MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Is it possible to pull the engine from above?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alifeldman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to pull the engine from above? Reply with quote

I am willing to take a bunch of stuff apart/off in order to do so because safely lifting the van has been an issue at home...

*My original user name is alisonfeldman but due to issues with changing my email address it has become inactive Sad
alifeldman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the engine from above? Reply with quote

I should have specified that this is on a 2003 MPV ES
alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the engine from above? Reply with quote

I've never pulled any engine out of a MPV.
My gut says that it would drop out the bottom.

But for some reason, I think there was someone on this site that removed the engine from the top. IIRC, that person did a significant amount of disassembly/reassembly while the engine was in the car including head removal etc.

12ounce did an engine rebuild years ago. Hopefully he'll chime in.

'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'60 Volvo PV544, '68 122S, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40;
'84 Prelude.
alifeldman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the engine from above? Reply with quote

I have a manual and it does say to drop from below. However, with the tools and equipment that my husband has easy access to we wouldnt be able to lift the van off the top of the engine. I was hoping that even if we had to disassemble more we could possibly pull it out from above.
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the engine from above? Reply with quote

I would think with the exhaust and heads removed, along with all auxiliary belt driven stuff, it should be fairly easy to remove upward. You could also remove front cover and chains. There is a lot of work space around this engine... amazingly. When you get down to the basic crankcase, you will be surprised at how small it is in volume. Just follow the written disassembly instructions very carefully ... this engine is easily destroyed by "ignorance"; and removing things in the improper sequence.
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the engine from above? Reply with quote

You don't have to lift the car very high to drag the engine block out through the wheel well ... with wheel and rotor removed...if you chose to go downward. Be sure to use safety stands!
alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the engine from above? Reply with quote

alifeldman;

Give this thread a look...(I even posted in it 7 years ago!)
http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=24049&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This guy dropped the engine out the bottom.
Been a long time, but you may even be able to send him a PM for details.

'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'60 Volvo PV544, '68 122S, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40;
'84 Prelude.
Pele

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the engine from above? Reply with quote

I'm guessing best bet is to drop the engine and transmission all as one unit? (Leaving the Power steering pump and air conditioning compressor attached to the chassis to prevent draining of their respective fluids. Taking the alternator with the engine, as all the wiring disconnects at several large connectors on the right/passenger side near the coolant reservoir.)

I'm in the planning stages of my rebuild. Since we put 20K a year on the MPV, I'm about a year away from 200K. Gonna tackle several problems all at once. I don't want to get rid of her until 2023 or 500K, whichever comes first... And if it's running then, I'm gonna keep her running.

- Leaking timing chain cover gasket (gonna poke inside the engine, though it looked fine when I had the valve covers off.)
- Punchy 2-3 upshift (Potential trans rebuild.)

2003 ES - Coastal Blue Metallic - Side Airbags - Power Sliding Doors - Leather - Rear A/C (Original Options)

Self installed rear heat; heated mirrors, fog lights, large wiper bottle, Heavy duty wiper motor. Working on the whole 4-Seasons Package; Just need a transmission cooler.
revolver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the engine from above? Reply with quote

Might be safer and easier to drop the engine than pulling from above.
alifeldman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the engine from above? Reply with quote

I really appreciate this site and all the help I have gotten from all of you. My husband has been slowly taking the van apart as the weather permits (I wish the rain would just go away already - we are WAY over average). It looks to me like we would have to raise the van very high to get the complete engine under there but I could be overthinking it. We will see how things come together. I will definitely continue to post as we go along.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: