MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

New Job!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: New Job! Reply with quote

I am really happy that I checked and saw that that Alex and crew managed to restore the site. Thanks, guys!

After retiring almost 1-1/2 years ago, I was getting pretty tired of just messing around, so I decided to find something to do that I really liked. That is opposed to the last real job that I had and hated. To be clear, I loved the company and people, I just hated the job itself. Anyway, I digress. I've volunteered on Battleship Texas for almost 20 years and have been both a docent (tour guide) and run the volunteer docent program for about 10 of those years. I know that I do that well and love it, so after looking around, I found The Part Time Job! I am now a tram tour host for Space Center Houston that gives tours on the Johnson Space Center campus. I not only get to take visitors into Apollo Mission Control, but even the International Space Station training building. One of the best parts is to explain the launch sequence of the Apollo Saturn moon rocket as we walk around the real thing that would have been Apollo 18 if the moon program hadn't been cancelled after Apollo 17.

This is both fun and an opportunity to learn a lot. Plus, they pay me to do it!
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Job! Reply with quote

awesome Very Happy
2004 A-spec Touring Edition (look it up)
instagram: Tangofury
Added Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings
Added Exhaust: Cherry BOMB Glasspack, 22" X 3" TIP
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Job! Reply with quote

Same here, good to see the site back up and running......

Congrats on the new position, ctom! Now you've got my curiosity (and that's with a lower case, not upper case, "c") going.

As for Apollo 18, they may be dusting things off soon.....https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/nasa-has-big-plans-moon-it-s-not-only-one-ncna806646

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Job! Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new job! But I have to say that seeing the Battleship Texas (BB-35) is on my list of things to do. I've toured both the Alabama and the Wisconsin, and I'd like to see how an older ship compares. A lot of history on that battlewagon!
Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Job! Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Congratulations on your new job! But I have to say that seeing the Battleship Texas (BB-35) is on my list of things to do. I've toured both the Alabama and the Wisconsin, and I'd like to see how an older ship compares. A lot of history on that battlewagon!

Dan, BB-35 is my specialty. PM me if you ever make it down this way and I will make sure you are worn out climbing ladders before you leave! Btw, you are right. If you have toured Alabama, then you must visit Texas to see both ends of the evolutionary scale. I don't include the Iowas, because they were modified too much in the '80's to be representative of historic battleships. Since Alabama is not only unmolested and shares almost identical engineering and armament, she is an excellent example to use.
\
ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Job! Reply with quote

vkc wrote:
Same here, good to see the site back up and running......

Congrats on the new position, ctom! Now you've got my curiosity (and that's with a lower case, not upper case, "c") going.

As for Apollo 18, they may be dusting things off soon.....https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/nasa-has-big-plans-moon-it-s-not-only-one-ncna806646

Lower case "c", I got that! Very Happy

It's funny, one company has been reverse engineering some of the F-1 first stage engine components (1.5 million pounds of thrust each) to help their design efforts. One of the things they did was to recondition the turbo pump used to feed kerosine (RP-1) and liquid oxygen (LOX) at a combined rate of 3 tons per second. It works exactly like a car turbo in that it runs off of exhaust gasses, but with two very big exceptions. First, there are two turbine assemblies run off of a common shaft for the RP-1 and LOX. The other is that it actually contains a rocket engine to produce the exhaust gasses to spin the turbines. The mind blowing result is that each turbo pump produces 55,000 shaft horsepower!!! On a complete engine, the exhausted gasses from the turbo pump are ducted to the lower extension ring of the rocket nozzle assembly where it forms a boundry layer temperature of 1,500 degrees that keeps the lower nozzle from melting from the 5,000 deg. + engine exhaust! What's really crazy is that you can see that boundary layer in the slow motion close up films of engines during lift off. There are strange dark areas around the top of the white hot exhaust where it exits the nozzle. That is the cooler turbo exhaust gasses. Anyway, they rebuilt the turbo pump and fired it up without the exhaust collector. The video was posted on You Tube. I practically jumped up and ran from my computer! And to think, its only purpose was to serve as a fuel pump for a single F-1 engine!!! Now, tell me what's not to like about hanging around and telling visitors about that! I'd pay them to do it, but please don't tell them that!
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Job! Reply with quote

ctom3 wrote:
.......It works exactly like a car turbo in that it runs off of exhaust gasses, but with two very big exceptions. First, there are two turbine assemblies run off of a common shaft for the RP-1 and LOX. The other is that it actually contains a rocket engine to produce the exhaust gasses to spin the turbines. ........

hmmmm....a hybrid?!

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Off-topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: