MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

98 LX front end vibration & wobble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevtrek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: 98 LX front end vibration & wobble Reply with quote

Just replaced both ball joints, both outer tie rods, driver front CV axle, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, brake pads, and rotors. Still getting a slight wobble at low speeds (35 MPH) and a pretty nasty shimmy at highway speeds (70MPH). Any ideas on what else would be causing this?

The tires have some age and I was thinking this may be the easiest thing to replace next but I'm not 100% convinced. Other possibilities would be the steering rack, inner tie rods, and control arm bushings but all seemed tight when checked.

Other possibilities, though unlikely, would be struts or mounts, wheel bearings, bent wheel, and engine mounts.

I did all the work myself and it's done right. Getting frustrated that the last round of parts did not 100% resolve it, although it is improved.

Ideas?
Kobaine28
Mr.E

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 98 LX front end vibration & wobble Reply with quote

check and see if your tires are out of balance im being told mine is out of balance shimmy at 60 mph
Brandon Victory
timoboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: 98 LX front end vibration & wobble Reply with quote

4WD? If so, this is kinda how they are. You can remove the driver's side axle/CV and I bet the vibration will be gone.
kevtrek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 98 LX front end vibration & wobble Reply with quote

Yes, it is 4WD. I thought maybe the axles also but it still seems like something is loose. I can live with it but I sure do wish I could isolate the issue.
kevtrek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 98 LX front end vibration & wobble Reply with quote

So, after a long hiatus I am back trying to isolate this vibration issue. Here is an updated list of what has been replaced. Each time I repair something it gets slightly better, but there has not been a magic bullet yet. I'm reaching out to see if anyone has any additional insight to this issue.

Shimmy is worst at about 60 MPH and continues well up to 80 MPH. I will say that when I take a hard bend in the highway it slightly improves which leads me to believe it could be inner tie rods or an internal problem with the steering rack. The force on these parts in a turn seems to keep them from wobbling.

Replaced:
Both Outer tie Rods
Sway bar links
Sway Bar Bushings
Ball Joints
Driver Side Axle
Driver Side Bearing
Steering Rack Bushings
Rotors & Pads (unrelated to the shimmy)
Two front tires & alignment

Items still in Question:
Inner Tie Rods
Passenger Side Axle (boot is torn)
Struts
Steering Rack Itself
Control Arm Bushings

Items I will rule out shortly:
Re-balance tires
chaseNYC
MPVClub Addict
New '98 and feelin' great
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 98 LX front end vibration & wobble Reply with quote

i don't mean to bump this from last year but about two months ago i also was getting the dreaded shimmy at around 45-60. it would come and go every 10 seconds or so.

i replaced my both struts and mounts, both ball joints, both inner and outer tie rods and both cv axles..shimmy still appeared. pissed off but more happy that my 4wd would work in the snow and not clack and get tight on me when turning...so i thought. nope, 4wd didn't work. even more pissed off to have an mpv that cant play in the snow....i took it back to the mech and let him drive. he immediately went straight for the passenger side axle after parking and driving her up.

he compared the installed axle to the original axle. the installed axle was smaller than the original. rockauto apparently boxed up the wrong axle. i purchased a replacement cv axle at a local auto parts store. same size as the original. he installed it....i got my 4wd back. that same evening i'm on the blvd heading home going around 50....and i noticed...NO MORE SHIMMY. the shimmy must have something to do with the passenger side axle and the tansaxle.

i see you haven't replaced your passenger side axle. replace it bud. it might be the resolution to the issue as it was for me.

Green Machine (Green '97 ES) - 90K!
JDM chrome power-folding side mirrors with heated mirror retrofit/JDM chrome grill/JDM rear spoiler/Android 6.2" D-Din Navi/Four 7" Farenheit monitors/heated seat kit retrofits,1st and 2nd row/Crimestopper remote start

IndiWest

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 98 LX front end vibration & wobble Reply with quote

I have a 93 w the 4wd, and I am looking to replace my half shafts due to the exact same problem (wobble from about 50 to 70mph). I have been ordering some Beck/Arnley parts and noticed that most of them are coming from China or Mexico... frustrating since I thought this was a good OEM replacement (and maybe it is). Would Beck/Arnley axles be an acceptable replacement? Or is there a better brand everyone prefers?

PS- What size are the front axle nuts by chance? Thanks

'93 MPV 4wd auto w/ tow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: