MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdmpv
Car Nuts!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

We still like ours, but it is getting old. 2000 LX with 223,000 miles. Runs well, everything works as it should. Pretty much routine preventive maintenance has gotten us this far, plus a radiator, foghorn repair, and new coils and plugs. Just returned from a 1,500+mile trip where we averaged 22mpg, and saw a high of 25mpg on one tank. Our family of five is outgrowing the van though, and we wish Mazda had a bigger replacement to look at, as the CX-9 is just too small.

'00 MPV LX, 223K miles, w/all the good stuff!
'02 MP5, 199K miles, daily-driven goodness! Gone to a home in need!
'90 Miata, 70K miles, perfect Florida car.
euro1990

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
SteveWF wrote:
My parents got our 2000 MPV brand new. i was in first grade. now i'm 18, driving the car i grew up with. replaced the speakers and radio, starter and alternator, me and my friends love it. only problem is the gas mileage is terrible. but its a great reliable car

Steve,

This reminds me... When we bought our van, our daughter was just 3 and could walk in the cabin without touching the top. Now she's 15 Smile You can say that our daughter did grow up with the van. Smile

Reminds me of our 84 Caravan. We got it used in 1989 when I was 11. I got pulled over and in a lot of trouble for driving it in 1991 at the age of 13. I took it to my first high school dance in 1994. Took it to college in 1996. Bought my own classic 88 Caravan in 2001 when my siblings kept needing the 84 for their own purposes. Brought the 84 out of semi-retirement in 2004 and chopped the top off. Had one heck of a fun summer that year. Sent her to the junkyard in 2006. Rust in peace, "Tameka."

I'm looking forward to getting a 04-06 MPV some time this year, maybe it will be my daughter's version of Tameka.

alexdmadman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Im 17 and my mom has owned our 2002 mpv since 2002. When i got my license it was handed down to me for my first car. I love my van. I recently upgraded the radio and put subsoofers in it. I have strobe lights in my headlights and foglights just for fun. My van has about 140k and still going strong. Few issues here and there with shifting but shes a fighter Smile

101_1971 - Copy (800x506) (640x405) (500x316).jpg

101_1971 - Copy (800x506) (640x405) (500x316).jpg - File downloaded or viewed 371 time(s)

101_1967 - Copy (450x325).jpg

101_1967 - Copy (450x325).jpg - File downloaded or viewed 382 time(s)

101_1968 (500x375).jpg

101_1968 (500x375).jpg - File downloaded or viewed 368 time(s)

Last edited by alexdmadman on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
euro1990

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Gotta get some interior lighting. The ladies go crazies for party lights.

Tameka:

SunSlayer (topless Tameka):

Quest (current van):
rajulshah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Hate it, failed safety inspection because the rear frame is rusted through. My workhorse is a '98 Accord (6 years older) and still going strong.

Having a difficult time finding a shop that wants to fix it. Hate to dispose it because we only have 85K miles and the interior is still very good. The outside got a Maaco make-up so looks decent. Everything works fine, but feel really let down. Will never buy a Mazda again and won't recommend it to anyone.

Oh yeah, we do live in the Northeast (NH), so salt and sand is routine.
2004pearlwhite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

2004 ES just turned 80k. Live in South (not near coast) so no road/sea salt, garage kept. Change oil, trans fluid, radiator fluid often. Changed out coils and plugs around 35K and 75K. EGK hose replaced and oxygen sensor replaced but other than one coil failing no real problems. My wife still loves it. Keep it clean and it looks pretty good outside. Inside still holding it's own after 3 grand kids. Leather a little darker than it was originally but no cracks or splits and no large stains. Plan on holding on to it until it starts to have problems only the Mazda Dealership can fix $$$$.
test_drive

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Wow, have not posted here in years. Surprised I still remember my password!

Original owners, bought in 2003. It now has 180000km. It has survived 14 hard Canadian winters (including a record cold stretch of -45C a few years back), lots of trips out of town and to the mountains, my son's entire hockey career (no NHL contract Sad ) including car pooling teammates and coaches, was used to teach him how to drive, carried my special needs daughter everywhere for her entire life so far, and still ticking. It has also been used to haul program materials for the wife's home based business for the last 5 years or so.

Considering I only get around to washing it 4 or 5 times a year, it's in pretty good shape. I lost the battle with rust this year -- it is now just beginning to show at the wheel wells. It will be visibly rusty at 10 feet, by next winter. The interior is still in good shape, and we've never had to recharge the AC or worry about the rear heating pipes.

The fuel economy is slightly worse than when new -- we used to use about 12L/100km in the city but now we regularly use 13+.

Other than regular maintenance:
- one of the radio buttons is broken (still works, just crooked)
- I replaced the brakes myself at 140000-ish kms, but the rotors needed resurfacing so I ended up paying anyways Sad
- had the normal oil pan leak at 120000kms, replaced the gasket with the $45 felpro part and switched to high mileage oil, solved the problem (I messed up my hand that weekend, anybody who says aluminum is soft, is lying Laughing
- replaced one of the coils at about 100000-ish km due to the occasional misfire
- on it's 3rd set of tires ... I think one of the rims has a bead leak, but at this age I'm willing to top the air up every couple weeks unless I find a deal on another rim
- had all the normal recalls done (fan module, PCV hose, hatch struts)
- had the end links replaced a couple times
- the driver's side power window is a little slow, but still works
- the driver's side sliding door power lock now only works half the time -- and at this age, I'm willing to let it slide
- maintenance is mostly done by me, it's only been taken in once in the last 2.5 years (basically, if it's too damn cold or if it would take more than an afternoon)

I'm kinda looking forward to a replacement (like the CX-5) but the MPV just keeps rolling, so it's hard to come up with excuses to buy something else.

2003 Mazda MPV LX in Coastal Blue
2005 Mazda6 v6 GT Sport in Dark Grey Metallic
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

See this post for how we like ours. Up to about 195,000 miles now.

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=242241#242241

Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
euro1990

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Ha, I last posted in this thread in Feb 2012, saying I hoped to buy a MPV soon. Well I did 2 months after that.

5 years and 110k miles later (now at 235k), we still love it. Very sad there is no true replacement for it. I'm sure our next van will be whale-sized since they're all huge now. I can see the advantage at times, but I like our little fun/nimble van. If I wanted a land-barge, I'd just get a Suburban Wink

And hey, it's pretty good in the snow too!

James
2004 ES
238,119 miles (13-Apr-17)
Ann Arbor, MI
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Yup Still got it Very Happy
2004 A-spec Touring Edition (look it up)
instagram: Tangofury
Added Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings
Added Exhaust: Cherry BOMB Glasspack, 22" X 3" TIP

minivan.jpg

minivan.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 166 time(s)

mpvwinning

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

I have been trolling this site for years - reading stories and looking for solutions to all of the common issues this van faces. Our MPV has 281,000 miles on it - purchased in 2002 when our oldest was barely 2, middle child was under a year, and our youngest wasn't more than a tadpole. Now, the oldest is driving our minivan and next week the middle child will be as well.

We have faced all the typical challenges (O2 sensors, coil pack, wires, plugs, tires, brakes, radiator, hoses, etc) - nothing we couldn't fix in the driveway of the 4 homes we have lived in while owning this van. It has seen kids born, first days of school, bickering kids, camping trips, countless road trips, first dates, arguments, Black Friday shopping, 3 moves across the country from the mountains to the beach and back in between. It really is part of the family. The kids have never known another vehicle - they do not expect to ever be without this, our beloved Mazda MPV.

Recently, our van has been a mixed bag of issues. Fuel mileage is off, rattle from engine (drivers side), hesitation, slow going uphill, rough idle, etc). We are awaiting a new MAF sensor in the hopes that this will cure our latest list of symptoms. The whole family is pulling for her - not because we can't afford to pay for a newer replacement van (we already have 2 possible MPV replacements lined up, if need be) but, because we are all so attached to 'THIS' MPV. Our MPV. The coffee stains. The rip in the carpet where the fire ring was loaded at the scrap yard. The missing interior lights. The rear seat belts that haven't worked in many many years...kidding! All of the broken accessories that we don't even notice anymore - or care about. This van is ours. Until she dies in a screaming engine blowing, oil spraying fit on the interstate - we will driver her till she just won't go anymore.

Then, we will buy a Corvette.
euro1990

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Great story, congrats on approaching 300k, hopefully you can get her running better and go beyond it.

My kids are small and we bought the MPV in 2012 when it was already 8 years old, but it's also the only family car they've ever known. We just got back from a 2700+ mile camping trip to the Alabama gulf coast, the old girl did awesome as always. Worst MPG with the camper was around 15.6, the best was 18.5. Still drives like new, now at 238k miles.

James
2004 ES
Ann Arbor, MI
mpvwinning

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Sounds like a great camping trip! We are planning a cross country trip this summer, but will likely rent something for the week.

Still working on the driving rough issues. Replaced MAF and its throwing a P1309 now - have new camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensors coming. Hoping it isn't the transmission, injectors, or PCU Shocked

She's only worth about $900, but I feel I owe it to the old girl to keep trying.
euro1990

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

mpvwinning wrote:
Sounds like a great camping trip! We are planning a cross country trip this summer, but will likely rent something for the week.

Still working on the driving rough issues. Replaced MAF and its throwing a P1309 now - have new camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensors coming. Hoping it isn't the transmission, injectors, or PCU Shocked

She's only worth about $900, but I feel I owe it to the old girl to keep trying.

Yeah, it was a great trip. I don't know why, but every time we take a long trip in our MPV and it's completely flawless (especially while towing nearly 2000 lbs), I'm always amazed for some reason. Like, "shouldn't this ancient van with a ton of miles and a Ford engine be on the side of the road somewhere??" Yet she just keeps cruising along.

Sadly, her #1 issue these days is rust starting to bubble up, but I suppose that's rather inevitable living in the midwest. I've got a good friend who does body work, I might have him help me improve the situation this summer.

As for your noise, I've cured engine rattles with hose clamps on the exhaust shields more than once. I think I have a fresh one getting noisy right now actually. Also, the water pump belt and tensioner is good for making noise. I deleted our tensioner a couple years ago when it got noisy, installed a belt from a 2007 Escape which just stretches over the 2 pulleys with no tensioner. Easy upgrade, however the cost of the tiny belt kinda annoys me at $15+. Hence, I grabbed one at the junkyard for free Smile

Good luck with your cam sensor replacement, hopefully that cures your CEL and gets her running better!

When we were at about to hit 200k and heading out west for a 3000+ mile vacation roadtrip, I replaced the timing chains and guides since I had a free set laying around. Why I had a free set of chains is a LONG story related to me replacing the engine in my Mazda 6, but either way, I had the chains, figured why not. I will say that the chain replacement seemed to gain the MPV a few HP, she was definitely more peppy after that job. Not sure if you have any desire to dive into that sort of job (it's an insane PITA), but at nearly 300k, I'm sure your chains are even more stretched than mine were at 198k.

James
2004 ES
Ann Arbor, MI
mpvwinning

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Long time Pee Vee owners - how do you like it now? Reply with quote

Luckily we haven't had any rust issues - only spent a short time in upstate Pennsylvania with the van - then to Florida and now in North Carolina. I think I'd prefer rust to this nonsense though Rolling Eyes

Drove it yesterday to Charlotte and back - van drives me crazy! Sometimes it runs pretty close to normal - other times...not so much. On the way (afternoon and warm) is was boggy on acceleration (generally up to about 30 mph) then runs just fine. Up hills was pathetic - only managing about 45 with RPM's steady at 3/4000ish. Later in the evening (cooler) it drove much better. Not sure if weather has anything to do with it - but I'm running out of cheap parts to replace to get this thing running right, LOL.

Camshaft sensor is going in now - thinking maybe IRMC could be a possibility too...or intake manifold gaskets? Only codes coming up at P0174 and P1309.

Oh, and it does this other neat thing now - sometimes the power break booster will go out and I have to press down on brake with everything to get the van to stop. Usually only once or twice a day. I checked for a vacuum leak and replaced the elbow going from the booster to the manifold (it was a little loose and stumbled the idle when I sprayed carb cleaner there). Hoping it isn't the brake booster because that could be a deal breaker for us as it is an expensive repair.

Still holding out hope though - never leave a van behind! Camping season is here and I'm anxious to load this baby up and get to the campground!!

Timing chain and tensioner I'm sure are worn as well - but not sure it could be the root of all of these problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: