MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old_user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies Reply with quote

I would appreciate it if someone more experienced could comment on the following situation: there is a knocking sound, coming from the strut assembly when the car is lifted up and someone fiercely sways the strut assembly, applying the impact to the spring. The mechanic who checked the struts said that it is necessary to replace strut mounts but he personally does not have experience with Mazda. In 2 day he called and said that he had found strut mounts (72$ each) and ready to install them (180$ + alignment). When I asked him about the strut bearing (as I personally think that they cause the problem), he said that it might be a part of the strut mount or may be not.
Here is my question: is the bearing comes with the strut mount (in fact, I yesterday spent several hours looking through different on-line catalogs from ACdelco, Monroe (part #904958, KYB (SM5127))) they confused me even more than I was before, none of their parts look like a strut mount I saw on my VW, it seems they name “strut mount” the bearing plate, which actually may or may not come with the bearing. Therefore, I would appreciate if someone could define for me what is the strut mount in case of MAZDA MVP 2000. Does it look like the strut mount, shown on the picture? Looking into repair manual I would think so, but I am not sure.
Let me show what I have found...

Best,
Dmitry
MAZDA 2000 LX, 142000 miles , looks cool, runs great.
AUTOPAGE RS-900LCD
self-installed DRL (USA->CANADA)

Monroe "direct fit replacement kit". I think the ring, shown on the picture is the strut bearing.
904958.jpg

904958.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 3701 time(s)

Another variant of bearing plate, it seems to be very close to the original Mazda MPV bearing plate.
generic_oes_3232.jpg

generic_oes_3232.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 3675 time(s)

this strut bearing is very different from the strut bearing coming with Monroe kit, shown on another picture. Well, those bearings seem to have different shape.
bearing.jpg

bearing.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 3689 time(s)

this is the strut mount, which is very similar to the one I had on VW. Does MVP have something similar?
strut_mount.jpg

strut_mount.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 3761 time(s)

The diagram from the MAZDA 2000 repair manual. What do you call strut mount here? Item N10? Item N8 (this seem to be the bearing plate).
MVP_2000_manual.jpg

MVP_2000_manual.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 4101 time(s)

Old_user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies Reply with quote

Ok, it seems I am going to ask questions and answer them myself, may be it will be useful for someone else. The closer examination made clear the following things:
Best,
Dmitry
AUTOPAGE RS-900LCD

strut mount (its parts)
strut_mount.jpg

strut_mount.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 3623 time(s)

strut_bearing (its components, plastic)
strut_bearing_parts.jpg

strut_bearing_parts.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 3566 time(s)

strut bearing
strut_bearing.jpg

strut_bearing.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 3548 time(s)

Old_user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies Reply with quote

I have finally bought Monroe "Strut.Mate Mounting kit, part #904958 (Made in Taiwan), Tenneco Automotive. The content of the package is shown below. I hope that the nasty knocking sound will go away. But we will see, I am going to install the newt strut mounts and the bearings this weekend.

PS: Administrator, I would appreciate it if the topic could be moved to the "Suspension" section, my mistake! Embarassed Thanks!

Best,
Dmitry
AUTOPAGE RS-900LCD

one side of the strut mount
IMG_1679.gif

IMG_1679.gif - File downloaded or viewed 3560 time(s)

another side of the strut mount + the bearing
IMG_1681.gif

IMG_1681.gif - File downloaded or viewed 3494 time(s)

subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies Reply with quote

Moved to suspensions. BTW, thanks for documenting this! super

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Old_user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies Reply with quote

Well, the job was neither complex nor too hard, everything was within reasonable limits. It seems I was able to preserve the alignment - at least I think so, because the van runs good, the tires seem not to be affected by 300 km travel. I marked all parts (with white correction fluid, "Wite-out" Embarassed) and put them back, exactly as they were originally assembled (the strut mount has a special groove). I removed ABS sensor and think that it was a good idea - it can be easily damaged when one (an expert like me Embarassed ) removes the strut assembly. As I recall, I used only 12/14/17/21 metric sockets/a good piece of metal pipe/a lot of WD40. There is only one aspect - when you try to remove the strut shaft nut (NEEDLESS TO SAY - SPRING COMPRESSORS MUST BE USED, if you do not know what are they or you do not have them - you had better ask a car mechanic for help), some additional tools may be needed. For example, I used a screwdriver and a small metal rod (please see the picture) and only after that, I gently removed the strut shaft nut (THE SPRING COMPRESSORS HAD BEEN ALREADY INSTALLED).
When I disassembled the strut assembles I was unpleasantly surprised by the fact that the strut mounts, strut bearings (on both sides) were like new. Since I spend the whole weekend for this job (I must admit, I clearly saw that I should not replace any parts) I stubbornly replaced the strut mounts and 1 strut bearing with the parts from the kit, shown above), expecting a miracle. Test drive proved that all that titanic job/the replacement of the parts was done in vain, the knocking sound is still present. I contacted the mechanic who performed the diagnostics of my car and was promised "free alignment", his advice - "just bring the parts back" was given too late.
Conclusion:
I got some new experience, it was interesting job. Everything was done accurately, I used the torque wrench, the thread lock, nothing was damaged. But I spent the weekend and about 230$ (part + tools) and did not fix the problem, though. I think, next time it will make sense to go to a local Mazda dealer and ask them to diagnose the problem first, they know the car, most likely they will not make such a mistake.

PS: I am not sure if I am allowed to do that here, but anyway, if not, the message can be edited by Admin: I have at hands 2 secondhand strut mounts (I simply do not see any difference between my OEM strut mounts and the newly installed Monroe ones) and one brand new strut bearing (from my Monroe kit, I did not unpack it), Vancouver area, CA. If someone (from my area) needs those parts he can get them for a symbolic price.

Best,
Dmitry
AUTOPAGE RS-900LCD

Strut assembly was removed, I used the second jack to support the lower suspension.
IMG_1682.gif

IMG_1682.gif - File downloaded or viewed 3491 time(s)

the strut bearing can be seen. It is a little bit dirty, but there is no any clearance, it sits tight.
IMG_1691.gif

IMG_1691.gif - File downloaded or viewed 3460 time(s)

A combination of the screwdriver and a small metal rod helped me to remove the strut shaft nut .
IMG_1690.gif

IMG_1690.gif - File downloaded or viewed 3433 time(s)

We mark everything, we want to put all bolts to their original positions, we even want to distinguish between them (2 and 3 marks on the photo).
IMG_1697.gif

IMG_1697.gif - File downloaded or viewed 3491 time(s)

mtbr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies Reply with quote

If you still have that "clunk" in the front, you may want to check your sway bar endlinks. Those things will cause the noise going over any kind of bump or "quick" steering.
I think they cost about 45/each at the dealer
Where in vancouver area are you?
Old_user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies Reply with quote

mtbr wrote:
If you still have that "clunk" in the front, you may want to check your sway bar endlinks.

Of course, I have checked them then I removed the strut assemblies (actually, even before, because I was thinking that they could damaged). In my view they are OK, since they do not have any clearance at all.
mtbr wrote:
I think they cost about 45/each at the dealer

I changed them less than one year ago at Mazda dealer in the USA (the cost of each was 40$, the total cost was 280$ (labor + diagnostics)).

Best,
Dmitry
AUTOPAGE RS-900LCD
djsted

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies Reply with quote

...so what did that clunking turn out to be?

Hopefully you're still part of the forum.

I have the same clunking going on - it's especially worse when it's just starting out for the day and everything is relatively cold (I live in Orlando so it's never 'cold').

thanks,
m
touch_of_an_angel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies Reply with quote

i just bought a MPV ES and had the same noise in the front end driver and passenger sides replaced both lower control arms cause bushings were shot in them . immediate alignment and now smooth a quiet as new. got bot control arms for 100.00 on ebay Very Happy
djsted

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies Reply with quote

I also had the control arms (along with the bushings) replaced as well. Same noise continues unfortunately.
Dano

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies Reply with quote

I know this is an old post, but I'm not sure if the OP ever resolved their problem and thought I would add one thing for anyone else ever experiencing this issue:

It was mentioned that the sway-bar linkage was checked, but what about the actual sway-bar bushings where the sway-bar is attached to the vehicle frame?

Depending on how vigorously the strut assembly is manipulated, if movement is transferred to the sway-bar and those bushings are shot, it creates a clunking sound that is pretty hidden....

Just thought I'd mention it.
2k5es

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Front struts assembly (MPV 2000) for dummies Reply with quote

I have an 05 ES that I just replaced sway bar end links and both lower control arms, now it's on to both tie rod ends and strut mount and strut bearings, hopefully it will be as quiet as new! It's got 196,000 miles on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: