MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

2005 CEL already disconnected. How?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: 2005 CEL already disconnected. How? Reply with quote

I have yet to get into the panel or looking at the wiring, but Firestone told me the CEL has been disconnected. Any idea where I should look first? Or is there the possibility that the bulb just burnt out?
2001 MPV LX 114K
alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 CEL already disconnected. How? Reply with quote

I think I would ask Firestone for a clearer explanation before I delved into trying to repair this issue.
'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'60 Volvo PV544, '68 122S, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40;
'84 Prelude.
Henway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 CEL already disconnected. How? Reply with quote

They didn't investigate beyond OBD throwing CELs yet it's not showing on the dash--that's all they know.
2001 MPV LX 114K
CrazyChicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 CEL already disconnected. How? Reply with quote

It is unlikely that your light is disconnected. To do this somebody have physically brake into your car to remove instrument cluster and pull out socket with bulb from PCB. I bet that yours just burned out. I replaced mine last year for same reason. #2 Philips + thin pry-bar (like knife) and it back in business in ~10 min (considering you have replacement in a pocket).
2002 MPV LX ~180K
alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 CEL already disconnected. How? Reply with quote

Hmmm.
I wonder if you have to have a CEL lamp working just to scan.
My gut says no, but I have nothing to back that up.

'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'84 Prelude.
Henway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 CEL already disconnected. How? Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. It seemed a little too convenient that the CEL light was not working so I guessed foul play. I'm getting the classic "replace your darn rear coil packs and air intake hose and PCV valve" CELs. I had assumed the PO had disenabled it through evil genius. However, based on the fact he lived with the car for a year with no keyfob, no volume knob, a broken driver sun visor clip which causes the visor to get in the way, and an obvious hole in the air intake hose, perhaps he's not the criminal mastermind I thought.... Shocked
2001 MPV LX 114K
CrazyChicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 CEL already disconnected. How? Reply with quote

alschnertz:
You do not need CEL light working to scan or read codes, this is warning to you if system has problems it monitors for. If light does not work (in 99% it bulb itself), you simply don't know that you have issue, some times not just one.
Henway:
I just retired from being inspector-mechanic for North Carolina DMV. Once in a while we had vehicles with this light not working (vehicle failed inspection), but in most cases people just do not pay attention that they have bright yellow warning signal on their dash. If bulb burned out, you have no way to spot this condition until you came to annual inspection or your vehicle started showing symptoms of serious problems, so you ask Autozone or NAPA store to read codes for you and SURPRISE! you have them but no warning light. In addition it is not easy at least, and in most cases impossible, to stick your hand under the dashboard and disconnect any light on instrument cluster, not just CEL/MIL.

2002 MPV LX ~180K
alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 CEL already disconnected. How? Reply with quote

As I expected.
Relying on Firestone's analysis seemed a bit premature to me.

The point, that I did not do a very good job of making, was to suggest that the OP does a little more analysis and diagnosis before undergoing a repair. Frankly, the advice that Firestone gave the OP was ignorant and they should be embarrassed for providing it.

But what do I know. I'm not a licensed mechanic.

'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'84 Prelude.
Henway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 CEL already disconnected. How? Reply with quote

Firestone gave me the CELs. They're the typical coil failure codes and intake air codes. There's a hole in my intake hose. I said earlier that it's putting out CEL codes which Firestone read and gave me--I wrote that and thought it was clear.
I was asking if there's an easy way which the PO disconnected the CEL, and it seems as though there isn't. After fixing the stumble and CELs with coils and spark plugs, I want the CEL to work again. I'll eventually pull the panel and replace the light, which is the probable issue with the CEL.

2001 MPV LX 114K
CrazyChicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 CEL already disconnected. How? Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I need to correct myself. When you turn key in ignition to "ON" position BEFORE start engine, you will have all lights on a dash illuminated CEL/MIL including. That is a moment when you can check if this part of your system operational. If there is no problem, lights go off after engine start. So once in a while take a look at your lights before you crank and make sure you see CEL/MIL symbol.
2002 MPV LX ~180K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: