MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Interior Carpet Cleaning Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kremhaus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Interior Carpet Cleaning Suggestions Reply with quote

Looking for a little help.

My wife and her daily iced tea dumped fell out of the drink console onto the passenger floor and matts. I pulled the matts and managed to get them clean with some oxy clean and and a little light scubbing. The floor carpeting is a different story. I put same solution on the floor carpeting, but the stuff wont come out. I know tea is a more hard-core stain than most, and seems to set in permanently on some substances.

Luckily, we have tan carpet, but it is still quite noticeable, due to the quantity that dumped. Unfortunately, I did not know she dumped this until a day after the accident, so it had a chance to set in.

Any recommended brands/solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Mazdaddy
Newbie Indy Resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Carpet Cleaning Suggestions Reply with quote

I've had some luck on household carpets by rubbing baking soda into the stain, then pouring a bit of white vinegar over the top of it. It lifts a good portion of the stain to the surface. Blot the remaining mess with a towel and repeat as necessary.
A mixture of your favorite hair shampoo and dishwashing detergent and water does a pretty good job for the whole overall carpet.
This has worked for me on gray colored carpet***USE AT YOUR OWN RISK***

'03 MPV LX Sunlight Silver
-Rear A/C.
-Roof Rack.
-Wheel Locks.
-Body-colored MAZDA hatch emblem
-Pinstripes and dealer advertising removed.
TeamEskimo
MPVClub Preacher
Yer walkin' the plank!
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Carpet Cleaning Suggestions Reply with quote

If you use the search function and type in "stain" you will get a number of threads relating to this. I didn't screen them all to see if someone had a solution to your problem, but my recollection is that they mention just about every stain remover known to man between them all...

Hope this helps!
Wink

2002 Sunlight Silver LX - 63,000 miles - 4 Seasons, Luxury, Security Packages, Rear Air, Cassette, Roof Rack, Step Plate and Cargo Net
'03 Dodge Neon SXT - 84,000 miles
'98 Chevy Suburban Diesel 4x4 - 158,000 miles, 6300 lbs, 23 mpg - Big rig!
Charlie's Dad
2 - Carseat Family

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Carpet Cleaning Suggestions Reply with quote

Zep make a couple of impressive cleaners that I use with a lot of success. I get them at Lowes hardware. One is an aerosol spray and the other is a pump. I use them both together for a "like new" result. However, these cleaners work best on greasy / oily stains such as asphault walk-off. The seriousness of your tea-stain probably requires another direct approach. I would recommend you get your house cleaned via a "steam extraction" method and have the company throw-in your van. It is important that the backing not get permanently stained as the stain will continue to telegraph through the fibers. You can trust me on this I am an Architect. Sometimes steam extraction is the only premanent fix. Tea is a particularly vicious stain medium. We actually use it to dye fibers for an antiqued look. i.e. it is a good permanent dye. Try to get it out immediately!

Best wishes and good luck!

'03 Silver LX - new
Roof Rack
Pwr Doors
Rear air
Step Plate
Aftermkts:
leather wheel
Mud guards
Ichibahn Dead Pedal (carbon fiber)
genwheeler
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Carpet Cleaning Suggestions Reply with quote

BlueMagic carpet cleaner is really good-- I picked up a can at K- Mart and have been impressed with it. I've gotten stains out I thought were untouchable. Another good carpet cleaner -- this one might be a longshot-- but if you know anyone who is a distributor for Melaleuca their liquid laundry detergent mixed with water (about 1 to 3) is the best carpet cleaner I've ever seen in my life. My wife used to be a distributor but dropped out. It was also a great hand cleaner (full strength)for removing grease and oil-- better than the stuff I get at Autozone.
91 MPV -- Gone but not forgotten.
04 Volvo V70
99 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Carpet Cleaning Suggestions Reply with quote

TeamEskimo wrote:
If you use the search function and type in "stain" you will get a number of threads relating to this. I didn't screen them all to see if someone had a solution to your problem, but my recollection is that they mention just about every stain remover known to man between them all...

Hope this helps!
Wink

Yeah Brent, I think we've covered almost every stain remover available to the consumer!

Best thing to remember is that stubborn stains can take multiple applications before they come out (if they come out). The worst is coffee with cream and sugar believe me! (or just ask Javadoc!)

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Carpet Cleaning Suggestions Reply with quote

papabear wrote:
The worst is coffee with cream and sugar believe me! (or just ask Javadoc!)
Quick'n Brite seemed to work well on coffee stain and it was there more than a year when I detailed the carpet when we were selling the car.
2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oldmedic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Carpet Cleaning Suggestions Reply with quote

I got desperate the other day trying to clean some grease and soot off my carpet and mats (I make amazing discoverys under stress). Went to the laundry room and stole my wife's Shout pretreat spray. Idea Saturated the spots, waited 5 minutes, and scrubbed with wet towel. Vola, clean! Not just clean but darn perfect. Shocked Found it works on chocolate, tar, and dried mystery spots. Think I'll water some down for general grunge cleaning as well. Very Happy
Located in Blue Grass state; home of beautiful horses, fast women, and bourbon whiskey

2003 Costal Blue ES
2002 Malibu LS
2005 Scion Tc
2000 Cavalier LS
grampi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Carpet Cleaning Suggestions Reply with quote

I use OxyClean. I'll put about a tbl spoon or two into and old spray bottle and then fill it with hot water (this helps it to disolve). Since we have the beige interior in our PeeVee, it shows everything! I've cleaned stuff as tough as tar out of the carpets with this stuff. Just spray it on, scrub it with an old toothbrush, and vacuum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Detailing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: