MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Mazda 5 vs. MPV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
604MPV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Mazda 5 vs. MPV Reply with quote

Hi,

We're thinking about replacing our '02 MPV with a 1st generation Mazda 5 GT.

One of my concerns about downsizing is the loss of space; something we've always loved about the MPV.

Noticed a few members here have owned both and just wondering what your impressions are between the two. Is there anything you miss about the MPV or what stands out with the 5?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Cheers!
Manitoba MPV
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda 5 vs. MPV Reply with quote

Hi 604 -

Good question. I've owned two 1st-gen MPVs ('90 & '97), but never a 2nd-gen ('00+), so my comparison will show more contrast than comparing your newer MPV to a 5 would.

Handling - The 5 wins here with its lower centre of gravity.

Gas mileage - Again, a big win for the 5 - it uses roughly 2/3 the fuel of the MPV.

Space - A win for the MPV. Miss that 7th seat sometimes.

Serviceability - Pretty much a toss-up. The 1st-gen MPV is generally easy to work on, but the 5 is excellent for a FWD vehicle. I don't mind changing the timing belt on the MPV, but it's a non-issue w/ the 5's timing chain.

Seating position - I like the higher seating position of the MPV for visibility.

Rust resistance - Here in moderate rust belt land, the 2nd-gen MPVs were very bad for rust, especially through about '04. So far, the 5s have been good - I've just seen rust starting around the rear wheel well where it meets the rear bumper on a couple of older ('06 or '07) 5s. No perforation yet.

Features - Big win for the 5 w/ an input jack on the stereo, and audio controls on the steering wheel.

Durability - Hard to say. The 1st-gen MPVs are excellent (ours is > 300K km w/o a major repair) and I'm hoping the 5 does as well long-term.

Manitoba MPV

'82 GLC 1.5 5-speed ('82 - '95); '79 GLC Sport 1.4 5-speed ('87 - '89); '85 626 2.0 5-speed ('97 - '05); '90 MPV 2WD 2.6 5-speed ('96 - '01); '95 Bawngo GL Super 9 pass 2.0 5-speed ('03 - '04); '97 AllSport 2WD 3.0 auto ('01 - ?); '01 Protege 1.6 5-speed ('05 - '13); '09 Mazda 5 GT 5-speed ('13 - ?)
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mazda 5 vs. MPV Reply with quote

you can find this in the forums but member aha had both
2004 A-spec Touring Edition (look it up)
instagram: Tangofury
Added Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings
Added Exhaust: Cherry BOMB Glasspack, 22" X 3" TIP
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mazda 5 vs. MPV Reply with quote

The space in the 5 is actually very accomodating since the 2nd row seats can slide forward/backward much more than the MPV. However, I always love how MPV 2nd row can slide side to side for easy access to the 3rd row. also, with a newborn in hand, the connected 2nd row seats is the best - you can feed the baby without extending your arm.

your best bet will be to visit the showroom or if you can rent the 5 for a day to be sure. I regret selling my MPV honestly, it could've been just a back up car.

the mpv and the 5 do not drive the same way, owning both of them was the best car combo I ever had in my life so if you can spare your mpv, I just don't want you to regret it getting rid of it like I do.

* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
* 2012 Mazda 5 Touring with S&S - clear water blue mica
metalfab
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda 5 vs. MPV Reply with quote

I had a 03 MPV for almost 10 years. Fantastic vehicle that I regret trading in. I would have kept it is I knew I was going to go through the spazmatic car swapping that happened.

If it was 2012 again I would have kept the MPV until it was dead.
Second choice would have been to keep my first Mazda 5, which we bought in 2012.

In short, as far as space, handling and gas goes there are few, if any that match the 5.

For a family and personal reasons I like these benefits:

Middle row seats are independent, move forward/aft, more leg room, recline and have arm rests both sides.
Sliding doors.
More comfortable and better handling ride.
Dash layout, BT and USB port.

2015 Mazda 5 GS w/CP
Mazda OEM rack w/Thule Atlantis 1600
Mazda 1.25" Hitch w/ Thule Helium Aero

Past: 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GS, 2003 Mazda MPV DX
aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda 5 vs. MPV Reply with quote

Metalfab - are you back with the 5 now?
* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
metalfab
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda 5 vs. MPV Reply with quote

aha wrote:

Yes, and happily so! 2015 GS in Aluminum Mica Smile

2015 Mazda 5 GS w/CP

aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mazda 5 vs. MPV Reply with quote

Great move,man! How is it compared to the CX-5 as far as long distance driving comfort?

metalfab wrote:
aha wrote:

* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
metalfab
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mazda 5 vs. MPV Reply with quote

aha wrote:
Great move,man! How is it compared to the CX-5 as far as long distance driving comfort?

metalfab wrote:
aha wrote:

When we had the 2012 5 we did a few long weekend trips and a 3700KM road trip. We did a few similar long day trips and a 1600KM road trip with the CX5 last year.

From that experience I can say the 5 is better in the mountains in terms of knowing which gear to be in. In general the CX5 is laggy on the hills, unless you are controlling the gears.

Comfort-wise the front seat in both cars are very good. 2nd row the kids were not as comfortable in the CX5. This was due to the fact that the 2nd row doesn't recline or have arm rests. Also noticed that the 5's 16" 205/65 ride a lot nicer than the big 19" 215/55 on the CX5.

2015 Mazda 5 GS w/CP

aha
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda 5 vs. MPV Reply with quote

Thanks, I just sat on 2016 CX-5 boy....the instrument clusters are impressive but as soon as I moved to the back seat I hated it. First I don't like hump in the middle also I am so used to my MZ5 where the floor is flat not to mention sliding door or what not.

I'm scratching my head now, deep down in my heart I feel like trading my 2012 MZ5 for the 2015 - afraid they will not bring this awesome micro van anymore to US after next year.

* 2016 Kia Soul EV
* 2012 Toyota Sienna LE
js27614

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda 5 vs. MPV Reply with quote

we have Mazda 5 sport with dual transmission
and MPV ES / still running 173K miles on it /
Mazda 5 is great / sliding doors is a BIG plus if you live in city
never liked MPV - too small for minivan with costly maintenance / all the time something breaks / with horrible Ford transmission and good Porsche engine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Mazda5/Premacy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: