or something. str8 nutz.

aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Heated seat kit install DIY - 89-98 mpv Reply with quote

aha wrote:
nah, i'm not handy at all to do this project but you documented well. Being in Cali, heated seat is not a must. What I admire about the 89-98 MPV owners, you guys are true enthusiasts....like I found out the other day that one of our members here has a turbo MPV Shocked

Edit - apparently using the word h-ar-d c-o-re is considered bad word. Rolling Eyes

* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Heated seat kit install DIY - 89-98 mpv Reply with quote

lol...the mod/amin must be angelic

20171202yuanyuan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: 20171202caihuali Reply with quote

canada goose cyber monday
christian louboutin outlet
michael kors outlet
canada goose black friday
ray ban sunglasses
air max uk
chrome hearts outlet
ralph lauren outlet
coach outlet online
giuseppe zanotti outlet
tory burch outlet
tory burch outlet
ugg outlet
marc jacobs outlet
ralph lauren polo
canada goose jackets
cheap jordans
adidas nmd
coach outlet
salomon shoes
fitflops shoes
moncler jackets
coach outlet
kate spade outlet
timberland boots
ray ban sunglasses
pandora jewelry
coach outlet
polo ralph lauren
longchamp handbags
coach outlet online
ugg boots
michael kors outlet online
yeezy boost
hermes outlet
converse shoes
vans shoes
uggs outlet
canada goose outlet
swarovski outlet
pandora jewelry
true religion jeans
birkenstock outlet
christian louboutin shoes
coach outlet
michael kors handbags
nike factory outlet
coach outlet
ralph lauren uk
cazal sunglasses
yeezy boost 350
canada goose outlet
uggs outlet
birkenstock sandals
ugg outlet
cheap jerseys
oakley sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
hermes belt
michael kors outlet
true religion jeans
nike roshe
prada sunglasses
michael kors handbags
new balance shoes
mont blanc pens
oakley sunglasses
michael kors uk
true religion jeans
michael kors outlet
cheap jordans
uggs outlet
coach canada
dansko shoes
oakley sunglasses
michael kors outlet
christian louboutin online
ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet
cheap jerseys
adidas sko
coach outlet online
canada goose outlet
canada goose parka
ugg outlet
michael kors outlet
swarovski outlet
ray ban sunglasses
kobe bryant shoes
air huarache
ecco sale
uggs outlet
polo ralph lauren
nba jerseys
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses
fitflops sale
polo shirts
ugg boots clearance
mcm outlet
lacoste soldes
ugg outlet
oakley sunglasses
nike air max
prada handbags
michael kors handbags
swarovski crystal
ralph lauren outlet
true religion jeans
prada outlet
michael kors
michael kors bags
coach outlet online
air max 90
michael kors factory outlet
moncler outlet
true religion jeans
air max 1
nike shoes
ray ban sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
michael kors outlet
air max 90
oakley sunglasses
longchamp handbags
canada goose outlet
michael kors outlet
prada shoes
ray ban sunglasses
cheap nhl jerseys
polo ralph lauren
michael kors wallets
nike roshe one
true religion jeans
fred perry polo shirts
ray ban sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
michael kors handbags
michael kors
chrome hearts
canada goose outlet
longchamp outlet
cleveland cavaliers jersey
michael kors outlet
kate spade outlet
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors outlet
polo outlet
mulberry handbags
ralph lauren polo
polo ralph lauren
basketball shoes
mbt shoes
hermes outlet
ysl outlet
oakley sunglasses
fitflops shoes
canada goose jackets
cheap nfl jerseys
pandora jewelry
air max trainers
ugg outlet
coach outlet online
canada goose jackets
mac cosmetics
ralph lauren polo shirts
coach outlet
asics shoes
canada goose outlet
mulberry bags
polo ralph lauren
jordan shoes
coach outlet online
cartier outlet
bottega veneta outlet
burberry outlet
coach outlet online
canada goose jackets
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
coach factory outlet
canada goose outlet
coach outlet
tory burch outlet
coach factory outlet
coach outlet online
ugg outlet
mulberry handbags
oakley sunglasses wholesale
supra shoes
coach outlet
ugg black friday
polo outlet
ugg outlet
canada goose jackets
ugg boots clearance
ray ban sunglasses
pandora jewelry
ferragamo outlet
nike trainers
uggs outlet
canada goose outlet
coach handbags
oakley sunglasses
canada goose outlet
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
canada goose outlet
nike free 5
coach outlet
ugg outlets
oakley sunglasses
nba jerseys
coach factory outlet
adidas wings
nike store uk
links of london
ray ban sunglasses
cheap snapbacks
burberry outlet
uggs outlet
air huarache
uggs outlet
coach factory outlet
ugg boots
ugg boots clearance
adidas shoes
nike trainers
fitflops sale clearance
oakley sunglasses wholesale
canada goose jackets
polo outlet
cheap mlb jerseys
ralph lauren polo
puma shoes
uggs outlet
michael kors outlet
canada goose jackets
jordan shoes
ugg outlet
ugg boots clearance
nike trainers
michael kors outlet
canada goose outlet
nhl jerseys
canada goose outlet
mulberry handbags
air max 90
mulberry sale
hermes birkin
ugg boots clearance
nfl jerseys wholesale
reebok outlet store
true religion jeans
polo ralph lauren
reebok trainers
swarovski outlet
coach outlet canada
lakers jerseys
cheap jordans
canada goose outlet
ugg outlet
michael kors handbags
ray ban sunglasses
polo ralph lauren
longchamp handbags
nike outlet
kate spade outlet
air jordan 4
longchamp handbags
coach outlet online
canada goose outlet
huaraches shopping
air max 90
oakley sunglasses
uggs outlet
Girls shoes
coach outlet
ugg outlet
cheap mlb jerseys
ugg outlet
pandora charms sale clearance
ray ban sunglasses
ugg outlet
adidas outlet store
coach outlet
canada goose coats
moncler jackets
oakley sunglasses
ugg outlet
soccer jerseys
canada goose outlet
true religion jeans
ralph lauren uk
new balance shoes
jordan shoes
ray ban sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
converse shoes
kobe shoes
tods outlet
ugg boots
michael kors
chicago blackhawks jerseys
fitflops outlet
polo ralph lauren
puma outlet
ferragamo outlet
swarovski crystal
true religion outlet
polo ralph lauren
thomas sabo
oakley sunglasses
uggs
michael kors outlet
football shirts
canada goose jackets
ugg boots clearance
kate spade outlet
coach outlet store online
adidas nmd
longchamp pliage
ray ban sunglasses
fitflops
tory burch outlet
michael kors outlet
nike air max 2015
coach outlet
ralph lauren polo shirts
mulberry bags
louboutin shoes
ugg boots
cheap jordans
true religion jeans
ugg outlet
michael kors
tory burch outlet
christian louboutin uk
longchamp pas cher
ugg boots clearance
mont blanc pens
uggs outlet
nike air max 90
kate spade outlet
ugg boots
nike blazer pas cher
canada goose jackets
canada goose jackets
kicks nice
ugg outlet
canada goose outlet
polo ralph lauren
ugg boots
longchamp solde
ugg outlet
true religion outlet
toms sko
true religion jeans
true religion outlet
swarovski outlet
ralph lauren polo
jordan shoes
polo outlet
herve leger outlet
pandora charms sale clearance
burberry outlet
polo ralph lauren
moncler outlet
tory burch outlet
ugg outlet
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet
montblanc pens
ugg outlet
nike foamposite
canada goose jackets
ugg outlet
michael kors outlet
futbol baratas
nike shoes
longchamp bags
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet
oakley sunglasses
ferragamo shoes
ralph lauren pas cher
ugg boots
coach handbags
nike store
ugg outlet
soccer shoes
coach outlet online
burberry outlet
nike air force 1
fitflops sale clearance
coach outlet
nike outlet
kobe 9
moncler outlet
moncler outlet
lacoste polo shirts
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses
ralph lauren outlet
lebron james shoes
adidas uk
oakley sunglasses
canada goose outlet
canada goose jackets
uggs outlet
kevin durant shoes
cheap snapbacks
adidas trainers
polo outlet
tory burch outlet
nike outlet
ugg boots clearance
michael kors outlet
canada goose outlet
nike outlet
true religion outlet
true religion jeans
oakley sunglasses
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet
ray-ban sunglasses
canada goose outlet
michael kors black friday
longchamp outlet
ecco shoes
ferragamo outlet
ugg outlet
longchamp solde
longchamp outlet
kate spade outlet
fitflops sale clearance
michael kors outlet
ferragamo outlet
ugg outlet
mulberry handbags
ferragamo shoes
ray ban sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors handbags
true religion uk
polo ralph lauren
tory burch shoes
ray bans
vans outlet
ed hardy clothing
coach factory outlet
coach outlet
ugg cyber monday
mulberry outlet
soccer jerseys
coach factory outlet
ugg outlet
ugg outlet
michael kors outlet
pandora charms
oakley sunglasses
mulberry outlet
michael kors handbags
canada goose outlet
coach outlet
nfl jersey wholesale
ferragamo outlet
fitflops
michael kors outlet
canada goose outlet
valentino outlet
polo ralph lauren
20171202caihuali
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Do It Yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: